Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been using honda shims for a while now. but i was thinking of buying the hot cams shim kit for my 06 machine. i move around alot and go to europe on the summers and cant find honda dealers sometimes while doing work to my quad, instead of buying alot of shims from honda :( i was thinking of trying the hotcams shim kit out.

i remember some members had some issues with the hotcams shim kit on the intake side due to the TI valves in the 06+ models. has hotcams changed the material on there shims now? how many 06+ guys are running these with no issues?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i have been using honda shims for a while now. but i was thinking of buying the hot cams shim kit for my 06 machine. i move around alot and go to europe on the summers and cant find honda dealers sometimes while doing work to my quad, instead of buying alot of shims from honda :( i was thinking of trying the hotcams shim kit out.

i remember some members had some issues with the hotcams shim kit on the intake side due to the TI valves in the 06+ models. has hotcams changed the material on there shims now? how many 06+ guys are running these with no issues?[/b]

that's what i use is the hot cams shims, they come in a nice little plastic case. i have had no problems with them and have had the kit for a year now. i have valve cover off as much as on it seems...lol...spring prob remember!! i check valves all the time.

what problems have they had with them?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yea your mystery spring problem.

i remember a year ago or so, someone had a valve failure or something to that extent using the hotcams shims. i think the guys verdict was that the shims werent made for the 06+ TI valve at the time, and they were made for the 04,05 mahcines. but i have heard that they have switched the material and it now works fine. just like the hotcams and there adjustment they made to the cams.

well to the point, just wanted to know how everyones is holding up. shims themselves, valve clearances, the top of the valves where it contacts the shim.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I think someone was blowing artificial smoke up someone's rear end....

I have been using the HC shims since winter of 05...and have not had a single problem with them...

yes....you probably 'could' begin to 'stamp' these shims with the valve stem....(a small dent where the stem rests)....whereas the only 'issue' that would occur would be an increasing gap........which would probably be offset by the decreasing gap induced by the cupping of the valve face.... so in theory.....you would never have to shim your machine....LOL....(just kidding of course).....

the fact is this....Ti valves are softer than SS.... therefore there would be LESS damage to the shims...so I cannot for the life of me figure out why someone would blame a Ti intake valve for damaging a shim.....or vice-versa

now...the probable truth is.....that the factory Honda shims are probably stronger.....and may be hardened completely thru... whereas I believe the HC shims are only surface hardened.....and just like a Ti valve....once that surface coating is gone, either through extensive use or someone deciding to file/ground down their shims to make clearance instead of buying new ones, then of course they would rapidly wear down......

but REALITY is that mine have never failed....never failed in any machine I have worked on...and I have never even HEARD of a HC shim causing any type of failure......its possible... but trust me...there are a THOUSAND other issues with these engines that come to mind far before I would worry about the HC valve shims....

jmho......Greg

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
get the hot cam shim kit from woodward specialties.. 68$ insteal of 90$

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahaha thanks for the reponse Greg. never have gone or used the HC shims, but i was looking exactly for that, someone experience with them, havent really kept tracked on people experience with them on the fourm since i only use honda shims.

i did here once of failure, but it was a while ago, and of course this is the internet, and there are many people who dont maintain there quads, anything can happen.

i appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I think there was some 'talk' about 2 years ago or so.... maybe Blackie (Dustin) or someone of that nature... who was doing a lot of experimenting with Valves, Spring pressures, Cams (WEB 208 and the like) etc........and I remember someone mentioning the hardness/softness of the HC shims vs OEM..... where the HC shims were being damaged due to excessive spring pressures and the like.....but like I said....worst case scenario is you have a small indentation on one side of the shim created by the valve stem and very very stiff springs...... over time.....you could 'pound' a soft shim down and create an excessive valve clearance issue... .other than that....im not sure what could happen as far as damaging a valve or what not......

but I do know there have been so very very FEW instances where someone even mentions damaged valve shims...that I certainly dont even give it a second thought.....

if I wanna worry about something....it will be a cracked cylinder.....or broken 3rd gear dog.......LOL

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha thanks alot Greg, i def. know what your saying.. im gonna go and add the HC shim kit to my collection :)

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
the only problem ive had with my shimkit is that my riding crew knows i have one. im always doing theyre vavle adjustments and ran out of a few sizes.

i did check a few shims with a dial caliper and not all of them are sized correctly, they might be off by a little bit but not by much to keep me from using them.

its a good investment and I would recommend it to anyone that works on their own machine.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^ friends needing the helping hand with shims.. more practice :)

i was always pretty close to a honda shop here in the states. so i just check and calculate the shims i need and go to honda and get them.

the problem is when i go to europe for two months or more sometimes. i like to check my valves and adjust and swap cams and such. i usually just adjust them when im in the states and call it a good good 2 months until i return.

but this time, i got a cam i want to try, and i might need one, mid way through my summer. so i wanted and was tempted to buy a hot cams shim kit so i can do all the work in my garage.. i guess two months of riding on hot cams shim cant hurt. when i come back to the states, i will probably swap em out for hodna shims anyways :)

but again, thanks for the respnoses and help guys.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Hey Lumi...

what does it cost to keep shipping your quad back and forth overseas?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey Greg,

i try to find a family member or friend to try to split the cost of shipping so i can throw my quad in there. sometimes i even try to find someone within the shipping company that is shipping for example a car, and i toss my quad in with them and pay 1/4, of the price sometimes half.

the last containter i used was a 20ft, and it cost a total of 2k for the one way trip over seas from New jersey.
i took my R and threw my polaris in there the last trip aswell :) the other stuff was one of my friends familys stuff that they were shipping, and i somehow got my quads to fit around them ;)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I just spent $6.78 a piece from a dealer! awww I think I'm gonna get the kit. Where is a good place to get one?[/b]
DAMN! They are 7$ from honda. I picked up a 2.05 today for 2.68$ with tax, the guy didnt know how much they were so he just said 2.50..that was a hot cam shim tho.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Mine were hot cams too! ugh..[/b]
DId you go to a honda dealership? Majority of honda dealerships arent great with prices. I went to a "ATV dealership" out in middle of nowhere and they were cool about everything.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I just spent $6.78 a piece from a dealer! awww I think I'm gonna get the kit. Where is a good place to get one?[/b]

ask for Paul at Woodward Specialties.....Sponsor on our site and he will give you a great deal on HC shim kit....

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts