2013 performance increase - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

2013 performance increase

current set up is ss/sb 12.5-1 ported head and cam designed by tom carlson full dasa exhaust 45 pilot obel-r needle 170 main ehs lid and foam filter with stock box and intake also green wire mod bike runs good and will pull up to the limiter in hi gear with stock gearing and 20 inch tires gps on my phone recorded 78 mph would a fuel customs intake be worth while on this set up would i see any improvement with one any other ideas for improvement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:41 PM
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatracer View Post
current set up is ss/sb 12.5-1 ported head and cam designed by tom carlson full dasa exhaust 45 pilot obel-r needle 170 main ehs lid and foam filter with stock box and intake also green wire mod bike runs good and will pull up to the limiter in hi gear with stock gearing and 20 inch tires gps on my phone recorded 78 mph would a fuel customs intake be worth while on this set up would i see any improvement with one any other ideas for improvement
Fci is the best intake. I noticed the difference from stock with just the fci.
If you don't mind me asking, what numbers you make with your current mods?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

not sure never had it on a dyno did the new intake require a jetting change to your bike
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:05 PM
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatracer View Post
not sure never had it on a dyno did the new intake require a jetting change to your bike
yes. Had a 175main. But now it's at 200 main for cam and exhaust.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:55 AM
250EX Rider

FCI is a good Intake... and to answer your question is Yes it will make little bit of a noticeable gain on top of what you already have.

If you can't afford to have it Dyno Tuned or you don;t want to then just do a lot of research on FCR Carburetor Tuning or just look around on the 450R Forums get an idea. Also Whats your Elevation? This is important. If you do find a guy running your same or similar mods in a lower or higher elevation and you end up using his jetting on your bike it can end up running way worse. Look and see what other guys with Similar Mods are running for jetting in your same Elevation.

What I do when ever I tune a Carburetor I go to a local Motor Cycle shop or dealer, you can also order some OEM jets (take note that I said OEM jets!) because it happens to a lot of guys end up buying a (Dyno Jet Kit) and not that Dyno Jet is bad at all but what I'm getting at is (Dyno Jet) it uses different numbers to size their jets. Example 170 Main Jet (Dyno Jet Brand) is actually equivalent to a (154 OEM Main Jet) so you will run super lean on accident when you think you jetted it up. Also get you a NCVQ needle it's essentially just a YFZ450 and YZ450F OEM needle but will fit any other FCR carburetor.

If the quad idles and you see red hot header pipe off the head then that means your Pilot jet needs to be upped a few sizes (example 40 and it's red hot go to a 45)

If the Quad starts to run way to hot while normal riding or the Header pipe starts glowing bright red hot under "slow/normal cruising" that means the Main Jet needs to be upped a few sizes (most good jetting points for FCR carbs are a 175 to 180 main jet) Lets also mention a LITTLE bit of red hot header is fine for the first 4'' to 6'' inches while you're cruising around.

If the Quad spits and sputters during 1/4 to 1/2 Throttle (under normal cruising speed) that is an indicator that the Needle needs to be Enriched (Move Clip down Lower This allows the needle sit higher allowing more fuel to flow past it)

Tuning the idle Air Screw, make sure the engine is warmed up, you then wanna turn the idle up to a (higher Idle) and then start turning the (Idle Air Screw) out till the engine starts to die, if the engine stalls turn that scre back in about 1/4 or 1/2 turn back in Restart the engine.

A good Baseline I would suggest to start with.

Main Jet - 170-180
Pilot 42 - 48
Leak Jet - 55
Idle Air Screw 2 to 2 1/2 Turns out (or till you hear the engine Idling down with a high idle)
(NCVQ needle) 3rd Clip setting from the Top

Build Break Rebuild Better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page