Honda TRX 450R banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haha yea man. Sat in the weather for 2 years (with gas in the system). Piston seized to the cylinder wall etc. It’s been a project for sure. But I appreciate you answering me. I just ran the new screw from my rebuild kit up in the hole and pushed the broken piece out. I should be good to go now.

When i attached that pic I thought to myself this is gonna get some comments lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
? np buddy. From new guy to new guy! Yea this 05 sat in the sheriffs impound from 06 to 2015. Original owner then let it sit a few more years until he tried to fix it, then sold it to me. He thought it needed a new carb. But thanks to this site. Just a new float. I think i got a killer deal. But havent been in the engine yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There were a few things jimmy rigged here and there but I don't think you can jimmy an engine lol. So once I buy the shim kit, off to disneyland we go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey man.

Excited guy I am right now. So I just got done riding it for about 10 minutes, i even got it up to 5th. I haven't since I've bought it a month ago.

It's started twice so far with just kicks, no throttle, choke full on; out of 5 times actually trying to get it to go today. When i say tries, multiple kicks & breathers (for me) then took a frustration break. Happy to say it now responds to idle speed & fuel screw adjustments. Also changed the spark plug and lol that was funny but not since I'm the now owner. Super rich plug, black and dry.

What else can I do to get it more reliable?
It is all stock, with a Dasa full exhaust and removed airbox with a k&n filter and filter mesh/nylon cover.
I believe the fuel screw is at 2.5 turns right now if i recall, i was just so happy it started without the throttle, all these kickback post are traumatizing.

Valves, I think that's where we are headed next. I bought a kit full of bigger jets and slow pilot that came today. Also a pack of those starter jets? The mini ones, various sizes.

I'll be riding it daily maybe a hour or 2, we just moved out to farmland and i bought this for me and honda 185 atc semi auto for the kids (got that sucker running good to). So it'll definitely get some use, but not raced.
Check the decompression clearance. You want your compression guage to read 65 psi while doing compression check

21 - 25 of 25 Posts