Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does this cam compare to the stage 2 hotcams? I was looking at the cam guide and it seems like the perfect cam to me but.. Its a stock cam right so how does it really offer good power gains over stock? And do you need anything special to put a crf cam in a trx? Or is it just drop in and check all clearances etc.

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
How does this cam compare to the stage 2 hotcams? I was looking at the cam guide and it seems like the perfect cam to me but.. Its a stock cam right so how does it really offer good power gains over stock? And do you need anything special to put a crf cam in a trx? Or is it just drop in and check all clearances etc.[/b]

i switched from a stg2 to a 02 crf cam and i liked it, the power felt very close but the 02 makes more power lower in the rpms, i feel i can just lug it around more with the 02 crf cam compared to the stg 2 but the stg2 is more explosive on topend

the 02 crf cam feels like a tractor cam lol it pulls sooo hard from bottom to mid throttle that its ridiculous then it has very good power threw the upper rpms as well but not quiet as much as the stg 2 in the upper range

ye its a drop in cam, it is a stock cam but a CRF stock cam ans they are not corked up from factory like the trx

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does this cam compare to the stage 2 hotcams? I was looking at the cam guide and it seems like the perfect cam to me but.. Its a stock cam right so how does it really offer good power gains over stock? And do you need anything special to put a crf cam in a trx? Or is it just drop in and check all clearances etc.[/b]

i switched from a stg2 to a 02 crf cam and i liked it, the power felt very close but the 02 makes more power lower in the rpms, i feel i can just lug it around more with the 02 crf cam compared to the stg 2 but the stg2 is more explosive on topend

the 02 crf cam feels like a tractor cam lol it pulls sooo hard from bottom to mid throttle that its ridiculous then it has very good power threw the upper rpms as well but not quiet as much as the stg 2 in the upper range

ye its a drop in cam, it is a stock cam but a CRF stock cam ans they are not corked up from factory like the trx
[/b]
Awsome response just what I was looking for, thanks!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
glad i helped[/b]
Does anyone know how the stage 1 performs? Since with a stage 1 cam it would mean it would pull harder thru every gear in the low end. So technically it'll still give the bike tons of power in every gear just not if your topped out like long drags, but would it be a good investment for short drags and just recreational riding?

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
glad i helped[/b]
Does anyone know how the stage 1 performs? Since with a stage 1 cam it would mean it would pull harder thru every gear in the low end. So technically it'll still give the bike tons of power in every gear just not if your topped out like long drags, but would it be a good investment for short drags and just recreational riding?
[/b]

thats what it is a recreational cam, but you would be better off get the 02 crf cam or even a 06 hrc cam compared to it IMO the stg 1 wouldnt be a good drag cam at all remember most drags are short 300ft

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
glad i helped[/b]
[/b]

thats what it is a recreational cam, but you would be better off get the 02 crf cam or even a 06 hrc cam compared to it IMO the stg 1 wouldnt be a good drag cam at all remember most drags are short 300ft
[/b]
heh around here the drags are either like 100ft or 500 ft topped out. We dont have any 300ft drags really..except for the riding spots that are hours away. Just trying to look at all my options. Id love a 02 crf cam but I dont really wanna spend 160+ for one. Atleast not right now

·
Registered
889 Posts
i have a question when the 09 CRF450 comes out will the stock crf cam work on my 06? by any chance ? i have a friend thats a AMA pro getting a free crf450 (lucky him -,-) 09 and he said if i wanted any of the stock parts and i told him maybe the Cam

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
i have a question when the 09 CRF450 comes out will the stock crf cam work on my 06? by any chance ? i have a friend thats a AMA pro getting a free crf450 (lucky him -,-) 09 and he said if i wanted any of the stock parts and i told him maybe the Cam[/b]

hmm maybe are they changing them any in 09?

·
Big Bore Killer
2,550 Posts
just got a 02 crf cam installed in my trail bike yesterday... my mechanic charged me 40 bucks cash! what a deal...
mods are:
Lid off with stock foam filter
02 crf cam
hrc jetting
hrc T
hrc exhaust
11.5:1 je piston

i was running this quad with the stock cam for about 2 months now so i will have a good comparison for you guys...
i'll give a ride report.
off to go ride right now!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just got a 02 crf cam installed in my trail bike yesterday... my mechanic charged me 40 bucks cash! what a deal...
mods are:
Lid off with stock foam filter
02 crf cam
hrc jetting
hrc T
hrc exhaust
11.5:1 je piston

i was running this quad with the stock cam for about 2 months now so i will have a good comparison for you guys...
i'll give a ride report.
off to go ride right now![/b]
Damn lucky. Its storming all over around here

·
Big Bore Killer
2,550 Posts
just got back, i'm sweating bullets as i type! lol
i can def. feel a diff. in the mid range...
i may be leaving some on the table with jetting but the front end does come up alot easier...
and when i run it down my drag track i made, i def. have to shift more often, it seems like i'm banging the gears as fast as i can and it just comes right up to almost redline...
next up is intake and a tuning session...
it really feels cool being able to mod it little by little and feel the diff. everything makes.
not like my drag quad where i went from a hrc kit to a venom bigbore venom ported high comp with fcr and hot cam! lol
i reccomend this cam to anyone looking for a reliable runner!
peace out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts