Grinding noise - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By hoser
  • 1 Post By hoser

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Hey everyone need a little help. Got an 05 trx 450r was riding for about 30 mins then the trans kinda downshifted on its own so I stopped and put it in 1st went to accelerate and made an awful grinding noise that I could feel on the shifter. Tore apart the clutches didn’t really see anything that would really cause a grinding but ordered new clutch kit anyways. Anything I should check before installing new clutches? Oh also when I pulled out the clutch plates I could not get that pusher rod out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:13 AM
250EX Rider

Was there any oil in the Transmission?

I have seen where guys think the TRX450R/ER is like most other quads and don't realize that the Transmission and the Engine oil are separated and run their transmissions dry with out realizing it. Also remember too the Transmission is supposed to use a Wet Clutch Oil. Or a Gear oil like 80-95 weight

If you decide to do your clutch plates I recommend replacing the Inner and Outer clutch baskets because they become grooved.

Build Break Rebuild Better
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:02 AM
Making HP ainít free. . .

Sounds more like a transmission issue than a clutch issue to me, especially if you didn’t see anything wrong with the clutch and you could feel it through the shifter. You may end up having to split the cases.
Ryan94Wright likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

It did have transmission oil in it. I drained it to see if there was any metal particles or gunk. I did see the grooves on the basket but simple to file it smooth again. I’m hoping I to not have to split the cases 😱. When I dissembled the clutch pack I was able to turn the shaft and the basket it’s all smooth doesn’t feel like there’s a gear or bearing problem but that rod not coming out has me concerned.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

What oil do u guys use for the transmission. When I went to my local Honda dealer they told me to just use the same oil as the engine side 10w40 atv oil.... that’s what I’ve been using for the past year.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 PM
250EX Rider

You can use the same oil but it always seems smoother to me when I use gear oil.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:23 PM
Making HP ainít free. . .

I agree. I used to use HP4 in the tranny and HP4M in the engine, but then I switched to HP4S in the engine and the Pro Honda Transmission Oil and I think it feels and shifts smoother too.
Ryan94Wright likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Ok figured it out.... turns out I just stripped the **** teeth on the front sprocket... I’m an idiot sometimes 😂
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:52 PM
250EX Rider

lol! Glad you figured it out ha. Good thing you found it before the chain popped off and took out your case.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in