Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here are some pic of when i put a 06 head on my 05.....i did not use the dowel pins and had to mod the chain guide

it worked out good but the 06 head was milled .030 and that cause clearance issues,but i did start it up for a few minutes

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Buck....just curious.... but did you notice the exhaust water ports?

what pipe did you use.....05 pipe...or 06? just curious given the exhaust angle changes.....

why did you only run it for a few minutes??? anything we need to know about?

·
Oregon Coast Powersports
4,057 Posts
i didnt realize those were the only obstacles. the guide is no problem. i have some machinist friends that can probably take care of the alignment dowels with ease.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

what pipe did you use.....05 pipe...or 06? just curious given the exhaust angle changes.....

why did you only run it for a few minutes??? anything we need to know about?[/b]
the exhaust valves was touching alittle,i could hear a tap that did not sound right,thats when i pulled the head and clay checked it....[i know it was backwards]

theres another guy on one of those xc web sites i spoke with on the phone about this,and he has been running a 06 head on a 04 for over a year

i had my dasa pipe on it,it was a TIGHT fit,but it worked

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i didnt realize those were the only obstacles. the guide is no problem. i have some machinist friends that can probably take care of the alignment dowels with ease.[/b]
yeah,its not that bad

i was only doing it for testing,but i think the 04/05 heads are better for all out power

i was going to dyno the two heads if the clearance was better,maybe if i can get a stock height 06 head i may try it again

·
Registered
809 Posts
.030" off an 06 head that already has alot more compression than an 05 due to the smaller combustion chamber put you WAY up in compression. I looked into this conversion and I dont see where your going to benifit.

It would be a cool test but for one, find a 06 head thats not been shaved. It would also be nice if both heads were not ported.

·
Registered
593 Posts
we have had a couple of the "universal heads" for over a year.

if you are running an oof pipe it wont matter on exaust port angle.

·
Grandaddy
1,156 Posts
kam, myself, bbr, have all done this also. and i have gained pwr everytime, ????????? cant say for sure as every head had lots of port work

·
Grandaddy
1,156 Posts

why did you only run it for a few minutes??? anything we need to know about?[/b]
the exhaust valves was touching alittle,i could hear a tap that did not sound right,thats when i pulled the head and clay checked it....[i know it was backwards]

theres another guy on one of those xc web sites i spoke with on the phone about this,and he has been running a 06 head on a 04 for over a year

i had my dasa pipe on it,it was a TIGHT fit,but it worked
[/b]

very nice thred d-racer, thanx for the pix

·
Registered
133 Posts
I ran an 06 head on my 540 for about 5 months it ran pretty well it had a very nice wide torquey power band probably due to the motors displacement and the 06 heads decreased intake port volume and increased compression ratio.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just talked with a guy last night that said he put a 05TRX head on a 07 and GAIN 5HP+,he said the bottomend was not as strong but MID TO TOP was INSANE.........NOT SURE I BELIEVE HIM THOUGH about the 5hp

and i alway thought that the 06 and up bikes ive ridden did not feel as strong on the topend as my 05,but they do have more bottomend punch IMO

1 - 20 of 24 Posts