Jetting issues / concerns - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
450R Veteran

I consider myself to be decent at jetting but I'm looking for some feedback to make me feel better.

Wife's bike:

05 450r
Stock bore 13.5:1 early HH piston
Stock carb
Mixxer head
Megacycle X3 cam
Ron Wood pipe

Before, it was a stock bike with HRC kit. Still had HRC jetting. Got the new build in, piston was a little used from when I had it in mine for not too long but perfect shape. With the new build, I put in that piston, the RW pipe, the cam and then had Mixxer port the head. So, started out with new jetting there. It was really weak and doggy. Kinda felt lean at first but richening made it worse. From 1/2 to full throttle, it was cutting out pretty bad, not really sputtering but cutting out. I went from 170 to 190 and it got worse, sputtering/cutting out in the top end.

Well, tonight, I went to a 160 (lowest I currently have) and it's much better, when the bike is in the mid rpms or higher, it revs out pretty clean, still with an occasional hiccup at 3/4 throttle. So, I think the 160 works well but I need to lean the needle a clip but with the Maier plastic and stock carb, I have been procrastinating. It still cuts out in the 3/4 range pretty hard from lower rpms; needle again.

Whats everyone's opinion on the 160 with the porting and stock carb? It just sounds lean to me. If it was an FCR I'd probably not be so worried but this stocker always wants a little more. I personally feel that a 155 would work well in it but man that's lean. The pilot is a little rich as well and I intend on fixing all of that tomorrow.

But, any opinions, feedback or anything? I have decided I really want to get an FCR on the bike, I hate this stock carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
450R Veteran

well, going riding today and was hoping to get some feedback by now but... we'll see how she runs... or dies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page