Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here broken record from what I've read but here goes.
06 450er stock. A friend was riding it and it just quit. Cranks but no start. It sat for around a year as I have other shit goin on. Pulled valve cover to check valve lash and 1 intake was reading .004. Checked compression, timing, fuel, spark. All there. I poured some oil in the plug hole and compression went up 20lbs. Figured bad rings/piston. I decide to put a new stock sized piston and cylinder on it. Shimmed valves, checked timing 6 million times. All back together still no start. Fuel, compression, spark. Won't fuckin start or backfire. I'm ready to set it on fire. Already feel like the village idiot so any help is appreciated

·
Registered
550 Posts
No need to feel bad and no you don't sound like a broken record buddy. I will walk with you through what ever you need help with and get it figured out. Here are a few things to look for. I know you may have and do have some of the thngs I say below IN CHECK. Also Stator check! YOu may have what looks to be "good" spark but I seen it a million times "Great spark compresssion timing fuel etc" and still no sark but reality is the Spark "looks Good" how ever it's being "smotherd" when the compression stoke comes round.

1. First of all I am going to I assume you are 100% Sure that your timing is in fact good. The Flywheel does have a mark on it F and a T... I assume you do have the T lined up with the stator cover inspection cap at the same time the Intake Cam Lobes pointing to the Rear time correct?

2. Also what is the Compression sitting at?

3. Did you do a leak Down Test yet? If not, I would suggest do it this way, Remove the Cam Sprocket 2 bolts then turn the engine to BDC (While holding the cam chain to keep it from bunching up by the flywheel) put compressed air into the Cylinder with the carburetor and Carburetor boot removed put your hand over the intake where the Carburetor boot mounts to the head make sure you do not feel any air pressure coming out of the intake. Listen in the Exhaust pipe and check to see if you hear hissing from the exhaust too (Do not be alarmed if you hear a little gurgling from the oil while compressed air is on it)

4. Statotor Testing using a Multimeter (You can buy them at Autozone/Home Depot/Lowes Walmart etc)

Using the Ω Ohms 200 Range (Beeps when leds touch)

(Black 2 Prong Connector)
Blue/Yellow to Green = .240 Ohms to .260 Ohms (Pulsar/Pick Up Coil)
Green To Ground "Engine Case" should be OL (Open Line)
Blue/Yellow to Ground "Engine Case" should be OL (Open Line)

(Clear 3 prong Connector)
Black/Red to White should be just a litle more or a little less then 34 Ohms (Multimeter will beep)
Black/Red to Blue should be just a litle more or a little less then 25 to 28 Ohms (Multimeter will beep)
Blue to White Should be 8 to 9 Ohms (Multimeter will beep)

(Testing clear 3 prong connector to Ground)
Black/Red to Ground (Open Line)
White to Ground .(Open Line)
Blue to Ground (Open Line)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No need to feel bad and no you don't sound like a broken record buddy. I will walk with you through what ever you need help with and get it figured out. Here are a few things to look for. I know you may have and do have some of the thngs I say below IN CHECK. Also Stator check! YOu may have what looks to be "good" spark but I seen it a million times "Great spark compresssion timing fuel etc" and still no sark but reality is the Spark "looks Good" how ever it's being "smotherd" when the compression stoke comes round.

1. First of all I am going to I assume you are 100% Sure that your timing is in fact good. The Flywheel does have a mark on it F and a T... I assume you do have the T lined up with the stator cover inspection cap at the same time the Intake Cam Lobes pointing to the Rear time correct?

2. Also what is the Compression sitting at?

3. Did you do a leak Down Test yet? If not, I would suggest do it this way, Remove the Cam Sprocket 2 bolts then turn the engine to BDC (While holding the cam chain to keep it from bunching up by the flywheel) put compressed air into the Cylinder with the carburetor and Carburetor boot removed put your hand over the intake where the Carburetor boot mounts to the head make sure you do not feel any air pressure coming out of the intake. Listen in the Exhaust pipe and check to see if you hear hissing from the exhaust too (Do not be alarmed if you hear a little gurgling from the oil while compressed air is on it)

4. Statotor Testing using a Multimeter (You can buy t

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ryan for your reply. So I got it running last night. Runs fine, but I have questions.
So initially when I tore it down I had on TDC with cam lobes towards rear of bike. Now when I removed cam sprocket I had to obviously turn engine in order to remove the other bolt. Now let's assume I I didnt turn engine right back to TDC. Now when reassembling the top end how would one know what's compression stroke? The timing marks ( line with T) on left side and dot on sprocket on right side will line up correctly even if you're 180° out. I think this is what I had done when reassembling. So I rotated engine around took off sprocket and loosened cam tower an rotated cam so lobes are facing rear. Reassembled and still no start.
At that point I was seriously going to light it on fire lol. In a moment of aggravation I just kept cranking it and I gave it throttle while cranking and it fired up. Now I'm also aware that these bikes do not respond well to wicking throttle while cranking. I'm flabbergasted but I'll take it as a win.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah you can still always get it to land a Compression Stroke just as long as the Cam Lobes face back at the ame time th T is lined up on the flywheel.

Another thing to watch out for is if the Throtle Cable is out of adjustment on the 06+ TRX450ER/R it will not have spark unless pushing the throtle too because the handle bar Thumb Lever Switch and the Carburetor Throttle Switch will be out of sync (Honda's Saftey Thing) Don't cnfise that arb Switch with the TP Sesnor by te way.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
721 Posts
Thanks Ryan for your reply. So I got it running last night. Runs fine, but I have questions.
So initially when I tore it down I had on TDC with cam lobes towards rear of bike. Now when I removed cam sprocket I had to obviously turn engine in order to remove the other bolt. Now let's assume I I didnt turn engine right back to TDC. Now when reassembling the top end how would one know what's compression stroke? The timing marks ( line with T) on left side and dot on sprocket on right side will line up correctly even if you're 180° out. I think this is what I had done when reassembling. So I rotated engine around took off sprocket and loosened cam tower an rotated cam so lobes are facing rear. Reassembled and still no start.
At that point I was seriously going to light it on fire lol. In a moment of aggravation I just kept cranking it and I gave it throttle while cranking and it fired up. Now I'm also aware that these bikes do not respond well to wicking throttle while cranking. I'm flabbergasted but I'll take it as a win.
Do not give it gas while cranking it, it’s a big misconception. It fry’s the starter components if you do. I’m surprised it started with throttle during crank. I know this post is old but did you get it started by now? Ryan94wright is knowledgeable and knows a lot about these machines. Hope you did t fry your crank gear or starter when giving throttle whike cranking. Anyways post some pics.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
721 Posts
New guy here broken record from what I've read but here goes.
06 450er stock. A friend was riding it and it just quit. Cranks but no start. It sat for around a year as I have other shit goin on. Pulled valve cover to check valve lash and 1 intake was reading .004. Checked compression, timing, fuel, spark. All there. I poured some oil in the plug hole and compression went up 20lbs. Figured bad rings/piston. I decide to put a new stock sized piston and cylinder on it. Shimmed valves, checked timing 6 million times. All back together still no start. Fuel, compression, spark. Won't fuckin start or backfire. I'm ready to set it on fire. Already feel like the village idiot so any help is appreciated
Any luck??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts