Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas so I’m currently in the process of rebuilding the top end. New cylinder jug, wiseco piston and rings all oem size and compression, top end gasket set new can chain. I’ve assembled everything did all the adjustments for valve lash and decompressor adjustments. My question is how hard should it be to kick the kickstart. There’s definitely compression in it but I would’ve figured it be harder to kick than it is. ??‍♂ Also how did you guys do the break in period? Thanks for any assistance and info.

·
Truck Yea
5,336 Posts
so, you need to set the decomp properly. best way is with a compression tester and i recall its 60 psi. it should be somewhat easy to kick over.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,036 Posts
Have you started it yet? Do you have the spark plug in when kicking it? if You have the plug in and everything is adjusted properly, it shouldn’t be real hard to kick, but if it crazy easy to kick it then something is wrong. Personally I have never used a compression tester to set the decompressor on a first gen. I set the decompressor as the manual says, exhaust valve clearance +.006”, so .017”. I can kick my machines with relative ease, I can even start them sitting down.

As far as break in, run it hard after a heat cycle or two and checking all the bolts and re-torquing the headpipe nuts, and checking fluids and topping off the oil. Do lots of engine braking to help seal the rings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts