5 angle valve job? - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By hawk-trx
  • 1 Post By gboezio

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

5 angle valve job?

Iím going to be getting my head ported and Iím wondering what the 5 angle or 3 angle valve job does, does it give me extra power, and is it worth it for $192
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 01:32 PM
450R Rider

192 is probably for the whole cutting, the standard 3 angle should go around 120-140$, so it's more like 50-70$.
I do it all the time on my heads, while I have no number and I doubt that someone have done back to back dyno pulls from a 3 to 5 angle valve job, it helps the flow around the seats on low lift and make the cam appear a tad bigger.

2008 TRX 450ER XC racing
FMSQ # 281
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:55 PM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
It helps air come out of the ports by giving the air more of a rounded surface to follow out of the head around the valve. Sharp edges or squarer angles are harder for the air to follow.

Who is doing the work and what is your goal would be questions to me. If it isn't a reputable shop who knows what they are doing neither is worth while. If you are just wanting a good pickup the 3 angle will probably be enough for you, if you are wanting every last .1 of hp then you need to ask if the 5 angle is worth the extra.

04 450r
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke416ex View Post
It helps air come out of the ports by giving the air more of a rounded surface to follow out of the head around the valve. Sharp edges or squarer angles are harder for the air to follow.

Who is doing the work and what is your goal would be questions to me. If it isn't a reputable shop who knows what they are doing neither is worth while. If you are just wanting a good pickup the 3 angle will probably be enough for you, if you are wanting every last .1 of hp then you need to ask if the 5 angle is worth the extra.
Ct racing, itís $350 for porting and an extra $192 for a 5 angle valve job, I want extra power but Iím not sure if the 5 angle will give me any more, and is it worth 190, and if it does give me more power is it enough where I will notice and be happy with spending the extra money, thx
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 10:17 PM
450R Veteran

Did you ask Allen?
I would bet he can give you some I site on "his" valve jobs

Plus you don't seem to care what the members from this site say anyway, you asked where to send your head in another topic and never replied to the people that answered. There are reasons the responses you got didn't include CT. The other shops make more power then ct and have a more proven track record.

One quote I remember from member dirteater when he did the first pull at ct on the dyno was, "**** is this one of those racers edge heads" that tells me that RE was leaps and bounds ahead of CT at that time.

Of your two choices I would have picked Ron Hamp but I would pick racers edge, Dynomite, OCP, dasa, Morgan, and sparks before Ron
ghott likes this.

Last edited by hawk-trx; 04-12-2018 at 10:26 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-trx View Post
Did you ask Allen?
I would bet he can give you some I site on "his" valve jobs

Plus you don't seem to care what the members from this site say anyway, you asked where to send your head in another topic and never replied to the people that answered. There are reasons the responses you got didn't include CT. The other shops make more power then ct and have a more proven track record.

One quote I remember from member dirteater when he did the first pull at ct on the dyno was, "**** is this one of those racers edge heads" that tells me that RE was leaps and bounds ahead of CT at that time.

Of your two choices I would have picked Ron Hamp but I would pick racers edge, Dynomite, OCP, dasa, Morgan, and sparks before Ron
He said racers edge was more expensive so thatís why I was going to pick ct, and I donít have a whole lot of a budget, and I value everyoneís advice thatís why Iím posting so much, what is your top choice for around the same budget, and who is Allen??
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

But back to the 5 angle valve job what do I think I should do hawk?

Yes-it goes fast
No-you can't ride it
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 02:32 AM
450R Veteran

Allen owns CT
On a budget I would call Matt at dynomite. He's a great guy and builds some awesome motors. I don't do valves nor do I have a dyno to test the results, my gut tells me there can't be much of an advantage to a 5 angle. I let racers edge do what ever they felt would perform the best with the porting they did, but RE didn't break down the price of porting and valve job.

A 3 angle should last longer due to the wider mateing surface but a shop can also cut a wide face and 4 thiner ones.

I would like to see flow numbers on a 3 and a 5. It might be out there on the net somewhere if you wanted to do some searching. Like has been said I doubt any shops have dynoed a build with both 3 and 5 angles but I'm sure they have flow tested both.

If you really want CT ask some questions, maybe he can show you some dyno numbers from his builds and give you an idea of what you're getting for you money.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 07:21 AM
450R Rider

I always google hot rod, car craft or chevy high performance for this stuff lol

Valve Angle - Make More Horsepower - Hot Rod Network
ghott likes this.

2008 TRX 450ER XC racing
FMSQ # 281
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Thank you guys really helps a lot

Yes-it goes fast
No-you can't ride it
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 12:18 AM
450R Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultcc00 View Post
Ct racing, itís $350 for porting and an extra $192 for a 5 angle valve job
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultcc00 View Post
He said racers edge was more expensive
Last time I checked RE charged $500 for porting and a valvejob. You're at $542 with CT. Did I miss something? If you're truly on the hunt for power, their entry level head will lay the pipe on any CT head.

To actually answer your question... the X number of angles on a valvejob is a gimmick. When you have the throat percentage set and where you want the valve face/seat set at, there is only so much room to put angles on the seat. The more angles you try to put in that distance, the shorter they're going to be. The length of the angles is more important than the amount. A head with a larger throat percentage, and a standard 60/45/30-33 can easily outflow a head that you tried to put say a 88/75/60/45/30-33 on. Are there other heads that that works well on, yeah. A TRX, not so much.

Just an OG
IG: @modern_race
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
Last time I checked RE charged $500 for porting and a valvejob. You're at $542 with CT. Did I miss something? If you're truly on the hunt for power, their entry level head will lay the pipe on any CT head.

To actually answer your question... the X number of angles on a valvejob is a gimmick. When you have the throat percentage set and where you want the valve face/seat set at, there is only so much room to put angles on the seat. The more angles you try to put in that distance, the shorter they're going to be. The length of the angles is more important than the amount. A head with a larger throat percentage, and a standard 60/45/30-33 can easily outflow a head that you tried to put say a 88/75/60/45/30-33 on. Are there other heads that that works well on, yeah. A TRX, not so much.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page