Ported head hit coolant jacket - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By hoser
  • 1 Post By mccafferykid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Ported head hit coolant jacket

Hey guys I’ve been chasing this issue since I put the engine back together. Brand new rebuild top and bottom new cyl, new cp piston(stock bore 12.5:1), ported head with +1 valves. Installed everything according to the shop manual and when I first started it up it smoked like crazy (antifreeze smoke). I knew it was anti freeze from the smell and saw it dripping from the exhaust port where the head pipe meets it. It also ran down the Cyl causing me to think it was the head gasket. My theory is. If there was anti freeze sitting on top of the piston it would be hard to start right? Nope cranks right up within 3 rotations of the engine. Still smoked after 4 heat cycles. I pulled the head pipe off and found a pool of lime green cool juice sitting on the driver side exhaust valve(hasn’t been running) Drained the coolant out and took out the thermostat and blew on the radiator overflow hose that goes to the overflow tank and sure enough. There’s a tiny little pinhole on the driver side exhaust port right on the edge of the “short side radius” or right where it drops off to go down to the valve. If somebody can tell me how to post a video from a iPhone I will post it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:20 AM
Making HP ainít free. . .

It’s pretty typical. Most good shops will fill that area with epoxy before they port the head knowing that there’s a good chance that will happen. Send the head back to the shop that ported it and tell them to take care of it.
ghott likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Well guys. Got my head back. For anybody that hasn’t or doesn’t know. Racers edge is the SH** and John is a great guy and his customer service is unbeatable. Had the head back within a week and a half and he sent me another head gasket. Those are the things that make a good reputation for a shop OR a certain person (John Dyer). Bike runs like a top and I will be changing the oil for the first time this week. Thanks again RE
hoser likes this.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Making HP ainít free. . .

Thanks for the update!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page