Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I’m new to this website and also new to trying to work on something mechanical as well. (Green as can be mechanically that’s is) This will be my first time trying to work on one cause I have just lost all faith and trust for people now to allow anyone else to work on my stuff so just decided it’s time for me to learn and do it myself!

Any way let a guy rebuild it for me and do the first hour maybe of the break then I road it home and at high rpms (half throttle or more) it would start cutting out and if you try to stay in on it and don’t let off it would just about shut off. Thinking it would straighten out later I drove it to work the next day (about a 15min ride) stopped at a store bout 3 miles from work and noticed oil on the ground and it was all over my swing arm and all in the air box coming from the hose underneath my air filter going to the motor. Not wanting to be stuck and late for work I hurried on to work hoping it had enough oil left to make it that far with out damaging it. And as I pulled into work I looked back and seen that it had started smoking as well!!!! Like a lot! But I ain’t lost no power still a lotta compression runs good. And I shut it off and ain’t rode it since cause idk what or how serious of a problem/problems it is. I have started it I believe 3 times though just for a couple seconds to make sure it would still start n wasn’t trying to seize up or anything like that. And starts easy plenty of compression like I said.

I bought it from someone it’s a 2005 trx450r with
96mm cylinder
96mm cp Carrillo piston
Hot cam ??? Stage idk
Hotcam shims size ???
Sparks racing slip on
No air box lid
Oem air filter
Honda pro gn4 oil (gold bottle)
Honda gn4 transmission oil
As far as anything else being after market in the motor or carb n all that have no clue besides of a couple of blue hoses that say something racing on them. And that’s all.
Oh yeah also idk if it’s normal for a 450 to vibrate or not but it does it vibrated the front motor mount on the bottom out I noticed after I got it hauled back home.

Does anyone have an idea of where I should start to look n check or what might be going on. Thanks though in advance for reading and any n all advice....

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,652 Posts
Welcome to the ORG!

when you say you had someone rebuild it, do you mean the entire motor or just the top end? It sounds like you have pressure building inside your cases. Check the oil level on both the engine and clutch side, make sure the seal between them hasn’t blown out they aren’t transferring. Make sure the tranny vent is not clogged or as so many people do, stuck onto a nipple on the carb or something that prevents it from breathing. Check those things and report back.

·
Registered
2004 TRX450R
141 Posts
x2 on what hoser said. The transmission breather tube can easily be re-attached in the wrong spot(carb nipple), causing trans pressure to build and eventually blow oil. My tell tell signs should've been the audible pressure escaping the trans oil check hole when screw was removed. Here's a picture of where the trans breather is supposed to go. Thats an easy fix if so, lets us know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts