Another TRX450r with clutch issues. - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Another TRX450r with clutch issues.

Sooooo.... I bought an 07 TRX450r that needed some engine work. I re shimmed the valves, put on an aftermarket exhaust (Two Brothers), after market air filter, and cleaned, jetted, tuned the carb.

Quad starts on the first or second try every time now, runs smooth, and revs hard but I am having some weird Clutch issues.

The guy that had it before me had new clutches installed about 4 motor hours ago but about 8 months in time. Have the receipts and have personally inspected the discs, baskets, pressure plate, springs, yada yada yada....

The Quad had sat for the last 8 months, and about 2 weeks ago I bought it, loaded it up, took it home, and fixed the engine issues. I let the quad warm up to operating temp, dropped it into first and it killed the quad. Started it back up and tried again, same effect. I am able to shift into 2nd however and it now kill the bike, only lurch forward a few inches.

Took the trans cover off and the clutches were a sticky mess but it had been changed with Rotella White bottle so at least it was good oil in the case. Cleaned all of the plates and clutches, spec'd everything to make sure it wasn't warped... checked the clutch basket for grooving and everything was clean and smooth, mic'd the teeth on the the clutch basket and everything was within tolerance. Soaked everything in the Rotella, re assembled, and came back again with the same problem. Took all of the clutches out again, examined judder spring, inspected throw out bearing, and every part i can find and nothing seems to be bad.

Looked up a clutch diagram for a TRX450r and noticed i was missing a washer, part 22 from the throw out bearing. Ordered a new one and put it in and now the clutches will disengage some when standing beside the quad and pushing it while in first but you can still feel the drag and hear the plates and clutch discs rubbing as they rotate. Also when I added the washer i had to reduce all pull in the clutch cable just to get a tiny amount (1/8th of an inch) of play in the clutch.

I also noticed the diagram gave two different ways of installing the washer and lock washer for the clutch basket, Is one way better then another? and also I read on this forum, in another thread, that the last clutch plate goes in the shallow portion of the clutch basket.

See picture for example
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch diag.JPG (139.5 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Here is an example of what I mean with the last clutch. This is not a trx450r I'm just not at home to take a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch basket.jpg (47.5 KB, 13 views)

Racing; because Football, Golf, and Basketball only require one ball.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Here's one of ghotts photos and I just noticed he had the v grooved clutches in different channels, originally I pulled the clutches out and replaced them the exact way they came out. Is there a clocking pattern on the clutch disc's?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ghott.jpg (266.2 KB, 14 views)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Site Sponsor

My guess would be that the lack of the washer and/or incorrect adjustment of the clutch led to damage of the actual clutch discs. Sure they might spec out OK but if they heated up and got glazed then they are useless. Just the fact that they were stuck together would tend to make me think they are gone. A new clutch can be smoked in less than a few minutes if adjusted incorrectly, and not knowing what the previous owner did, I'd probably just replace the clutch, Hinson is as good as it gets, especially the springs, they last a long time, even in higher HP motors:

Honda TRX 450 Clutch Parts-Immortal ATV

Todd
http://immortalatv.com
(800)380-9646
[email protected]
Save 5% off $100 or more, use this coupon code: trx450r

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Immortal, when I say stuck together I mean the oil was acting like a glue.... but when I drained the oil it was a little milky any thoughts?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Site Sponsor

Milky sounds like water got in there, could be a coolant leak, could be from pressure washing, could be anything from the previous owner. Either way oil sounds like it was contaminated which can cause havoc on a fiber clutch disc. I'd say drain the tranny, replace the clutch, new oil, and see how it goes.

Todd
(800)380-9646
[email protected]

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Immortal, one last question, do factory steel plates have dimples or are they smooth?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Site Sponsor

OEM are smooth. In most cases if they are still flat then you can reuse them, just scuff them up a little, if they are blue then they probably got really hot and that's when I replace them.

Todd
(800)380-9646
[email protected]

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 10:03 PM
TRX90 Rider

I got a question I got a 2004 Honda 450r today I was riding and I had it in neutral and was going into first and it started to grind and now it won't got in any gear I guess that would be the clutch... any comments would be great thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by kippkoehn; 11-28-2019 at 11:22 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 04:28 PM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable? If so and it didn't help sounds like the clutch is out.

04 450r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page