Strange Electrical Problem - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Strange Electrical Problem

I'm building an 05 for a friend of mine. Powdercoated frame, total engine build, etc. Lots of new parts.

At first it had no spark, I found that the wire going into the spark plug boot had corroded, so I cut back 1/4" and threaded the boot on. That problem is solved. Quad starts right up.

Randomly, I get shocked through the handlebars. Not badly, but enough that I notice and shut it down. Very strange issue.

It has a brand new OEM engine harness, new OEM kill switch, engine is redone with new cases, frame was powdercoated. I sanded down the tabs where the coil mounts to for a good ground.

It still happens if the kill switch is disconnected from the bike (first thing I tried) going to try disconnecting the key but I think I did and it made no difference.

Should I be sanding down any other spots? Like where the engine is bolted to the frame? Any other ground spots I'm missing?

Thanks guys

- Phil

'05 TRX450R - '05 CBR600RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 06:10 PM
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybuilt View Post
I'm building an 05 for a friend of mine. Powdercoated frame, total engine build, etc. Lots of new parts.

At first it had no spark, I found that the wire going into the spark plug boot had corroded, so I cut back 1/4" and threaded the boot on. That problem is solved. Quad starts right up.

Randomly, I get shocked through the handlebars. Not badly, but enough that I notice and shut it down. Very strange issue.

It has a brand new OEM engine harness, new OEM kill switch, engine is redone with new cases, frame was powdercoated. I sanded down the tabs where the coil mounts to for a good ground.

It still happens if the kill switch is disconnected from the bike (first thing I tried) going to try disconnecting the key but I think I did and it made no difference.

Should I be sanding down any other spots? Like where the engine is bolted to the frame? Any other ground spots I'm missing?

Thanks guys
Yeah.
Grounds wires never hurt either. I like lawn mower starting cables.
I'd be checking that tho. Imagine if you get wet and muddy. That shock will probably feel like a kick in the nuts for sure. I've seen a lot of people wire up tethers wrong or old ones shock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheerider11 View Post
Yeah.
Grounds wires never hurt either. I like lawn mower starting cables.
I'd be checking that tho. Imagine if you get wet and muddy. That shock will probably feel like a kick in the nuts for sure. I've seen a lot of people wire up tethers wrong or old ones shock

Jeez Rob you're everywhere haha

04/05's are kinda funny, besides the one that bolts to the top of the coil, there are no ground wires on this thing that bolt onto the frame. I think I'm going to shave inside all the engine mount spots and spacers for good measure.

I ended up finding the issue when I went back to try without the key, found two wires on the key switch harness were melted on the inside. Soft enough to where they weren't always stuck together but if you hit a bump the right way it would make contact. Easy fix.

- Phil

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 06:25 PM
250EX Rider

Yeah I get around. This is my buddies that I've been learning on.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheerider11 View Post
Yeah I get around. This is my buddies that I've been learning on.

Seriously dude, what don't you own or have access to? Lol

How do you like it compared to the YFZ? And what's done to it?

- Phil

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 10:18 AM
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybuilt View Post
Seriously dude, what don't you own or have access to? Lol

How do you like it compared to the YFZ? And what's done to it?
Lol I surround myself with options.
It's a cool bike for sure.
It doesn't compare to the yfz at all tho. His bike just has a full exhaust and uni filter.
So it's apple and oranges.
But for just that, it sure does pull really good. I can see throwing on a cam and a fci it'll probably really wake it up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page