TRX450R Runs for 10 secs and then died after a fresh carb rebuild. - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hoser

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

TRX450R Runs for 10 secs and then died after a fresh carb rebuild.

Hey Guys new to the forum! I bought a 07 TRX450ER last week. I noticed the bike would bog and shuts off after a few mins of riding. I ordered the All Balls Carb Rebuild Kit and installed it this weekend. After we put the installed the Carb back into the bike. We started the bike and it ran for about 10 seconds and shut off. I am not sure if the made a mistake when rebuilding the carb or maybe it's not getting enough gas. All help is appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:33 PM
250EX Rider

Pull the Fuel Line off and turn it on for a couple of seconds to check how much fuel you have flowing, you wanna see a heavy flow of gasoline. If that's good then.... Next I would say check your Float to make sure it's adjusted properly It could be out of adjustment and causing the carburetor bowl from filling up all of the way and the engine is sucking the bowl dry before the bowl can re fill.

Another thing to look for is you might have to small of a Pilot Jet or a clogged pilot jet. Does it fire up after you have pumped the throttle a few times?

I'm going with the fact that it is probably just sucking the bowl dry before it can refill. Look up on YouTube or something on how to Adjust the float level, I Would explain it but it's kind of a difficult to type out and give you an idea of how to do so.

Build Break Rebuild Better
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:01 PM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
If you are not getting good flow out of the tank check the vent hose, or if it flows a bit and then stops and sucks air in. Would it crank back up after dying?

04 450r
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

@duke416ex Where is the Vent Hose? It started the first time for about 10 seconds and died and never started. I also remember that I didn't install the tank, only seated on the bike and connected the fuel line to the carb. The gas tank has less than a half a gallon of gas in it at the moment. I am going to try to put more gas in the tank and see if that does anything.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:31 AM
450R Rider

If it is a stock tank it is or should be on the gas cap. Either a line coming off it or just the tang sticking up in the middle of the cap. They can get clogged and not let gas out, need to breath like a gas can. Usually though after sitting a while they will at least refill the carb.

04 450r
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

I checked the gas tank line to make sure gas was flowing and it was fine. I loosened the drain screw on the carb and nothing came out. Seems like my problem has to deal with gas not going into the Carb. I am not sure if I did something wrong when I took apart the carb.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:50 AM
Making HP ainít free. . .

I hate to ask the obvious, but is your fuel c o c k turned on?
Ryan94Wright likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 09:26 AM
450R Rider

Did you take the fuel line off the carb from the tank to be sure fuel was coming out of the tank to that point? If it is making it there you probably need to take the bowl back off the cab and figure out if the float or needle is stuck.

04 450r
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 07:43 PM
250EX Rider

Pull the carb off then the bowl off and then take the float and needle out and use compressed air through where the float needle sits basically "reverse flow" air where the gasoline normally comes in. There is a screen in there that i'm certain it's clogged.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Yes it is. I think the issue is somewhere in the Carb. I will be taking it apart in the morning and checking the needle and Float. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help!!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:14 AM
250EX Rider

Hey real quick... Will it fire up when you slightly hold the throttle?... and then stall when you let off by any chance?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page