2004 Trx450r good quad? - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By duke416ex

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

2004 Trx450r good quad?

Im gonna be trading my 2003 trx400 for a 04 trx450r this weekend, are there any common problems with these? Im just looking for some more power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 AM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
They are good atv's. They have some crank issues but if they have been replaced then it is probably better. You can search the threads on here for the crank failures. I have never had a failure but I have rebuilt my motor a few times as preventative maintenance. A bearing in the kicker can go out some times and crack the side case, don't pump the throttle while kicking. Just look at the normal stuff for every bike and you will see any problems.
Ryan94Wright likes this.

04 450r
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:46 PM
250EX Rider

I'll give you some good detailed information, not because I'm trying to be better them anyone else or anything I just like to be as detailed as possible and educate any if I can.

The 04 and 05's are great for sure a nice jump in power from the 400ex, yes I would do it if I were you. The 450's are peppy and responsive and relatively fast but who cares bout top speed in my opinion unless you're trying to win drags and stuff lol. The 04 and 05 TRX's are not as fast as the 2nd Gen TRX450R's (06 and newer) but they're good bikes they're kick start only as well... Now the 06 ad up is electric with a kick start option any many changes to the engine.

Yes as Duke said, they have Crank Failure issues. Just change you oil after ever 3 or 4 big rides to watch out for metal shavings because usually before the crank fails you start finding silver "Glitter" in the oil filter changing the oil more often will give you more of a chance to catch the crank failure before it destroys the cases.

Now If you do have one that has a rebuilt bottom end ask who rebuilt, ask what crank crank and bearings were installed. it a lot of guys will say they rebuilt their selfs it which is sometimes scary to me personally because if you're inexperienced in working on the 04 and 05's and use Hot Rods bearings or install a new OEM bearing into a worn out left case then you'll have crank failure in no time. Hot Rods cranks are okay but their bearings are total garbage any one with experience will tell you that as well.

The 04 and 05's have an Updated crank design though that helps already prevent the crank from failing, when you buy a new OEM (or Hot Rods crank) they come with a collar that needs to be heated up to be pulled off and Heated to be re installed after the main collar is installed, supposedly what it does its keeps the crank from moving side to side by keeping that collar in place rather then moving thus causing the crank to "walk" to the right then they have an over sized seal that comes with if you decide to use the updated collar. It's optional.

Me in my opinion if you happen to get a crank failure at some point (if it's an un touched stock bottom end still) I just think of it as that is when you can build a better engine for more power and learn more about them.

Build Break Rebuild Better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page