Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I have an 05 450r that I completely tore down this past fall and started to rebuild. I got a different frame and got it powdercoated and got my motor completely overhauled ( piston, rings, updated crank, head, valves, ect) due to a hole in my inner crankcase halve by the shifter and I cannot get the bike to spark. I have my headlights, tailight, and the old on/off switch eliminated from the bike. So heres how my setup is. I have all 3 of the stator plugs connected properly, the condenser, the CDI Box, the fan is hotwired to run all the time which is the blue plug, then I have a killswitch and it is grounded out the frame and the frame is rubbed down to bare metal, and then the coil is also grounded out to bare frame with another ground behind where it mounts at and then the little slider piece that slides onto the coil and then the thermostat plug. I also have a keyswitch and then the 2 plugs coming from the carb plugged in and then the rectifier. What could I be doing wrong here? Everything worked last year and now I cannot get anything. I even put a spark plug in the spark plug cap to see if that would work but still nothing. I seem to have electrical issues every year with this thing! I doubt it can be the stator because I bought a brand new one last year. I changed CDI Boxes out last May, the fan is newer.

I have a buddy that has an 05 and is letting me use his cdi, rectifier, condenser, and coil and plug to try so I will see if something is actually wrong. In the meantime, I want to hear your guys opinion on what the problem could be. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I used all of his parts and still nothing. Since my fan spins when I kick it over, does that mean my stator is working properly? I unhooked my killswitch and still nothing. Any ideas?!

·
450R XC Rider
2,793 Posts
Have you tried a new spark plug boot? I went through all of this when my stator burnt up and I took the boot off and there is actually a small resistor inside of the boot that any parts fiche doesnt mention and the mechanics at the shop I take mine too didnt even know about it. If the resistor burnt up or for some reason spark is not going through the boot, that could be the problem. I would take the spark plug boot off of the wire coming from the coil (just wiggle it off, its pretty snug), and connect the spark plug directly to the little wire coming out so that way you are bypassing the boot.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I used all of his parts and still nothing. Since my fan spins when I kick it over, does that mean my stator is working properly? I unhooked my killswitch and still nothing. Any ideas?!

There are two 'charging systems' to the stator... one powers the approx. 100 volt AC system which powers the coil.... the 2nd powers the 12 volt system..given the above statement I would guess the 12 volt system of the stator is working, but maybe not the coil side.... other than that, it seems like you have covered all the basics.... electrical issues are a PITA to correct, and with swapping out parts from another working 05 (best approach), I cant for the life of me determine the issue. Have you swapped out the flywheel? what 'exactly' did you change as far as wiring harness and what not during the break down? jmho...g

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a new flywheel installed in the bike during the rebuild. Last year, my dad cut into the harness and eliminated the use of the headlights, tailights, and OEM on/off switch. There is a junction connector in the harness with 5 Green wires on it that is not used anymore.

Can you please give me a breakdown on how to check the stator to see if it's working? I can't understand the manual at all for what I am supposed to do. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you finally find out the problem .. i gor the exact problem right now and cant find out . Did i mised a ground somewhere

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you tried a new spark plug boot? I went through all of this when my stator burnt up and I took the boot off and there is actually a small resistor inside of the boot that any parts fiche doesnt mention and the mechanics at the shop I take mine too didnt even know about it. If the resistor burnt up or for some reason spark is not going through the boot, that could be the problem. I would take the spark plug boot off of the wire coming from the coil (just wiggle it off, its pretty snug), and connect the spark plug directly to the little wire coming out so that way you are bypassing the boot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts