Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 trx450er (gutted exhaust, athena 500 big bore)
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some digging and came across the popular “green wire mod” for the 2006+ er models. For those that don’t know what it is, it’s a mod that takes the rev limiter from 9800 to 10800 and may change the time if curve (not sure on that one). You do this by cutting a green wire on the Very left plug on your cdi. Could I run this with an Athena 500 big bore? Would it hurt anything on a 500 big bore? And would it be worth it? Also what’s the point in it… if you look at any dyne chart you have peak hp and then it starts dropping. The rev limiter usually limits right at the peak power. So adding 1000 rpm’s to the limiter would just hurt you more than help when it comes to acceleration? Is this just for a higher top speed? Sorry for all the questions. thanks anyway tho, Korbin.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was doing some digging and came across the popular “green wire mod” for the 2006+ er models. For those that don’t know what it is, it’s a mod that takes the rev limiter from 9800 to 10800 and may change the time if curve (not sure on that one). You do this by cutting a green wire on the Very left plug on your cdi. Could I run this with an Athena 500 big bore? Would it hurt anything on a 500 big bore? And would it be worth it? Also what’s the point in it… if you look at any dyne chart you have peak hp and then it starts dropping. The rev limiter usually limits right at the peak power. So adding 1000 rpm’s to the limiter would just hurt you more than help when it comes to acceleration? Is this just for a higher top speed? Sorry for all the questions. thanks anyway tho, Korbin.
It won’t hurt anything with a 500 big bore. A lot of honda quads have a very low rev limit from the factory. cutting that wire like you said adds a 1000 rpm’s. This mod does give you a higher top speed. I’ve been running this mod on my 450er since I got it and have never had any issues. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Reactions: El Mamito USMC

·
Registered
146 Posts
It is a great mod to do I’ve been running it on my 2006 trx450 since I got it in 2008.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,845 Posts
The purpose of this mod is to increase the rev limiter when you can actually take advantage of it. That means, if you have a cam that will produce power at those RPMs. If you have a stock cam you will likely be slower if you rev out those extra RPMs just because you can. You need a cam that makes power higher in the rpm range to see any real benefits from this. Yes you can increase your top speed, but that’s about it if you are running a stock cam.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The purpose of this mod is to increase the rev limiter when you can actually take advantage of it. That means, if you have a cam that will produce power at those RPMs. If you have a stock cam you will likely be slower if you rev out those extra RPMs just because you can. You need a cam that makes power higher in the rpm range to see any real benefits from this. Yes you can increase your top speed, but that’s about it if you are running a stock cam.
You think a 500 big bore would make enough top end power to benefit from it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a cam? Size doesn’t matter, the cam is what matters.
Not sure tbh. The old owner said it had a 500 big bore and a couple other mods. It is very extremely fast which makes me think it’s not just a 500 kit. Anyway if telling if theres a cam without pulling it off?

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
466 Posts
Yes hoser explained this to me as well, thank god too, because everyone was saying how good it is without the detail of having a cam. Mine is Stock aside from exhaust and filter (jets too) but I was ready with scissors in hand lol, then saw hosers post last minute. These are the things that make this site good. Had I cut the wire I’d be back in here all sorts of angry lol. That being said I keep a special eye out for hoser and CJM advise because they’ve been around a long time and know there sh**. So thank you hoser for explaining that. I’d be riding a slow trx white a dangling green wire if he didn’t explai the specs that go with the mod.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
466 Posts
Hey cache speed BUMP lol. I didn’t know iether but I think it was hoser who explained it. You were on that thread I think. Ask hoser again cuz I forget 😂

·
Registered
466 Posts
Lol no replies from s anywhere i go, but I go everywhere, 💋 💋 make up! Started off on the wrong 🦶 🤣

·
Registered
466 Posts
Did you cut the green wire?? Or waitingbtondonit right and throw a cam in there? I’m starting to plan accordingly to build up my motor. Port, polish, valve job, cam, boyesen quick shot, and a few other things. NO bore kit tho. Keeping it stock. WHY? Some may ask. Well I want longevity, and reliability over all. I do want more power but not so much where I’m rebuild top end once or twice a year. Got a really good set up advice from The Godfather (CJM) for my quad and my likings. How about you sir??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts