Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 06er with a high compression piston with the decomp set at 65 psi. and it is killing the battery when i start it. i was wondering if i lowered the decomp to 50 or 55 psi if it would help this issue?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
i did my friends 06 and it also seemed like it was killing the battery. motor sounded verry sluggish when i tried cranking it.

it was simply a symptom of the decomp having to much of a gap. closed it up some more and fired right up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did my friends 06 and it also seemed like it was killing the battery. motor sounded verry sluggish when i tried cranking it.

it was simply a symptom of the decomp having to much of a gap. closed it up some more and fired right up.[/b]
thanks that is kinda what i was thinking as well. i will give that a shot and see if that helps

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
yup, do the adjustment half a turn at a time or less. put the valve cover on, without the bolts and try to fire her up. repeat this process until your results are where u want them to be. dont go with too lil compression, or it wont fire, you want the right mix of starter spin speed and compression.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
on a side note....

65psi should not run down your battery...unless your bike is hard to start... in which case solve that issue first.....

I ran mine at 90psi for quite some time and never had any battery issues.....but that was with HCII and decomp timing was off a bit....

50-56psi is what the 'book' calls for....and is OK with stock cam....but they start a bit easier at about 65psi once you swap the cam out......probably because of an increased duration bleeding off some of the compression on a more aggressive cam.....

jmho.....

·
Registered
391 Posts
What would be the decompressor PSI setting for a 04-05 with a HC3 ??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am running the stage 2 cam with a lectron on alchol. so it is difficult to start so i think i am going to back it off a little bit and see if it helps. thanks guys for the help

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
What would be the decompressor PSI setting for a 04-05 with a HC3 ??[/b]

roughly.....110psi or so....

but the 04/05 kickers start relatively well between 80psi and over 100psi.....it all depends on how much leg you have....

the 06/newer kickers are way up there at 145psi or so...... just for reference....

remember...the decompressor is ONLY there to assist you in either cranking or kicking over your machine...that is it... irregardless of what PSI she starts best at... so sometimes you just have to experiment... cam profiles and timing play in to this... as do carb settings and comp ratios....etc..... if your not sure where to go.....go about 1/4 turn one way...and see if it helps...or hurts.... (kinda like jetting)... usually the 'sweet spot' will reveal itself......but not always right away...... trial and error will give great results when it comes to the decompressor.....

jmho.....Greg

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info...on my days off I will set it with compression psi and see where it is...plenty of leg here lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts