Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Arial Black">Instructions:</span>

1.) For ease of installation, remove both front fenders and shrouds.

2.) Remove both black fender brackets and total of 4 bolts. (Picture) (Black brackets are no longer needed.)

3.) After removing brackets, reinstall the 2 rear-most bolts to frame/radiator mount. (Picture)

4.) Unhook rubber splash guard from old headlight support tabs. (Picture)

5.) Cut off headlight supports as they will be in the way of the new lights mounting location. (Picture) (Make sure to leave just enough of the tabs to reinstall the splash guard.) (Picture)

6.) Install new silver headlight brackets using the 2 remaining bolts from the original black fender brackets. (Picture) (Do not tighten these bolts all the way down just yet.)

7.) Install new headlight using the 2 new bolts and washers. (Make sure to run the bulb wires above the bottom bracket. Wait to connect the wiring until just before installing the hood, so that it stays out of the way.) (Picture)

8.) Reinstall fenders and shrouds. (Picture)

9.) Now center the new light within the shrouds and tighten down the left and right bracket bolts. (Picture)

10.) Once the light is centered and brackets tightened down. Install self-tapping bolts. Driving them into the front cross member of the frame between the 2 existing holes. (Picture)

11.) When installing the new hood the rear-most posts and tabs should fit perfectly.

12.) The third tabs should be slightly out of place and requires you to slot the front shroud to allow for this tab to have a place to sit. (Picture) (Take your time and create a slot that is JUST big enough for the tab to fit into. You want it to fit tightly.) (Picture)

13.) Front most tabs do not have a place to mount. This problem can be solved by riveting the hood to the shroud. (Using a backing plate on the rivet helps support the plastic of the hood since there is a minimal amount to rivet through.) (Picture) (Either buying black rivets or painting/coloring them prior to install helps them look more natural.)

Parts you should be left with when complete.

*** Thanks to Matt (MSTRAV) for engineering this install and working out the bugs on his own quad first! Not to mention helping me install my own! ***

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
excellent writeup Gumby... :thumbsup: Now, did you notice a difference in brightness or anything or was it about the same? I'll get this put somewhere, just let me find where, so we can catalog it with other guides.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thought I would throw up some pictures from todays Pismo ride since it shows the headlight.

Greg.... I know I copied your avatar photo, SO SUE ME!!! :lol2:

I just realize I need a new helmet, the blue and black just isn't working out anymore!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
glad to see that Duncan Bumper on there that i sold ya. looks nice it just wasnt my style. dunno why i even bought it :ermm:

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
wow gumby, looks alot better imo!!! :thumbsup:

great write up and the quad is looking nice, but gives me some deja vu with gregs 450r like u said :D

-lumi

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't see it on "Parts Needed" section in this topic but I must buy also 2k6 hood yes? what is number of this part?

·
Registered
591 Posts
yes you need the hood. find someone on this sight selling the light and get the hood from them as well.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't see it on "Parts Needed" section in this topic but I must buy also 2k6 hood yes? what is number of this part?[/b]
Thanks for pointing that out. I went ahead and added that part number above. (61350-HP1-600ZA)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hey thanks for the post. This is something that is going to help me a great deal. I have just purchased a set of OEM white plastics for my 04, and my installation process has come to an abrupt halt. It appears that I'm going to need to install the 06-07 lights on my 04, plus get a new hood. And no, this is not a direct bolt on process to those who want to buy the OEM white plastics for their 04-05 model. There are some modifications that must be done to make things fit. Changing the light assembly and hood is just one.

·
Registered
591 Posts
if you could takes pics and show what "mods" you have to do to the plastics. I alreeady have the hood and light on mine now i want white plastics on my kicker. at least take and post pics of things to look out for

matt

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey thanks for the post. This is something that is going to help me a great deal. I have just purchased a set of OEM white plastics for my 04, and my installation process has come to an abrupt halt. It appears that I'm going to need to install the 06-07 lights on my 04, plus get a new hood. And no, this is not a direct bolt on process to those who want to buy the OEM white plastics for their 04-05 model. There are some modifications that must be done to make things fit. Changing the light assembly and hood is just one.[/b]
Id be interested in hearing about or seeing some of the mods required as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
hey what all would i need to do to just put the hood on, i run mx and i dont want the lights, but also dont want to drop the $$$ for a good looking hood when i can pick up an 06/07 for cheap...

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey what all would i need to do to just put the hood on, i run mx and i dont want the lights, but also dont want to drop the $$$ for a good looking hood when i can pick up an 06/07 for cheap...[/b]
The hood couple rivet, rivet backing plates, rivet gun and a utility knife is all. Just follow the last few step of installing the hood.

Only thing is your probably gonna be left with a pretty exposed view of what is under your hood and where the light was. Might not be very pretty. Most after market hoods are longer than stock so that they at least partially cover what the light did.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts