Honda TRX 450R banner

What to look for

996 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Ryan94Wright 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, new to the forum. Had a 2008 Trx450er, but I sold it. Dumped some money into it. Looking to buy another Trx450r. Would like some pointers on what to look for and pricing.

#2 ·
I'll offer some suggestions. Obviously you want to look for a solid frame with no cracks or rust pitting. Solid engine with good compression. A leakdown test is always a good idea. Check all components and fitment of suspension, etc. Suspension should be tight and not in need of a rebuild. Decent chain/sprockets. Clutch should engage nicely with solid shifts. Plastics should be in good shape with no broken sections. Depending on all of the extras - and the market these days, a good race ready TRX should go for around 4500 on the low end to 6500 on the high end. Hope this helps!

#3 ·
Average price of a good condition TRX450R is about $3000.00 for a good condition 2006 or newer.

2004 and 2005 TRX450's you can find all day long for $1800.00 to 2500.00 But the Cranks are known to go on the 04 and 05's.

I would say look for one that has been Garage Kept and mostly stock. Believe it or not it's really common that a lot of people own these bikes and have barley ever ridden it since the bought it brand new and then they sell them because they don't ride it enough and most of the time they sit in their garage or shed where they are not hit by elements and look brand new still. I see it a lot where I live any how.

Check craigslist, check Facebook Market Place, eBay's local ad's etc.

#5 ·
@Michael Yep it's a very well known issue. It's extremely common guys will sell their bikes as soon as they see metal shavings in their oil filter and sell the quad and then who ever the lucky guy is that bys it gets to spend more to rebuild it. Good thing is you can build it to how you want and get more power. Bad news is a lot of times crank failure will destroy the cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.