Primary Gear Bolt - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By duke416ex
  • 1 Post By Thrown Stones

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Cane Rider!

Primary Gear Bolt

The bolt is not loose. Engine spins over freely. Please tell me, the crank is no way floating outward to cause this rub. I don’t think the crank could move that far over and move with ease. The primary gear didn’t run the clutch basket. Maybe the nut came loose previously and left those marks. I’m losing my mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:15 AM
250EX Rider

Check to make sure that the Bolt is torqued down. It needs to be 80 ft lbs. You will need a gear holder or something to stop the gears from spinning so you can torque it down properly. It's possible it came loose and re tightened it's self back up from the momentum of the engine.

If it is torqued to that spec already... Next I would check to see if you can move the crank in and out like as if you're trying to "Pull and push" on that bolt. Should not move or make a clunk sound. If it does it's possible that the left bearing let loose of the Crank Shaft and allowed the crank to walk over... But i don't think it would walk over that far...

Does the Oil Filter have any Metal Shavings in it?

Build Break Rebuild Better

Last edited by Ryan94Wright; 01-19-2019 at 02:23 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:25 PM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
On the clutch side so no shavings, but I agree was there any shavings in the oil? That would tell you if it happened this time or previous. Also, take the bolt cover off and install the side cover on with a couple bolts and see how it fits. That washer behind the bolt looks off center, maybe it was installed wrong or the wrong washer that makes it stick to far out.
Ryan94Wright likes this.

04 450r
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Cane Rider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan94Wright View Post
Check to make sure that the Bolt is torqued down. It needs to be 80 ft lbs. You will need a gear holder or something to stop the gears from spinning so you can torque it down properly. It's possible it came loose and re tightened it's self back up from the momentum of the engine.

If it is torqued to that spec already... Next I would check to see if you can move the crank in and out like as if you're trying to "Pull and push" on that bolt. Should not move or make a clunk sound. If it does it's possible that the left bearing let loose of the Crank Shaft and allowed the crank to walk over... But i don't think it would walk over that far...

Does the Oil Filter have any Metal Shavings in it?
The bolt is tight. No metal shavings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke416ex View Post
On the clutch side so no shavings, but I agree was there any shavings in the oil? That would tell you if it happened this time or previous. Also, take the bolt cover off and install the side cover on with a couple bolts and see how it fits. That washer behind the bolt looks off center, maybe it was installed wrong or the wrong washer that makes it stick to far out.
The washer is centered and it is the correct one. The pic gives it that illusion. It’s back together. Need to add fluids and run her.
Ryan94Wright likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:35 AM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
Still rubbing or did you figure it out?

04 450r
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Cane Rider!

No rubbing now. Must have been from a previous time. It sucks getting old.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:45 PM
250EX Rider

lol

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:35 AM
450R Rider

I know what you mean lol We get a headfull of everything and loose some bits here and there !!

2008 TRX 450ER XC racing
FMSQ # 281
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:42 AM
250EX Rider

Not sure why but this reminded me of the time I built my old 400EX engine.

So anyways I did an 89mm Big Bore High Compression Piston, Ported Head, +1 Valves, Stage 2 Hot cam, 450R Carb all kinds of fun parts in it. So I finally finished it up took me a couple weeks. So Finally one morning I started it, let it warm up, took it out for a test ride ran great and then stalled I thought it was weird so I started it again and it fired right back up... stalled again about 500 feet down the road, and (as I thought some really bad pre detonation) because I was running regular 91 in it with the 12:5.1 compression and know how the 400EX's are finicky with high compression... So I changed the fuel to a VP100, still did it... Weird thing was it always would fire right back up, so I finally was thinking and thinking sitting in my shop after messing with it and it always would fire up and run great... and I seen this little gear sitting on my bench I was like NO!! I pulled the clutch cover off and... Yupp it was the Oil Pump Drive gear!

Luckily Just had to replace the Piston and Cylinder! The funny part is that I guess when I orderd the Piston for the quad from Wiseco in the first place that they accidentally sent me a 2nd Piston. I noticed the day after when I tore my engine back apart and discovered the piston and Cylinder were scored up I seen another package on my porch and I was confused because I was like "What else did I order?" Opened it up and it was another brand new piston! What are the odds? lol! I found another Cylinder and gaskets that night and orderd it and with in that week it was ready to go again haha. I'm a very honest guy but I said what the ****! I never even told them that they sent me 2 pistons.

Last edited by Ryan94Wright; 02-20-2019 at 04:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page