2007 TRX450r Concerns from new owner - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

2007 TRX450r Concerns from new owner

I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this. I'm new to the sport and website. I've been riding motorcycles all my life. This is my first quad. I purchased a 07 for about $1500. The guy lied and said it only needed a strong battery thats why it wont fire up. He was able to start it,rode it in front of me,i went to ride it,hit the throttle and it cut off. we didn't let it warm up long and it was cold out. it fired up again but after that i agreed to buy it.
I was thinking it started so hey it cant be all that bad. I had it diagnosed by a home repair shop not certified but knowledgeable. the carbs appear to be ok, the starter clutch ok,starter is fine but wont be for long if i continue to hold it in until it decides to fire up.it will fire up but takes a while holding in the starter.i've ridden it off road and thought it was fine other than starting it.sometimes its not as long.
things noticed from diagnosis:
*front sprocket chain cover missing (also noticed jb well in the area like where a chain hit it)
*font caliper piston broke(i replaced it for $15)
*rear brake pads(were worn down to metal -i replaced them)
*front tires (replaced both for 100 pair dunlops off craigs)
*mechanic opened the top of the engine,cam looks good and timing is fine but the valves have no clearance (fee will be $110)
*radiator fan wired to run when switch turns on(mechanic said piece to fix that is about $70)
*while doing oil change i was told it only had about 1/3 of oil in it(oil was drained and after minutes it was black again)i was told that this is a sign of hard riding and gears could be getting worn.
i thought after getting a valve job i would be in the clear but after the oil change i was told that i may want to just sell it and break even.they say it was ridden hard from signs like this.
my question is if it fires right up after the valve job should i get rid of it?i guess this was a deal too good to be true. its not smoking but i was told that could be b/c the oil was so low. now that its full we will have to see.
what do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 PM
TRX90 Rider

think you need to get your money back.

sorry i cant give you more of an answer but thats how i feel.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

the person doing the diagnosis is not the one doing the valve job. apparently it involves removing the cam and they are not that advanced or have not tried that before
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmdc5 View Post
think you need to get your money back.

sorry i cant give you more of an answer but thats how i feel.
yeah but these things are as is. $1500 isnt worth hassling in court trying to prove that they said it was a battery issue.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 PM
TRX90 Rider

i hear ya man, honestly i would take it to a reputable shop and and just fork out the cash, or find somehere that can do a complete once over on it.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

yeah,tomorrow when its dropped off for the valve im going to ask him as well what should i do. the person that has it now said the bottom of the engine could be in bad shape if the oils that bad. the top apparently is clean.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM
300EX Rider

you paid 1500, i would be expecting to work on it. a decent one should go for 2500 all day long. if you wanted something thats 100% correct, you should go to the dealer then.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk rock kiel View Post
you paid 1500, i would be expecting to work on it. a decent one should go for 2500 all day long. if you wanted something thats 100% correct, you should go to the dealer then.
I don't agree with that. ive sold stuff dirt cheap that was fine for different reasons.maybe i had a surplus or just didn't want it or was to a friend. I was raised that a mans word is all he has. grant it im not dumb and others are crooks but it "could have" been a good deal, still might be. im just saying i thought it would just be a battery deal like he said. he had several quads so i know he's not new to the sport.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM
450R Rider

Send a message via MSN to oneill_1952
Strait up $1500 is a steal, i've seen beat motors go for more then that...you get what you pay for and it sounds to me that you got more then you payed.

2006 TRX450ER
Spending money I don't have, on a quad I barely ride, to impress people I don't even know...
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

oh yeah he did say the front brakes needed to be bled. that to was a lie. after i took the bald tires off i found the bad caliper.you cant really see these things at first glance. even the rear pads. i couldnt see that they were gone. but thats small stuff.only a tech or person use to owning quads would know hey,it could be a decompressor issue or valves or carb that could cause it to not fire up at an instant...who carries a pressure guage on them nowadays lol....just saying..no oil leaks on bottom,wasnt smoking,it did fire up,it did stop when rear brake applied and didnt squeal,sounded like a beast,he flew off riding it..thats what you check for on cars right, oh and kick the tires,radiator wasnt leaking coolant..just stuff joe shmo's like me can check
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill_1952 View Post
Strait up $1500 is a steal, i've seen beat motors go for more then that...you get what you pay for and it sounds to me that you got more then you payed.
the dang Kbb.com in my area listed it at like 3600. i knew it was low so maybe its my fault if it dont turn out well
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 PM
450R Veteran

You got a great deal IMO... What were you expecting to get for1500$?
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 PM
450r Dunner

if intakes are too tight to shim correctly it will make it hard to start, you may end up doing a valve job and come out smelling like a rose.

fix valves, set decomp, change oil again and run it

06 trx450r
2013 crf450r
2009 crf150r
08 trx400ex
08 trx250ex
2011 rzr S LE
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by prlandry View Post
You got a great deal IMO... What were you expecting to get for1500$?
a $80 battery from Walmart and roll out. im just concerned about the engine stuff im being told.black oil tore up bottom 1/2 of engine,jb weld..scaring me
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

plus im hoping that the valve job resolve the hard start problem. theyre saying it should.ive read a whole lot about hard starts in here. seem common.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page