Axle Lock-Nut, Anti-Fade Brake Hub - Looking for Feedback - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hoser

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Making HP ainít free. . .

Axle Lock-Nut, Anti-Fade Brake Hub - Looking for Feedback

So Iím sick of my stock axle nut coming loose. I torque them to spec, loctite them, and check them frequently, but they still seem to come loose out on the trails or in the dunes. The only thing that kinda works is wrapping them with tape, but that doesnít necessarily keep them tight and the tape doesnít last very long. So Iím looking for feedback on locking axle nuts. Is a simple style like the Mod Quad locking axle nut good enough, or should a guy really step up to the anti-fade RPM or LSR style hub? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:24 PM
CJM
Truck Yea

Friend had the lonestar setup, loved it no issues. easy to adjust. I have the modquad one but havent put it on yet cause mine dont loosen.

Hoser: I lock mine with red loctite and then use tusk axle wrenches with breaker bars making sure its **** tight. never had one come loose. BUT I also religiously clean the threads and stuff when I do have it apart.

-2004 450R. Far From Stock.. Sold, crank was going
-2006 450R. New WHIP..
-Do it right the first time, and you wont have a problem later. Being cheap or taking the easy way out only makes matters worse later.
-Your Backyard Mechanic Extraordinaire: Responsible for bringing you redneck, ingenious and often interesting ways how to fix things.
-You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the H*ll happened. Captain Phil Harris
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! I’ve looked at the LSR setup, and it’s a bit cheaper, but I’ve always kinda preferred RPM, but the two don’t look that different. Well I hope that your nut loosens up soon so you can try that modquad nut out and give me some feedback lol! I use the same wrenches, but in Motion Pro flavor, and they get torqued to spec, but I use blue loctite to make pulling it apart a bit easier. This last ride was a fresh complete quad rebuild, only had a couple days of riding in the dunes on it, and then the first trail ride with lots of water it loosened up.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:13 AM
TRX90 Rider

Shouldn't you have a cotter pin on the axle nut to keep it from coming loose?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thEthan View Post
Shouldn't you have a cotter pin on the axle nut to keep it from coming loose?
Weíre talking about the inner and outer lock nuts on the axle bolt next to the brake hub, itís basically what holds your axle in the carrier. It sounds like you are thinking of the hub nut at the end of the axle.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 07:23 PM
CJM
Truck Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Thanks for the response! I’ve looked at the LSR setup, and it’s a bit cheaper, but I’ve always kinda preferred RPM, but the two don’t look that different. Well I hope that your nut loosens up soon so you can try that modquad nut out and give me some feedback lol! I use the same wrenches, but in Motion Pro flavor, and they get torqued to spec, but I use blue loctite to make pulling it apart a bit easier. This last ride was a fresh complete quad rebuild, only had a couple days of riding in the dunes on it, and then the first trail ride with lots of water it loosened up.

lol

yea idk man mine has been sitting waiting to go on but it never seems to loosen. not on any of the 450's or 400's i had lol. then again red loctite works wonders maybe

-2006 450R. New WHIP..
-Do it right the first time, and you wont have a problem later. Being cheap or taking the easy way out only makes matters worse later.
-Your Backyard Mechanic Extraordinaire: Responsible for bringing you redneck, ingenious and often interesting ways how to fix things.
-You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the H*ll happened. Captain Phil Harris
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:13 AM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
I have never had trouble with mine loosening without loctite. I tighten them pretty tight and will wrap them with tape for precaution but never any trouble. Is it loosening against the bearings or just the 2 nuts loosening and separating?

04 450r
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

On mine the jam or lock nut comes loose, then the big nut comes loose and I get lateral movement of the axle in the carrier. I’m surprised that not many other people are having issues with them coming loose, it seems like every quad I look at the nut is loose, and they come loose on my quads regularly as well. I’m just a bit apprehensive about using red loctite, I don’t want a big hassle when I go to pull the axle.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 08:52 PM
CJM
Truck Yea

I use plenty of red loctite. Nothing a torch cant undo in about 5 seconds. what are you using to tighten it? axle wrenches?

Wanna laugh? That nut swells fairly quick with some heat. I once stripped one out cause I went at it like a min later and it hadnt cooled enough and i put too many unnga dunngas on it and stripped it lol.

-2006 450R. New WHIP..
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

I use blue Loctite, the Motion Pro axle nut wrenches, and everything is torqued to spec using the torque spec for the wrenches.

I’m not a big fan of using heat to loosen nuts, and it seems like I’m pulling axles out regularly, so I like the idea of a locking axle nut. I’m just not sure which style I want to go with.

Lol, yeah, that’s why I tend to nut use heat unless it’s a last resort.
Ryan94Wright likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 07:57 PM
CJM
Truck Yea

meh the heat just breaks the loctite hoser. Nothing has loosened up on 3 different bikes for me and a buddies I did this way. But yea when your int he field and dont have a torch it might be an issue lol

-2006 450R. New WHIP..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page