Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my buddy just got a 05 450r with no engine mods to my knowledge other than a stage 2 hot cam and a full sparks pipe. it’s been running pretty good until today he was riding it and it died all of a sudden and made a kind of metal on metal grinding noise. it will still start and run but keeps wanting to die and makes the same metal on metal sound. it sounds like the noise is coming from the kickstart input shaft. can the kicker gear get stuck out on the flywheel? I have no idea on how the kickstart assembly works and I didn’t want to pull anything apart until I knew what the problem was. I do not believe it is a top end as it still has compression but I am not sure how to check for bottom end damage. thanks

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,337 Posts
Pull the oil filter out. Likely it will be full of pretty glitter. Sounds like his crank went.

·
4,337 Posts
If I was a betting man I’d put money on it. Best advice is to stop trying to start it and prevent further damage. Pull the oil filter before you do anything else.

·
4,337 Posts
Interesting. Good thing I’m not a betting man lol. There’s really nothing that can go wrong with the Kickstarter to cause the things you are describing. Did he have the filter installed properly? A backwards filter would cause no oil flow, and could cause failure without having flakes in the filter, but even if it was backwards I would think there would be some flakes. Only other thing that comes to my mind is a bolt backed out somewhere and is causing the metal-on-metal sound. I hope it’s something else, but the way you describe it, it sure sounds like a crank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. Good thing I’m not a betting man lol. There’s really nothing that can go wrong with the Kickstarter to cause the things you are describing. Did he have the filter installed properly? A backwards filter would cause no oil flow, and could cause failure without having flakes in the filter, but even if it was backwards I would think there would be some flakes. Only other thing that comes to my mind is a bolt backed out somewhere and is causing the metal-on-metal sound. I hope it’s something else, but the way you describe it, it sure sounds like a crank.
he installed the filter the way the previous one was installed- with the o ring side facing away from the block. I didn’t think it was possible to do it backwards it seems there is a groove on the cover the o ring fits over. would the bike still run with a bad crank? it will start and run but only for a bit and it really wants to die. he just got the bike off facebook and he wouldn’t let me change the damn trans fluid for some reason which could’ve possibly been part of the problem. i I don’t think it’s anything to do with the transmission because it does it at idle and when it’s in gear. Is there any other way to check to see if it’s a crank? I can pretty much fix whatever as long as there’s a YouTube video for it. how hard is swapping the crank out for a fresh one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he installed the filter the way the previous one was installed- with the o ring side facing away from the block. I didn’t think it was possible to do it backwards it seems there is a groove on the cover the o ring fits over. would the bike still run with a bad crank? it will start and run but only for a bit and it really wants to die. he just got the bike off facebook and he wouldn’t let me change the damn trans fluid for some reason which could’ve possibly been part of the problem. i I don’t think it’s anything to do with the transmission because it does it at idle and when it’s in gear. Is there any other way to check to see if it’s a crank? I can pretty much fix whatever as long as there’s a YouTube video for it. how hard is swapping the crank out for a fresh one?
also is it okay to run honda gn4 10w-40 in the trans side as well as the engine oil side i’ve read on other forums about people doing that. I have no clue about anything 450r related as I am a 400 guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts