Which big bore cylinder to buy? - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By hoser
  • 1 Post By hawk-trx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Which big bore cylinder to buy?

I’m looking to buy a 97mm cylinder for my 2005 trx450r. My choices are cylinder works, Athena, or have the stock cylinder bored and re-plated. All 3 setups will have a 13-1 cp piston. Which cylinder is the best one to go with out of these 3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Making HP ainít free. . .

Personally I wouldn’t run a +3mm bored stock cylinder, especially if you go with a stroker crank like you mentioned in another thread.

I’ve run CW cylinders for many years and haven’t had any issues, both stock stroke, and strokers, even after having them replated. Never had any problems with Athena either, but I haven’t put as many hours on Athena as CW. Now that the price of Athena kits have come down, I would probably lean in that direction, unless you want a stock looking cylinder then the CW is the way to go.
Ryan94Wright likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:04 PM
450R Veteran

I have only ran one bored 97mm stock cylinder and it didn't last long. I don't blame it on the cylinder being bored but rather short skirts on the piston and too much PC clearence
The walls on the athena are thicker then the cylinder works and I I remember right the water jackets hold more water, so if price is the same or close that's what I would choose
That said I have never had any problems with any cylinder works cylinders and when I bought a few of them they were less then half what athena would have cost.
Ryan94Wright likes this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:11 PM
TRX90 Rider

We have ran a stock cylinder bore out +3mm with 14:1 piston without issue, but no go with any stroker.

Ran a Cylinder Works +3mm cylinder with stroker without issue, but they come as a kit with cylinder and piston or you will have to find a good used cylinder.

Haven't ran an Athena but I wouldn't hesitate to run one they are good cylinder and can be ran with a stroker. I believe you have to run their head gasket.

Another option is a DW +3mm cylinder. We run one with a stroker without issue, but the 6mm bolt hole is misaligned. It's an easy fix, but if you don't want to mess with it buy it from someone that checks the fit before they send it to you.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Looks like Athena is the way I’m going to go I can get the cylinder and a 13:1 cp piston for $480. I really wanted to do cylinder works because I wanted it to look stock but the cheapest I could find them was about $500 and it comes with 10:5:1 piston. So I would have to buy another piston. Also decided not to bore a stock cylinder because in the future I want a stroker crank. (Does anyone know where I can get a cylinder works cylinder with a 13:1 piston for a good price).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:39 PM
450R Veteran

I have had good luck with Paul at woodwards, but it's been so long sense I bought anything I don't know if he's still in business. Yu could also check with racers edge, there could be a chance he might have a take off from someone going from 480/501 to a 99mm set up.

I think I bought 5 cylinders from woodwards for 175ea back when you could buy them without a kit
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 01:04 AM
250EX Rider

Yes Racers Edge will have what he needs.

Build Break Rebuild Better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page