4Likes
  • 2 Post By duke416ex
  • 1 Post By hoser
  • 1 Post By duke416ex

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

New Cam Won't start

I recently installed a 04-06 crf cam in my 06' and it will not start. I've done everything by the book, valves shimmed correctly; .006 on the intakes and .011 on the exhausts. Ive set the decomp via compression gauge to 55-60 psi, I've checked timing literally over a 100x the past couple days & everything looks dead on. I have spark & plug is wet when I check. I've gotten it to start a couple times for 2 seconds, it also backfires sometimes when I try to start it. I through a 45 pilot in while I was waiting on the cam to come in, also changed the return spring on carb. I don't know if I might've messed with the tps by pulling the throttle shaft out when I changed the spring if that would cause it to act like this. The quad ran perfect before installing this cam. I also threw the old cam in & it wouldn't even run with that. If anybody could help me with some suggestions on what to check or look for i'd really appreciate it.
Pics of timing so I can stop reverting back to "its gotta be the timing"
https://imgur.com/sFeqbTk
https://imgur.com/TIBY3UK
https://imgur.com/uCVAL0n
https://imgur.com/vb3mpRG

2006 trx450r

- CP 12:5:1

- 06 CRF Cam

- Empire Industries Exhaust

- No lid w/Uni Filter

- Jogaca Suspension triple rate revalves

- BNR rear shock mod w/GT Thunder link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:11 AM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
Did you hook all the carb switches back up and are the wires on the handle bars to the throttle still hooked up? That is a safety switch that can sometimes mess with them running. Also, the cam looks like it is right but do you have a degree wheel to check that the cam may not have spun in the flange? <I reread what you said that you tried the old cam too but just leaving this up there as a thought.

Try unhooking the tps and seeing if it runs like that. Also did you take the slide out? Some people have had trouble when it gets put in backwards. Did you do anything else to it at all?
hoser and JordtrX like this.

04 450r
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke416ex View Post
Did you hook all the carb switches back up and are the wires on the handle bars to the throttle still hooked up? That is a safety switch that can sometimes mess with them running. Also, the cam looks like it is right but do you have a degree wheel to check that the cam may not have spun in the flange? <I reread what you said that you tried the old cam too but just leaving this up there as a thought.

Try unhooking the tps and seeing if it runs like that. Also did you take the slide out? Some people have had trouble when it gets put in backwards. Did you do anything else to it at all?
The cam is brand new from Honda. Yes all wires where hooked back up, I barely touched the TORS switch on the carb to see if it was engaging or not and it broke off on me, I ended up just bypassing it. I went back through the carb & I did in fact have the slide plate upside down, also didn't have the little roller for the accelerator pump on in the right place where it rides. I lost spark after I fixed those issues due to a janky spark plug wire, I didn't even get to see if the things I had wrong on the carb was the problem. I ended up ordering a new coil just to get a new wire, hopefully she'll fire up when that comes in.

2006 trx450r

- 06 CRF Cam

- No lid w/Uni Filter

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Well, got the coil in today, she fired right up!

2006 trx450r

- 06 CRF Cam

- No lid w/Uni Filter

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Making HP ainít free. . .

Glad you got it running!
JordtrX likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Glad you got it running!
Thanks man! was my first time in the top end in the 3 years I've owned the quad, was never doubtful of my capability to do the work, I just was nervous I was gonna mess something up. I've been through carb numerous times and I can't believe I had that slide in upside down lol.

2006 trx450r

- 06 CRF Cam

- No lid w/Uni Filter

Last edited by JordtrX; 04-21-2019 at 05:27 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:08 PM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
Glad its running.
JordtrX likes this.

04 450r
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke416ex View Post
Glad its running.
Thanks, man what a difference coming from a stock cam. I am now however getting a weird back fire on start up and when I shut it off, more of a cough with a flame rather than a backfire when I shut it off. Rode it yesterday for the first time, no popping at all just on start up. Recently switched from a Monster exhaust to the Empire just before I got the cam, it was doing it with the stock cam as soon as I threw the Empire on so I think its Exhaust/Jetting related, it never did it with the Monster. Here's a video I took today of what its doing, in video is with a 45 pilot 2 3/4 turns out on the fuel screw. Would a Exhaust leak cause this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geV13RgltKo

2006 trx450r

- 06 CRF Cam

- No lid w/Uni Filter

Last edited by JordtrX; 04-29-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page