Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
? everyone.

I recently bought a 05 TRX450R from the original owner.

It has no air box with a beefed up custom intake and nylon cover. (cleaned it and oiled)

Dasa full racing exhaust

Hotcams? It says that on the upper engine.

Carb had a 172 main jet

And stock 48 pilot?

And lastly i think it was a stock slow pilot?, the sideways small one.

It was leaking gas when i bought it and I replaced a cracked float, with the help of you guys and diligence. No more leak.

Replaced oil and oil filter, have new plugs but haven't replaced yet.

I cleaned the carb multiple times with carb cleaner and a compressor, every hole blown, during the process of elimination with the float. I installed a moose rebuild kit, the only o rings i didn't replace are on the side of the carb with a plug; that i don't have the tool for.

He jimmy rigged and removed the hot start cable, he left the slide in there, that's it, and put a like thread bolt with some thread tape and a washer in the hole. I've ordered the all ballz hot start kit and he gave me the hot start cable, looks fine.

I've got the carb back together, rebuilt, cleaned, and stock. Now here are the issues.

1) Only starts with throttle being pressed in.

2) Only starts with choke on, dies right away without it.

3) Sounds to me like very high rpm idle, adjusting fuel screw didn't help, adjusting the idle screw changed rpms but then went back to high again. I say high because at one point when I first started it today with fuel screw at 2 turns, it purred and idled very nicely until i started to adjust the fuel screw to help the choke issue.

3.a) In fact turning the fuel screw all the way back to seated didn't effect anything at all, it didn't even stall. It kept steady at the high rpm idle.

4) the needle is at the 2nd clip from bottom, I'm going to start there tonight. He had it at mid, but I figured change it up? ?. Idk why. He did have a different needle because the clip was different then the moose kit.

5) installed new vent hoses all over the carb as well.

This is my first quad, not quite sure where to go, I've been reading maybe changing jet sizes but not sure on where to even start.

I would be riding it in Arizona around farms and highways mostly. It's sounds so much better though with a new float and stock jets.

P.s. It use to be extremely loud and pop alot when it was leaking the gas and had a 172 main. I do still have his parts as well, they are unclogged and cleaned too. His pilot and main.

I figure after this project is complete I'd check and tinker with the valves next. This machine is badass I honestly haven't gotten outa 3rd because there isn't a need and I'm not confident in it enough running like this to take it out of the neighborhood.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It also does kinda sputter like a bloop noise when idling every so often when idling. Not a pop, like an echoing bloop? Lol. Not quite sure how to explain that one. I'm comfy with ripping it apart now, so I can have pics if needed.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I would spray around the head boot and carb while running with some starting fluid to see if there are any air leaks. You will know if there are as the engine will rev up shortly. After that I would check the exhaust crush gasket and then on to the valves to see if they are in spec. If it is idling high it will be past the idle circuit and adjusting the a/f screw will not change anything. You may back the idle adjustment all the way out and then start back in with it to see if it will start somewhere along the line. I have had trouble before if the idle was set to high them not wanting to start as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct it only starts with throttle n kick. Not sure if i posted that. You definitively give me somewhere to start. Tyvm duke

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Be careful hitting the throttle to start too. It has been argued a lot that can cause the kickback that cracks the side covers and sometimes cases. Honda says it is due to bearing failure but I think the throttle on start contributes with the kickback. An engine that everything is correct on should not need pumping to start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be careful hitting the throttle to start too. It has been argued a lot that can cause the kickback that cracks the side covers and sometimes cases. Honda says it is due to bearing failure but I think the throttle on start contributes with the kickback. An engine that everything is correct on should not need pumping to start.
Ty for that info.

Last night I installed the new hot start kit, adjusted needle from second to middle slot, checked the carb to engine boot (looks new tbh) no cracks at all, rubber still feels good. And lastly installed an adjustable a/f screw w/o tools. Reinstalled everything to make sure it was lined up right. I reset the idle speed to all the way left in order to be able to mess with it when I try to adjust everything tonight. Checked the boot from air intake to carb, looks good no cracks. I just learned the hot start is to cause more airflow, if that had no assembly, would that cause the extra lean condition? I have a tool coming today, so I'll change the plug before I do anything.

Ty again Duke!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey man.

Excited guy I am right now. So I just got done riding it for about 10 minutes, i even got it up to 5th. I haven't since I've bought it a month ago.

It's started twice so far with just kicks, no throttle, choke full on; out of 5 times actually trying to get it to go today. When i say tries, multiple kicks & breathers (for me) then took a frustration break. Happy to say it now responds to idle speed & fuel screw adjustments. Also changed the spark plug and lol that was funny but not since I'm the now owner. Super rich plug, black and dry.

What else can I do to get it more reliable?
It is all stock, with a Dasa full exhaust and removed airbox with a k&n filter and filter mesh/nylon cover.
I believe the fuel screw is at 2.5 turns right now if i recall, i was just so happy it started without the throttle, all these kickback post are traumatizing.

Valves, I think that's where we are headed next. I bought a kit full of bigger jets and slow pilot that came today. Also a pack of those starter jets? The mini ones, various sizes.

I'll be riding it daily maybe a hour or 2, we just moved out to farmland and i bought this for me and honda 185 atc semi auto for the kids (got that sucker running good to). So it'll definitely get some use, but not raced.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I'd make sure the valves are in spec and get the carb tuned good and it should be pretty reliable. When you are in for the valves check to make sure it is a stock cam, with the exhaust and stuff they may have added a cam too. If not that would be a good time to put one in. Change the oil regular and keep up on the maintenance and they are pretty reliable, even with several mods done to them. It won't be long you will be more worried about more power than overall reliability. Glad it is running better!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got off her. So fun. She started in 2 kicks. Then in 5 or 6. Starts in 1 warm. Ty duke. This site helped a computer wiz get it running right. Extremely helpful

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after a few hours riding around the neighborhood and fields, I've gotten a couple relaxes ?, I have to say that she is riding pretty good. Here's the only "off" thing going on, a tiny hint of popping on deceleration, as well as she will only start in 2 kicks (everytime; keep in mind; so I'm being a stickler maybe?). I give her 3 stabs of throttle, choke full go, idle screw full go and she will start in literally 2 kicks everytime cold; she starts every kick warm or hot (boom ?). The a/f screw is 3 turns out right now, stock pilot/slow? 48, 160 main, the needle is slotted right above the bottom slot, I tried to buy bigger starter jets(?) But I couldn't find the parts # and ended up buying possibly leak jets through ebay ?. But after starting I turn down the idle to a "proper" rpm after cutting the choke off and she idles perfect, but if the idle speed screw isn't up most the way it's hard to start.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking going up to 52 in slow pilot jet and a couple more main jets not sure which #s came in this kit, but maybe 164? The pop sounds very feint almost like.. deep in there, if that makes sense.

Ty in advance!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Where did you get the kit from? It is important to know if they are keihin jets or not as the numbers don't mean the same for different companies. If the a/f screw is out 3 turns I would definitely try to go up a size as you should not have to adjust idle each time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im going to tear into her tonight. Going to go up in slow pilot and main jet. Im going to leave the needle at 2nd from bottom position. And try for 2 turns of a/f. I'll post again. Ty again duke

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m gonna tag along for this thread. I recently acquired an 04 with a lot of the same symptoms. Discovered the pilot screw tip is snapped off. I’m worried the tip is stuck on the carb. When you cleaned your carb were you able to see all the way through your pilot screw hole? Is the tip of the pilot screw visible in the carb throat?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts