Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the physical difference in the different linkages? I bought a 06 swinger several years ago and cant remember if I replaced the linkage. I am gonna buy a new swinger and was gonna change the linkage if needed. I have a strong suspicion i have been riding on a 05 linkage with a 06 swinger for years and really didnt know any difference. lol

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,251 Posts
I have never tried to mix first and second gen rear suspension parts, but I was under the impression that it basically doesn’t work unless you have all first gen or all second gen parts. I put a 06+ rear on o an 05 and it handles and rides great. I would think it would handle like trash if you mixed parts.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
It wont work right. The 04/05 lower link in a lot shorter than the 06+. If you did mix any parts it would have everything way off. The swingarm, rear shock and upper and lower linkage have to be together of the same generation to work right.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
The 06 up link is a more of a straight line the 05 has more of a turn to it at the shock mount. Parts can be mixed but unless everything is set up for it they will not ride very well. Best to have everything set up correctly. Buy an aftermarket linkage for an 06 and get the shock set up correctly and it will ride a lot better.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i figure i have the 05 linkage, That explains why i am sitting lower in the rear . The ride is ok but i really dont have anything to compare to. i prob just gonna find a 05 swingerarm instead of trading the link.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I would trade the link. 04/05 swingarm sucks.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
An extended 05 will still be based on that linkage geometry. You need to figure out for sure which one you have. If it is a GT link it will have some numbers on it. The 06 is like 3/4" longer and different linkages and ratios so they do ride different. Some people like different things, 04-05 being a little shorter turn better but usually don't ride as smooth.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I was just gonna find a extended 05 swingarm. Is the Geometry on the 06 and up better?
The geometry is MUCH better on the 06+ rear end. My big issue with the 04/05 rear end even with the GTT linkage was the rear end bucking. All those issues with that were fixed on the 06+.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
There is nothing you can do to make the 04/05 rear end a fraction as good as a 06+ rear end.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as to say it can't be made good. I'm pretty sure Yokley was still running the 04-05 rear swinger. It is all according to riding style and how much you can spend adjusting it. I had to always readjust my gt stuff. Biggest problem is they slowed the rebound all the way down and I couldn't ride like that. There are a lot more options for the 06 stuff because most companies spent more time on them and there are a lot more out there. You want the best, imo, go to a full ars-fx, you want a budget go to a revalve and linkage which will probably have to be an 06 up and 06 swinger. Call around to some suspension companies and get their opinions.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,251 Posts
I like the 06+ rear, but with the price the stock 06+ swingers are going for, it isn’t super practical. I always keep my eyes open for them, slowly trying to convert all my stock swingarm machines to 06+ spwingers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts