Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 trx450r high comp piston, stage 2 cam, 44 fcr , dasa adapter, cut air box, sparks drag pipe
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 450r. Motor is built by Curtis sparks. I have a sparks high compression 13.5.1 piston, sparks clutch, sparks valve spring kit, dynatek programmable cdi, stage 2 hot cams, fcr carb that is bored to 45 on the air intake side dropped down to about 42.5 in the middle and 43.5 on the engine intake side. The measurements are not 100% exact. I’m putting on the sparks reversible megaphone pipe. I already have the normal ceramic one and it works great just getting some more power. I also have a clean up port from Curtis sparks that I will be having changed to a drag racing port as soon as I possibly can. Bike feels like 60-65 hp. Don’t think it’s ever been dynoed. Used to be my dads and he would smoke dasa 480s, yfz520 on nos, and other built quads. Everyone else kept getting more motor work and he didn’t want to. He sold the quad and I got it back. He would only loose to crazy fast banshees and 1100cc rzrs. So I’m guessing the bike has to have some serious power. What do you guys think it puts out. All the quads out at pismo are professionally built. He took home the trophy one year. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
2004 trx450r high comp piston, stage 2 cam, 44 fcr , dasa adapter, cut air box, sparks drag pipe
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
been looking at other peoples post and it seems like I would be in the 50hp range. Maybe high 50s. Idk if this is exactly right. Cause most people posting about 480s with racers edge epoxy heads people say they are from a 55-60hp range. Don’t see how my quad that is around 50-55 hp range could beat that when the person on the 480 is a lot lighter and a good rider. Do I just have some magical sauce or is everyone else getting ripped off?

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,631 Posts
With a stage 2 and a “clean up” port, I’d be very surprised if you were at 60 hp.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With just those things yes that is impossible. But a high compression piston, valve spring kit, clutch, dynatek programmable Cdi, bored carb, billet intake, huge air filter. I wouldn’t be surprised if I got 57. And with the new drag pipe I’m guessing I’ll have atleast 60.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,631 Posts
I’m saying the cam and porting are your limiting factors. A spring kit doesn’t give you horsepower, in fact, it robs power, same with a clutch. And your dynatek, and billet intake and filter aren’t going to give you huge gains unless you need them, and with your mods they’re not a big necessity. I’m not bashing on your quad at all, it sounds like a nice build, but you got a ways to go before you hit 60.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the port is definitely limiting. A bigger port will make my machine have way more power. I’m not to sure if the cam is too limiting. Some people actually get pretty decent numbers out of it. And I thought a clutch gives less slippage and puts more power to the wheels.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am definitely an idiot for ever claiming 60hp on this build. With the drag pipe it probably makes 55-57 on a good day. My motor has been wearing down crazy cause appearently the local place I get my 110 from has like 20%water in it. Even with that I was loosing to a crazy crf hybrid drag bike by only a bike length when I was on 7 paddles. Motor definitely has a special type of pull for what is done to it but definitely not 60hp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts