Possibly blown - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Possibly blown

Was riding and on it pretty good. All of a sudden all my oil is blowing out breather hose lost all power now the only way it runs is pulling it off and still has no power. Any thoughts? Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:02 PM
450R Rider

Sounds like a cracked piston, I wouldn't budge it !!
Ryan94Wright likes this.

2008 TRX 450ER XC racing
FMSQ # 281
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboezio View Post
Sounds like a cracked piston, I wouldn't budge it !!
Ok thanks for the advice. One thing after another lol. Good thing I still have my 400 to ride. Old dependable
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:56 PM
Making HP ainít free. . .

I agree, or seized ring, but probably something along those lines. And as gboezio said don’t try to run it anymore, but unfortunately your cylinder is probably already trashed. If those 400s are anything, they’re reliable!!
Ryan94Wright likes this.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Ok so just wondering how hard it is to do a rebuild. Never tore into one that far. I have replaced timing chains, clutches, stuff along those lines but never separated cases before. Is it fairly straight forward or would you guys recommend a professional install. If so does anyone know of someone close to Virginia that does good work? Looking at my options here. Thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Just kinda figure at this point a fresh rebuild may be my best option that way I know what I have and what's been done.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:14 PM
Making HP ainít free. . .

If it’s a cracked piston or something along those lines there’s no need to split the cases. That’s only required for crank or tranny work. It depends on what you want to do to it, but you may be ok doing it yourself as long as you have a service manual and are careful. You could do a new OEM cylinder and piston, or if you want more power I would recommend a higher compression CP forged piston. Or you could send your cylinder into Millennium and they could fix it or bore it depending on what you need and they could supply you with a new piston and then size the cylinder to your piston which is what I like to do.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Kinda up in the air as to what I should do. Just recently bought this quad. Not sure what is in it now. I have a clymer manual and I'm mechanically knowledgable. Just never tore into one this far. If I can do the rebuild myself I would. And then i would know it's all fresh. If it's just a cylinder and piston and stuff i know i can do it. Never split cases before though.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Whats the easiest way to check the crank on a 08 450r? I'm at a crossroads trying to figure out what to do. My right case is broken where the starter bolts up, so if I'm gonna replace that then I should just do a complete rebuild. But if the crank and bearings are good then I'll just do the top end and keep on kicking lol.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:31 PM
CJM
Truck Yea

I wouldnt chance it if you have that much apart, just replace the crank bearings with genuine honda parts.

-2004 450R. Far From Stock.. Sold, crank was going
-2006 450R. New WHIP..
-Do it right the first time, and you wont have a problem later. Being cheap or taking the easy way out only makes matters worse later.
-Your Backyard Mechanic Extraordinaire: Responsible for bringing you redneck, ingenious and often interesting ways how to fix things.
-You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the H*ll happened. Captain Phil Harris
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:38 PM
450R Rider

Easiest way and first thing to do is to check the oil filter, brass usually comes from the crank, aluminium will come from the cylinder and piston, if no shavings well maybe the engine has no damage and back to guessing.
First I would take the engine off, first timer it's a 2-3 hours job, I get mine on the desk in 30 minutes with an air wrench. If the swingarm bolt get stuck, well your in deep lol.

Then sit it on a tire and start removing the top end, bag and label camshaft, bolts and stuff, pull the cylinder since you need to do it anyway. Once there you will have a hand on the crankshaftby pulling the rod up and down if you are able to feel any slack, not sideways but pure up and down it cooked. Then you need to pull the crank up and down to check the main bearings, there should be only a very slight slack and very little side to side movement, if you hear clunks while moving it, no good, if the pin end show any signs of overheating it's cooked. Best is to get someone that build engines to get a look at it

2008 TRX 450ER XC racing
FMSQ # 281
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboezio View Post
Easiest way and first thing to do is to check the oil filter, brass usually comes from the crank, aluminium will come from the cylinder and piston, if no shavings well maybe the engine has no damage and back to guessing.
First I would take the engine off, first timer it's a 2-3 hours job, I get mine on the desk in 30 minutes with an air wrench. If the swingarm bolt get stuck, well your in deep lol.
Then sit it on a tire and start removing the top end, bag and label camshaft, bolts and stuff, pull the cylinder since you need to do it anyway. Once there you will have a hand on the crankshaftby pulling the rod up and down if you are able to feel any slack, not sideways but pure up and down it cooked. Then you need to pull the crank up and down to check the main bearings, there should be only a very slight slack and very little side to side movement, if you hear clunks while moving it, no good, if the pin end show any signs of overheating it's cooked. Best is to get someone that build engines to get a look at it
Know of anyone who does good work at a fair price, possibly close to Virginia.
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:34 AM
450R Rider

This would be a good question for Ghott, hope he chimes in.

2008 TRX 450ER XC racing
FMSQ # 281
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

So took oil filter out and looks like some silver metal shavings in oil and filter. So I'm thinking maybe just rings and piston. So a top end rebuild kit. Any suggestions on the kind of kit I should but. Should I call somewhere like racers edge, or ct. Racing. See all kinds of kits on Ebay and stuff just dont know if I trust them.
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Gonna tear it apart this weekend and see where I'm at. If I'm lucky and I just need a top end kit can someone recommend a good reliable kit to buy. See a bunch of kits on Ebay but not sure how reliable they are. Is a big bore kit reliable? Seen a few of those like a 480cc athena kit and a few more cant remember all of them. Or should I stick with stock bore? Seen an athena kit with standard bore also. Any recommendations. Any certain kit I should buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page