05 doesn't rev out to redline - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By phillybuilt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

05 doesn't rev out to redline

Helped a friend build an 05. Pretty much same thing as mine, but with a Wiseco piston instead of stock. HRC cam, stock carb (40 pilot 170 main) Yoshi exhaust and no airbox lid. Carb is clean as a whistle and gas is a week old.

Valves are shimmed at .006 and .011 and decompression is set to 75 psi while kicking @ wfo throttle. Cam timing is dead on. Idles great. I don't think it would kick over in one kick if it was off.

Tried swapping my ignition module and the coil pack off of my 05. No change. The decompression was set wrong before, was over 110 psi, no change after dropping it to 75. There is a brand new NGK plug in it. New flywheel key too as the old one was worn.

It's almost as if it won't run up to the end of the RPM's. No matter what throttle position, full, mid, whatever, it hits a certain point and it starts backfiring and shooting flames.

I think the stator in his bike is aftermarket. And I know how suspect they can be. This is where I keep coming back to as the problem. Am I on the right track?

Thank you

- Phil

'05 TRX450R - '05 CBR600RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Typo: 50 pilot not 40...

- Phil

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:10 AM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
Go to a bigger main.

04 450r
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke416ex View Post
Go to a bigger main.
Thank you for the reply, Duke. We tried 175, 180, and 190, no change. I don't think the main is the suspect though, as the problem happens even with mid throttle, like way before you open the main jet. It's like it hits a wall.

The bike also has a new Honda wiring harness too, all grounds are clean. The stator looks like one of the ones you get off eBay for 50 bucks. The wiring by the big plug looks suspect too. It feels like one of the connections has been repaired under the tape. I know from my banshee days that anything besides an OEM stator can be a problem.

After building an engine from the cases up, powdercoating the frame, new plastics, the stator is a drop in the bucket. Going to try that because it's suspect, and even if it isn't the problem, it's a known unreliable part. This is one of the few things he kept from the original engine that let go (bad crankshaft bearing ate cases up)

- Phil

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 10:50 PM
250EX Rider

Stator is bad. Replace the stator with a known good one. I have seen this issue on 2 differenct 05's.

Just a little more HP and I should be set.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Stator is bad. Replace the stator with a known good one. I have seen this issue on 2 differenct 05's.
Thanks for the reply, mailman. Ironically I found one of your threads from years ago, where you replaced the stator and the intake valve springs. We have been through the same testing you have in that thread, including pulling the head back off and double checking all of the valves for leaks with carb cleaner.

Stator and gaskets are on the way, will post back next week when they arrive

- Phil

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 08:56 AM
TRX90 Rider

I had the exact same symptoms on my 05 that you're having.

My bike had been sitting up for about 6yrs.
When I finally decided I needed to either ride it or sell it, I rebuilt the top end with new oem piston, rings, intake valves, and cam chain. I also cleaned out the carb, the tank, and put in fresh gas, and cranked her up. It cranked and idled fine. But when I rode it, the bike would reach about half throttle and start acting like it was hitting the rev limiter. So I tried the same things you have tried to fix yours, including replacing the stator. It still did the same thing. I'd warm it up and ride it, and at half throttle it would be like a fireworks show.

Mine ended up being weak intake valve springs causing the problem. I should have checked them when i replaced the intake valves, but I didn't. They were the original springs that had been in there for 13yrs...

After replacing the springs (intake and exhaust) the bike ran great!

I would try that, IF the new stator doesn't fix your problem.

Keep us posted on it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBplays01 View Post
I had the exact same symptoms on my 05 that you're having.

My bike had been sitting up for about 6yrs.
When I finally decided I needed to either ride it or sell it, I rebuilt the top end with new oem piston, rings, intake valves, and cam chain. I also cleaned out the carb, the tank, and put in fresh gas, and cranked her up. It cranked and idled fine. But when I rode it, the bike would reach about half throttle and start acting like it was hitting the rev limiter. So I tried the same things you have tried to fix yours, including replacing the stator. It still did the same thing. I'd warm it up and ride it, and at half throttle it would be like a fireworks show.

Mine ended up being weak intake valve springs causing the problem. I should have checked them when i replaced the intake valves, but I didn't. They were the original springs that had been in there for 13yrs...

After replacing the springs (intake and exhaust) the bike ran great!

I would try that, IF the new stator doesn't fix your problem.

Keep us posted on it.
JB thank you for the reply. This was a built cylinder head with aftermarket valves and dual valve springs with different retainers. We got it from an 04 I parted out with a bad crankshaft bearing. Compared to the stock springs, these feel pretty taught. I had the head apart to lap the valves back in before we put it together. Although I won't rule anything out at this point...

The new stator should be in this week. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Being that these are aftermarket dual valve springs, I would think one of them would actually break or collapse before they just became weak and no longer held good spring pressure. Then again, I've seen stranger things.

- Phil

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:21 PM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
Be careful lapping those valves in, certain valves have a coating on them and if you lap through that coating the valves won't last very long. That's been my experience at least.

04 450r
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke416ex View Post
Be careful lapping those valves in, certain valves have a coating on them and if you lap through that coating the valves won't last very long. That's been my experience at least.
I did not know that. Before we put the engine together, the intake sides were both leaking carb cleaner through the valve seats. The valves cleaned up with very little lapping, I guess we'll see in a matter of time if they last or not.

- Phil

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Update: new stator came in, put it in this afternoon, all better now. No more false limiter, no hiccuping, idles nicer too. Bike is 100% again. Thanks for everyone's input.
hoser likes this.

- Phil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page