Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just bought a 2004 trx450 and am having a problem with it idling right. When it does idle it is either
really high at about 2700 to 3000 rpm confirmed with a tach. Also it will drop in rpm to 1300 to 1450 with out touching
anything. I have taken the carb apart twice and completely cleaned it. I have also adjusted the a/f screw from 1.5 turns out
to 3 turns out with minimal change. When the a/f screw is turned in the motor seems like it is knocking when it idles low
it also pops more in the carb. When it is turned out idle will increase. But the poping increases in the exhaust
the ATV has a exhaust, Hrc Airbox, 170 main, 48 pilot. Also when the bike runs from 1/8th throttle to wot it runs good.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im having the same issue, when I have choke on for about 5 minutes before riding, it idles really high. but when I take choke off it is way less rps, is that Normal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The high idle when choke is on seems normal. Mine will stay at a constant rpm when choke is on. But
When I turn the choke off it will drop down and fluctuate in Rpms. And I can not get it to stay consistent

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’d check the valves , does it start really hard more than 5 kicks , if not try jetting the pilot and bringing it up or down either a 50 or go down to a 40 or a 45 pilot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Starts first or second kick runs great when you get on the throttle just it doesn’t like to idle. Going to be check valves tonight

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,161 Posts
Check your throttle cable. They can get corroded and sticky and cause a hanging idle. Also check to make sure it’s routed properly. I’ve seen numerous machines that will increase the idle when you turn the bars because the cable is routed improperly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cable is good, pretty sure it’s the cable clearance on the intake. I could not even fit a .004 gauge under it. Exhaust was a little to tight as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts