‘05 FCR conversion assistance. - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sigshot
  • 1 Post By Sigshot

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

‘05 FCR conversion assistance.

Hello folks. Looking for a little assistance on swapping out my stock carb to an FCR.
First question is pretty simple: can someone give me some hose routing pictures or diagrams? I’ve looked online, and finding good clear pics is an issue. The carb I picked up had no hoses on it, and my stock carb is different (obviously,) so I have nothing to reference.
Second question is a lil more important. My ‘05 came with two plugs: a two wire with a tan black stripe, yellow tan stripe, and a three wire with a green, green yellow stripe, and tan wire.

The FCR (whose plugs I need to either buy new for Honda, or reuse my old ones,) has two plugs: a two wire with a yellow black stripe, and black, and a three wire with blue, yellow, and black.

The FCR, the previous owner believes (to the best of his knowledge,) was off an ‘04 YFZ450

If I can buy new plugs, great. If I have to snip, solder, shrink wrap, no worries. Just need to know which wire replaces which from the FCR wires to the Honda plugs.

Oh, one more thing: what the heck is up with the size difference between the fuel inlets? The stock ‘05 looks like it has an inlet the size of a Camaro. Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F5F0865F-7CB4-491F-9B9B-AEC8BF4257C8_1561072253178.jpg (97.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg B1C0AFAA-BDD4-48DA-A9EE-ADEFB6E2EA4B_1561072269940.jpg (102.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg A0A85B79-61D6-4A97-B12D-65314CB0554B_1561072301610.jpg (131.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 5E34E521-0806-4371-A6F3-494107391F04_1561072329342.jpg (87.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg D1EE4345-0BA8-4BC5-9CBD-5D1BDCFCB091_1561072356314.jpg (101.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg A24CA3EB-69FB-45B6-8178-7D724D69F659_1561072366566.jpg (117.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg E848CC1F-7334-4EAF-A878-EA5B7DE20567_1561072379296.jpg (96.4 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:35 AM
250EX Rider

The Tan, Black Stripe wire and the Yellow Stripe (2 wire connector)

That is the Carburetor Bowl Heater Element. You really do not need that. The FCR carbs don't have them so don't worry about it, however they put them on the OEM carbs because for the Colder Clements it's to keep the carburetor warm because the gasoline vaporizes better when it's a little warm.

So to answer the question for that one you really don't need it for the FCR. You will just now have an empty plug under the seat.

The three wire with a green, green yellow stripe, and tan (3 Wire connector)

Those are for the Throttle Position Sensor. Some will say you don't need a TP Sensor... Me personally I WOULD recommend getting one because it changes your Ignition Timing through out the RPM Range... I mean Honda and all other manufactures did not design that for no reason... Yes it will run fine with no TP sensor but like I said better to run one in my opinion, just it will give a little better Throttle Response with it. Just look on eBay for a used TP sensor for a 2006 or newer TRX450ER, it will fit most FCR Carbs and plug right into the OEM plug under the seat. Just will need the Owners Manual to set the Throttle Position Sensor to a certain Resistance. I can get you that spec if you need it. To remove the Yamaha Style one just use a T8 or T10 Torx. Sometimes they're Security Torx. Some guys say you can just cut the wires and wire it to the Honda Connector but... the thing is that the TP sensor for the Yamaha and the Honda have totally different resistance values and will not function how it should because the CDI/ECU is not getting the right reading.

Where to find a FCR Carburetor Adapter

If you go to AZ Quad Parts Website (or just do a search on eBay) "FCR adaptor trx450r" should be the first one that pops up. Anyways he makes the adapters and sells them for $65.00.

The Hose Routing

They don't have a special routing other then it's just venting mainly and they just need to point down to keep water and Moister from trickling down" into the carburetor.

Also Yes that definitely is a YFZ450 (Or a Yamaha style FCR) Carburetor, you can always tell by the Grey Triangle Shaped Plug.

Build Break Rebuild Better

Last edited by Ryan94Wright; 06-21-2019 at 01:43 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Phenomenal. Thank you. I’m gonna look for that TPS now, and I’ll take that spec you mentioned or reference. Thank you kindly
Ryan94Wright likes this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:31 PM
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigshot View Post
Hello folks. Looking for a little assistance on swapping out my stock carb to an FCR.
First question is pretty simple: can someone give me some hose routing pictures or diagrams? I’ve looked online, and finding good clear pics is an issue. The carb I picked up had no hoses on it, and my stock carb is different (obviously,) so I have nothing to reference.
Second question is a lil more important. My ‘05 came with two plugs: a two wire with a tan black stripe, yellow tan stripe, and a three wire with a green, green yellow stripe, and tan wire.

The FCR (whose plugs I need to either buy new for Honda, or reuse my old ones,) has two plugs: a two wire with a yellow black stripe, and black, and a three wire with blue, yellow, and black.

The FCR, the previous owner believes (to the best of his knowledge,) was off an ‘04 YFZ450

If I can buy new plugs, great. If I have to snip, solder, shrink wrap, no worries. Just need to know which wire replaces which from the FCR wires to the Honda plugs.

Oh, one more thing: what the heck is up with the size difference between the fuel inlets? The stock ‘05 looks like it has an inlet the size of a Camaro. Thanks all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan94Wright View Post

That is the Carburetor Bowl Heater Element. You really do not need that. The FCR carbs don't have them so don't worry about it, however they put them on the OEM carbs because for the Colder Clements it's to keep the carburetor warm because the gasoline vaporizes better when it's a little warm.

So to answer the question for that one you really don't need it for the FCR. You will just now have an empty plug under the seat.

Those are for the Throttle Position Sensor. Some will say you don't need a TP Sensor... Me personally I WOULD recommend getting one because it changes your Ignition Timing through out the RPM Range... I mean Honda and all other manufactures did not design that for no reason... Yes it will run fine with no TP sensor but like I said better to run one in my opinion, just it will give a little better Throttle Response with it. Just look on eBay for a used TP sensor for a 2006 or newer TRX450ER, it will fit most FCR Carbs and plug right into the OEM plug under the seat. Just will need the Owners Manual to set the Throttle Position Sensor to a certain Resistance. I can get you that spec if you need it. To remove the Yamaha Style one just use a T8 or T10 Torx. Sometimes they're Security Torx. Some guys say you can just cut the wires and wire it to the Honda Connector but... the thing is that the TP sensor for the Yamaha and the Honda have totally different resistance values and will not function how it should because the CDI/ECU is not getting the right reading.

If you go to AZ Quad Parts Website (or just do a search on eBay) "FCR adaptor trx450r" should be the first one that pops up. Anyways he makes the adapters and sells them for $65.00.

The Hose Routing

They don't have a special routing other then it's just venting mainly and they just need to point down to keep water and Moister from trickling down" into the carburetor.

Also Yes that definitely is a YFZ450 (Or a Yamaha style FCR) Carburetor, you can always tell by the Grey Triangle Shaped Plug.
I just did the fcr swap on my 04 and personally I would use the air box off the 06+ bikes because the adapter requires you to file some of the carb and then epoxy, plus the airbox is better off the newer ones, just make sure you also have the newer filter because it won’t work, you will need a new throttle cable off the newer bikes.

Yes-it goes fast
No-you can't ride it
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

That adapter came with the carb I bought already on there
Ryan94Wright likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan94Wright View Post

The Hose Routing

Bought a new tps off eBay. Any info on how to properly set it would be appreciated. Tried to find some videos, but what I found weren’t too specific, or were for different carbs. So what ever you got, I’ll take!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page