Advanced Flywheel Key? - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gboezio

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

Smile Advanced Flywheel Key?

I'm pretty Familiar with building the TRX450R engines and such but one thing I never really thought about (and I don't see much of) is flywheel mods... Other then guys asking and thinking lighter = more power which I know that isn't true and I don't wanna go that rout any ways just for many obvious reasons unless someone well educated knows what they're talking about with this topic.

So I am wondering do any of you guys know if they make a Flywheel that is a bit more Advanced then the Stock flywheel or even a Advancing Key? I looked can't seem to find any "Performance Flywheels". I do run the factory CDI unit and yes I have ran a few aftermarket ones which were the Big Gun, then tried a Procom and the I bought a used Dynatech box and honestly wasn't really to impressed with any of them, especially the Dyna. They only seemed to rev higher and added a tiny bit of throttle response which is great but honestly seemed like the Stock box pulls a little harder when I accelerate then the other 2 did. Another thing I noticed also is the other 2 CDI boxes do not use the Throttle Position Circuit or something? I tested the pink wire at the Throttle Position Sensor with the other 2 boxes and it had 0 volts, then the OEM box has 5V DC at the Pink wire so that tells me the OEM CDI box is reading the TP sensor position and the other 2 boxes and just a basic advanced timing at all times and higher rev VS, the OE Box obviously is changing timing as you open the throttle and let off.

So my Idea behind this is advance my timing mechanically just a few degrees and also advance the timing as the RPM's climb like the OEM box does but just a little more then it normally would.

I do know that if I advance my timing it will also "raise the compression" of the engine while it's running, I already am at 13:75.1 Compression and I do run VP 110 fuel sooo... I would assume as long as I am running the High Octane fuel so I think I'd be alright there.

Thanks to any answers.

Build Break Rebuild Better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:52 AM
450R Rider

I run low compression and I have infinite timing adjustment
If the base timing is too advanced, it will kick back and be impossible to start.
The base timing is too advanced already at low RPM and high throttle.
I think that the TPS only pulls the timing when closed, probably because of the starting issue.
I pretty sure that the engine would like a 4 degrees advance at stock compression, maybe higher but always tune for minimum timing for best power, AT ALL RPMS, camshaft and porting can change the timing requirement, you need less timing at torque peak and more at power peak, tuning por power peak can let the engine ping at torque peak.
CDI ignition is outdated and must be replaced by later automotive coil technology
Ryan94Wright likes this.

2008 TRX 450ER XC racing
FMSQ # 281
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page