Need some upgrade Help - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Need some upgrade Help

Hey guys, I've got my long travel suspension on my 2014 R and now that's done I want to do some performance upgrades. Current, I have a Fuel Customs intake, removed, lid, and HMF slip on. I was looking at the HRC kit however I have Header available to me brand new for $120. so I was thinking of getting Hotcams stage 2, get the HRC Jet's and needle as well. I haven't touched the piston yet, I don't think I want to go stroker or to a 480, I just want a reliable machine and have fun. My wife just bought me a rekluse clutch and I'm just needing a little more power. I do have the stock sprockets, just seem to be shifting quickly down low. But I've read multiple posts and I'm thinking this is the route I want to go, any different opinions? I trail ride and XC race. I'm still new to racing so just want to upgrade gradually and not too crazy.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

I have flexx bars +1 stem, long travel suspension, hiper wheels, couple others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 61213C7A-5021-4CEC-A97B-BC7668426D7B_1572124375922.jpeg (176.8 KB, 5 views)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 12:23 AM
CJM
Truck Yea

try swapping to a 37 or 36t rear sprocket, should space out the gears better

-2004 450R. Far From Stock.. Sold, crank was going
-2006 450R. New WHIP..
-Do it right the first time, and you wont have a problem later. Being cheap or taking the easy way out only makes matters worse later.
-Your Backyard Mechanic Extraordinaire: Responsible for bringing you redneck, ingenious and often interesting ways how to fix things.
-You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the H*ll happened. Captain Phil Harris
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:08 AM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
You can build a very reliable 480 if you are looking for more power. Honestly if you are looking for more power, while the hrc header will help with that I would be looking for an aftermarket exhaust. Dasa, Monster, Rossier, even HMF. Look around at several of the brands. The hrc jets are fine, but you can put together your own jet kit and lots of people use either the crf or yzf needles. All kinda depends on what your jetting needs. I prefer the early hrc cam which is probably getting harder to find but I still like the power it makes over the stage 2. There are a lot of good cam options out there just do your research.
Ryan94Wright likes this.

04 450r
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Thanks Duke, I have the HMF slip on so I was looking for a header that would compliment that. I have a guy at ace racing here in tx that has a header they built like the HRC. I just don’t have the cash at this time with Christmas coming, that may come next year. There is an HRC kit on eBay right now that’s $599. But I was thinking I could piece it together for less. If that kit was closer to $450 I would have bought it. I’m doing XC racing so like the mid range power bump. It’s been hard to find a HRC cam,
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

So it looks like that HRC kit is for the 06 models. mine is a 2014ER I've seen a lot of options for the R models and the 06*07 models, but not the 08+ER models. So I've not found any of the HRC cams for my model and I don't really want to buy more parts to get the cam to work. I think I'm going to get the hotcam's stage 2 and get the jetting and a new pipe since I already have the HMF slip on. I don't want to port just yet or replace the piston, but I think that the Stage 2 will fit my needs for the time being. I'm just looking for fun riding and doing a little bit of XC racing. Looks like the web cam and the megacycles are more expensive and good choices when I start upgrading some more. I just want to get like another 10-15 hp out of my atv for now.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:37 AM
CJM
Truck Yea

everything is exactly the same on yours compared to the older ones except for 04-05. The only 2 item that is annoying is your fuel screw is d shaped and not really adjustable (change it and chuck it) and your needle isnt adjustable.

HRC kit is hard to find these days. But in reality all you need is jets from 160-170 in increments of 2, a needle from a YFZ NCVQ and a 55 leak jet. You will want to replace the fuel screw either with one from an older 450 (pre 08) or just get an adjustable one. Then a nice hotcam stage 2 and throw away the airbox lid. Voila done.

Course that full exhaust helps. HMF, Dasa, CT, Monster are good pipes, dont buy cheap crap.

-2004 450R. Far From Stock.. Sold, crank was going
-2006 450R. New WHIP..
-Do it right the first time, and you wont have a problem later. Being cheap or taking the easy way out only makes matters worse later.
-Your Backyard Mechanic Extraordinaire: Responsible for bringing you redneck, ingenious and often interesting ways how to fix things.
-You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the H*ll happened. Captain Phil Harris
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 10:17 AM
450R Rider

The cam is the only real difference in the 06-07 and the newer ones. They make it out to be a huge deal to switch it but it is not. You can use the same cam tower you just need the decomp mechanism which you can find on ebay. I would not waste my money on an HRC kit as only a few pieces will really benefit you. The header will really help your bike over a slip on. I would also look up the green wire mod on here, it is cutting one wire and raises the rev limiter which can come in handy. CJM's carb recs should be close for a full exhaust and open lid. Either take the lid off or cut it similar to the 04-05 hrc lid which will give you a little protection in muddy races. Stage 2 is not a bad cam and is definitely good for drop in just never was my favorite.
Ryan94Wright likes this.

04 450r
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Yeah I have the lid removed, fuel customs intake, and an HMF slip on, that's why I was looking getting the header and a cam. only one's I've seen that are a decent price are the Sparks cam and the Hotcams, I like what I've read on the HC2 and the HRC, just can't find a HRC, so I'm kinda limited since my atv is mostly stock. My goal was to start with suspension then learn to ride the atv then start upgrading power. You have another suggestion on cam Duke? Also I don't see a lot of people here running FMF exhausts, I have that on my sons KFX400 and my old raptor, both had the megabomb header. I was thinking of looking in to that since I have the muffler.

I've read about the green wire, but haven't done that mod yet until I get my carb and cam set up to take advantage of the extra 900 RPM.

Wish I could do more, this time of year funds are a limited by the wife and Christmas, however I want to get a header and a cam before too long so I can learn to ride it before next season starts up.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 06:45 PM
450R Rider

You may need to look at your slip on close, some are made to be upgraded into a full and some are not so check that out. I do not have any other suggestions on the cam. HRC and HC are the main drop ins people use. I see a lot of Magnum on ebay and many use the crf cams for a while. I had a crf but wasn't very crazy about it. I have not seen any info on the newer crf and I am not really real sure they are set up with the decomp like yours so you would have to research that. I understand the cash deal, but I would just be sure to save up and wait on the good stuff instead of getting something now only to cost you again later to upgrade to what you actually want.

04 450r
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 11:39 PM
Making HP ainít free. . .

Your best bet is to get rid of that FMF pipe and put your money towards something nice. FMF isnít a great pipe by any means, and they are just unnecessarily loud. If you are going to be running in the woods and put a lot of hours on your quad I would stay away from Dasa as well, they are the least durable pipe I have ever used and the quiet cores break on a regular basis. I really like Yoshimura pipes myself, and HMF pipes are decent, but I havenít had a chance to run the monster or empire pipes yet.

The HC2 is a good cam, you really canít go wrong with it. Web Cams have a very wide range of cams to choose from, but they definitely are on the more expensive side. You can find them cheaper than the price thatís listed on their site. The nice thing about Web Cams is they will recommend a good cam for your setup and they have good customer service. You donít need a ton of power to be fast in the woods

Get your ergonomics setup so you are comfortable while riding, things like a taller stem, different handlebar bend, gripper seat, steering stabilizer, etc. will all make riding in the woods a lot more comfortable and will ultimately make you faster.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 07:22 PM
TRX90 Rider

Upgrading you suspension, and getting the bike handling well would be a good idea to start with, before you spend alot of money on motor upgrades. And improving your cardio will do wonders to help you in a 2 hour race!

You may want to look into a steering stabilizer as well. They REALLY help, IF you race in tight woods. They really take a lot of the jolt out of smacking a tree or cross rutting!
Almost every A-class and up rider uses a good stabilizer. Those CCP stabilizers are fairly cheap on ebay. Or you can sometimes find a good deal on a Precision.

Good luck!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

So I did some research and found out that the only CRF model I can switch with is the 2008 because it had the same decomp set up. It's the one that the CRF 450X guys switch to that have a 09-2013 set up which is similar to ours. So the same hotcams for those two models is the same for the 2008+ER TRX. they are the same lift and decomp set up, confirmed with hotcams yesterday. They just have a different part number. So Looks like I can get a stock CRF450R, or a hotcams set up for the same model which is nice. So My options have opened up a bit, I'm going to get the HC2,

I also called HMF directly and they have a pipe for my HMF Slip on so it will be a full system. A little more than the FMF but I know this will work and take advantage of my current pipe instead of having to buy and entire kit.

I'm just looking for Options just for a little more power and have fun in the woods and reliable without changing a ton of of things. Cams are easily changeable so I can try more in the future and they aren't too expensive.

The suspension is all set up already, with long travel. flex bars, CCP, +1 stem. and I've been working out for the past two months 2-5 times a week. So I'm doing good there.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

So Ordered my Hotcams stage 2, NCVQ needle with jet kit with different sizes to do some tunning and a 55 leak Jet. Ordering my HMF pipe today. Called Hotcams and they stated the part numbers are different for the 2008 CRF450r and the CRF450x 2008+ but they are the same exact cam.

My goal here was to just optimize what I already have and to get a good foundation for my atv going forward, I have spent over $6k this year buying and modding my ATV and I'm about at my wife's limit. SO I'm going to have a nice handling and fun quad to run on trails and XC race. I've had 4 surgeries in the past year and half so I'm working out and really focused on getting in shape by march.

Thanks again for all the help guys.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Making HP ainít free. . .

Sounds like you’ll have a nice running and great handling machine!

I think your goal will be met, and like I said earlier, you don’t need a bunch of power for the woods, so I think you’ll be good. But I’m sure the desire for more power will return lol. I’m kinda interested to see what the headpipe looks like for your slip on. I know HMF offers a service to turn your slip on into a full system pipe by replacing the inlet on the pipe, but I’ve never seen a headpipe made for a SO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page