Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 05 450r. i have full hmf exhaust with air box lid removed and a 175 main jet. i have a vortex x10 cdi recently purchased and as expected it runs hotter now. hot enough to turn my red light on saying too hot. i just changed to engine ice coolant and have not rode yet to know if it helps. i just ordered a billet inline temp gauge and would like to know what the optimum engine temp should be. i live in new mexico and ride in 100 degree weather all the time. sand dunes and tight sand trails is what i ride. thanks for any and all info

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
When I had the vortex it would turn on the warning light, it has to do with feedback from the fan motor. So it kind of a flase alarm.

Engine temps should run between 185 / 215*f (220 is not bad if you have good antifreeze, bad on straight water)

Place the temp gauge on the top hose coming out of the motor, it more important to know how hot the motor actualy is the to know how good your rad is working.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I had the vortex it would turn on the warning light, it has to do with feedback from the fan motor. So it kind of a flase alarm.

Engine temps should run between 185 / 215*f (220 is not bad if you have good antifreeze, bad on straight water)

Place the temp gauge on the top hose coming out of the motor, it more important to know how hot the motor actualy is the to know how good your rad is working.[/b]
thanks for the info. this site is awesome. i frequent atvriders.com but in only a couple of hours i have gained more info than a year over there. thanks again for the speedy reply. also after reading on here i think i need to run a 180 main as recommended by vortex. i am currently running a 175. the 180 should make it cooler but not really sure by how much.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
at what gear is the temp light going on?
or is it only at idle.

engine ice will not make your bike run cooler.

my bike idles about 220* and runs at about 160-180 sometimes cooler on prestone 50/50.

a 180JM will let it run a bit cooler.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or is it only at idle.

my bike idles about 220* and runs at about 160-180 sometimes cooler on prestone 50/50.

a 180JM will let it run a bit cooler.[/b]
yeah i read that entire thread but it was to late i already bought the engine ice. lol
it happens when i am in any gear running at a high rpm. if i stop and idle it actually turns off the light. i dont understand it but it does.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Try the main jet see what happens. If they haven't re-engineered the vortex (I had one 3 years ago) the light will continue to come on, even in safe running temps. The thermostat will keep temps in check, getting that gauge never hurts.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
or is it only at idle.

yeah i read that entire thread but it was to late i already bought the engine ice. lol
it happens when i am in any gear running at a high rpm. if i stop and idle it actually turns off the light. i dont understand it but it does.
[/b]

when you stop and idle your fan is probably turning on and cools the radiator.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
or is it only at idle.

[/b]

when you stop and idle your fan is probably turning on and cools the radiator.

[/b]
yeah the fan is on when at an idle but also when i am riding it is on. this also did not happen with the stock cdi. it really isnt making me worry to much just want to make sure i dont hurt my motor. i really think the inline gauge is going to be a smart and important upgrade as i do ride in some extreme heat on a regular basis.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i went and rode on wed and the light still came on. i did put in the 180 jet and it for sure runs better. my inline gauge should be here today so we will see what happens.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i installed the gauge on the TOP hose and i got it up to 210 and the fan came on an cooled it down. this was just at an idle inside my shop with the outside temp being at or a little over 100 degrees farenhiet. seems normal to me. looks good there to. one of my friends said i should have it on the lower radiator hose as it was next to the water pump. and now i am confused i thought it should be on the top hose. is this in fact correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have mine on the bottom all i do is drag race mine never gets over 205 i heard its better to have the gauge on the bottom but it wont hurt either way.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I have mine on the bottom all i do is drag race mine never gets over 205 i heard its better to have the gauge on the bottom but it wont hurt either way.[/b]

do i have the gauge on the right hose?[/b]

you should be fine , i am just stating mine is on the bottom right[/b]

which one is the coolant coming out of the motor into the radiator?[/b]
I have mine on the left side. I was told to put it there becuase it reads the temp comming out of the engine, on the right side it reads the temperature comming out of the radiator.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
thats what i was thinking but got confused. no hard to do lol. tanks for the info[/b]

no prob, alot of riders like it on the right side for easier reading but can be inaccurate reading.

i wonder what the temp diffrences are from both sides.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i would think at the most with a stock fan and radiator 5 to 10 degrees. i also mounted it upside down on the left side so when i look down its easier to read.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Engine temps should run between 185 / 215*f (220 is not bad if you have good antifreeze, bad on straight water)[/b]
This makes no sense whatsoever. Could you try to explain why you say good on antifreeze but bad on straight water????

1 - 20 of 33 Posts