Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought an 04 trx450r and it had a really bad bog/hesitation on the low/mid range, it felt like a turbo lag. When I hit the gas is barely went anywhere and then took off and really pulled hard. So we drained the gas (which was pretty bad) and threw in a 130 main jet and it helped a lot but there’s still a slight low end bog but it picks up pretty quick. I’m not sure what to do now. Leak jet? Needle? Air fuel screw? The carb is brand new and put on by the previous owner as far as I know all jets are factory besides the 130 we put in. Stock exhaust, k&n filter with the lid on. Any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Did he put a new round slide carb on it? And was it a Honda or aftermarket carb? I would work with the needle some and also if it is a stock style 04-05 carb look up the zip ty mod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I recently bought an 04 trx450r and it had a really bad bog/hesitation on the low/mid range, it felt like a turbo lag. When I hit the gas is barely went anywhere and then took off and really pulled hard. So we drained the gas (which was pretty bad) and threw in a 130 main jet and it helped a lot but there’s still a slight low end bog but it picks up pretty quick. I’m not sure what to do now. Leak jet? Needle? Air fuel screw? The carb is brand new and put on by the previous owner as far as I know all jets are factory besides the 130 we put in. Stock exhaust, k&n filter with the lid on. Any help would be awesome!
I have a 2014 450er same problem all stock .put in a 165 main jet and go smaller on the leak jet 2 sizes. original needle runs perfect.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,534 Posts
If the gas that you removed from the tank was “pretty bad”, then it’s likely it could have clogged a jet or some passages in the carb. I would pull the carb, disassemble completely, clean it with brake cleaner, or preferably dip it overnight in carb parts cleaner, hose down, blow all the passages out with compressed air, and reassemble properly With stock jets. It doesn’t matter if it’s a ”new” carb, if someone put ethanol gas in there it can go bad and ruin a carb within weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the gas that you removed from the tank was “pretty bad”, then it’s likely it could have clogged a jet or some passages in the carb. I would pull the carb, disassemble completely, clean it with brake cleaner, or preferably dip it overnight in carb parts cleaner, hose down, blow all the passages out with compressed air, and reassemble properly With stock jets. It doesn’t matter if it’s a ”new” carb, if someone put ethanol gas in there it can go bad and ruin a carb within weeks.
When we swapped jets we sloshed fresh gas in the tank 4 or 5 times to make sure it was okay, blew all the jets and passage ways with carb cleaned and then with an air compressor, the screen was clean too. Slapped the 130 jet in and ran a lot better but since we did 2 things at once we don’t know if it was the gas or the jet that helped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 2014 450er same problem all stock .put in a 165 main jet and go smaller on the leak jet 2 sizes. original needle runs perfect.
What size leak did you end up with? I think the 04-05s have a 48 pilot stock, that’s what was in mine anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts