Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there is any difference between the 04 cylinder head hanger bolts and the 06 cylinder head hanger bolts.

I recently rebuilt my engine I have and 04 engine case and an 06 cylinder head but cant seem to get my 04 hanger brackets and spacers to work. Any help would be awesome.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,318 Posts
How in the world did you get the ‘06 head to fit on the ’04 bottom end???

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
To answer you, I haven't looked part numbers up but since the bore/stroke and a lot of motor parts are totally different along with the frame I am going to say almost certain yes they are different.

On what Hoser said, I hope you checked everything good as the compression, clearances, etc are all different and can cause a lot of issues.

·
4,318 Posts
IDK, if the hangers are the same or different. I’ve been wondering that myself recently. They look exactly the same, but I don’t have any on hand to do a direct side-by-side comparison. The part numbers are different, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t interchangeable. I have a pile of 04-05 mounts on hand, but no 06+ right now.

what i was getting to, and what duke alluded to is that the heads between the 04-05 and 06+ are completely different. Chamber volume, dowel location, port angle, etc are different. You literally cannot just bolt a 06+ head on a first gen bottom end without a lot of work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn ok ya I put a lot of money in this engine and dont want to blow it up, might just try to find a good used 04 cylinder head and use that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will it make a difference if its timed as a 04 my cam gear is only a 34tooth instead of the 06 which is a 36 tooth

·
4,318 Posts
First answer this question that you keep eluding, have you had all the machine work done to that 06+ head to actually be able to bolt it onto the 04 bottom end?

·
Truck Yea
5,511 Posts
First answer this question that you keep eluding, have you had all the machine work done to that 06+ head to actually be able to bolt it onto the 04 bottom end?
yep i wanna know how too since it wont physically fit on the 06+ cylinder..

Reactions: hoser

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I didnt do any machine work to the head. All that I noticed that was different was the dowel pins are in the opposite side to I just reamed out my gasket to allow for the dowel pins to be in the opposite side.

·
4,318 Posts
It takes much more than simply enlarging the holes in the gaskets, you need the corresponding holes in the cylinder head to match the holes for the dowels in the cylinder itself. Also, there needs to be modification done and welding to the timing chain area so the head will properly seal. The 06+ head is also shorter, so you need to try and figure out how to overcome the issues with the chain slack and the retarded timing. Then you have to think about the different exhaust port angle and how you’re going to make your exhaust work. Some have even had to weld and change the angle of their intake port. Don’t get me wrong, this has been done many times, but usually it’s for very specific reasons by advanced engine builders trying to accomplish a certain goal. For a guy just rebuilding his engine who wants to slap a different head on it’s not a very feasible undertaking.

·
Truck Yea
5,511 Posts
I think he has an 04-05 head and was told he has an 06. cause it dont just bolt up no matter how hard you try

·
4,318 Posts
I was starting to think that too, but then I feel like maybe he has it bolted on since he says he can’t get the hangers to work, so not sure. Maybe he left the dowels out or something. At this point who knows lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No the dowels are in and the head is on the quad as we speak. This it what it looks like right now. It is an 06 head for sure because I order the kibble white valves for an 04/05 and the intake ones didnt fit because they were to big. The 06 valves are smaller so had to order them. But it doesnt matter now because with your guys input I just went and ordered myself a new 04/05 head and going to convert it back to original, also I should have said when I bought the quad the engine was in 1 million pieces so I didnt know what I had or if it was the correct parts. The frame said 04 so I just assumed everything that I had was 04 until I ran into that problem.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Well that is an 06 valve cover, but motor is CLEAN...…Idk when mine looked that clean. It would be nice if swapping stuff was that easy but they never make things easy.

·
Truck Yea
5,511 Posts
wow that is clean. i mean i ultrasonically cleaned my stuff and then polished it and it aint that clean

·
4,318 Posts
The 06+ valve cover looks like yours with the blockish looking “1” on the top of it, the first gen doesn’t have that. It looks like the motor is powdercoated, is it? When you said the valves are smaller are you talking about the stem or the actual valve face? The 06+ has a 5mm stem diameter on the exhaust and the first gen head has a 5.5mm stem diameter, the stem on the intake is the same. the valves sizes are all the same though. Something tells me you have one severely messed up, worked over head that’s probably been beat to death. It’s a good thing you decided to get a different head.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts