Honda TRX 450R banner

Proud new owner ORcoast

657 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  hoser 
#1 ·
Noob here, recently upgraded from my 400ex to a 06 450er, so I'm leaving my old forum to come roll with the big dogs! Live in Coos Bay, OR 5 mins from the dunes, been riding them since I was 10 and highly recommend everyone try to ride here at least once!

Im loving this bike but it is killing me.....
For those who care I bought the bike off of craigslist, found A guy in Eugene Oregon (2 hrs away) Advertising "low hours, very clean, one previous owner, HRC kit, starter clutch recently replaced'. He Wanted $2800 for it so I made the drive to check it out. It looked very Clean, though the plastics pretty scratched it had almost no rust and no corrosion, which to us on the coast is unseen with all the salt and moisture. I had him start it for me and fired up with no odd sounds from the starter clutch and idled great. Said had been garaged and maintained and looked the part.
I asked him about the new starter clutch kit and he said his buddy has a shop and works on them all the time and has a stronger one than OE Honda part he puts in them. Long story short I went for it Figured it started up no problem and looked Great had only had non ethanol ever ran through it.

Got it, home took it out To the sand and road about 3 miles with my buddy And stopped to let the Bikes cool. Went to Start again, Heard a terrible crunch noise, And all you could hear Was the starter free spinning after that.
My buddy tows me back the a mile with a 6' tie rope sandblasting my face the whole time Until we could finally get him To a spot for enough traction with his tuned up banshee To allow me to bump start it. I Was pretty bummed out, Got it home again tooka off the starter, Bench tested it and no problem, Opened the case, and found the starter clutch was sheared and was free spinning.

I looked up after market clutch kits, Gaskets, etc. For days and finally just took it to Honda, explained to them my issue and said fix it. I asked The mechanic about possibly using a stronger aftermarket kit as this bike might have higher compression, And he told me all he usess is oe Honda so it was settled there.
2 days and $700 later I got the bike back. I had asked them to look it over as well, They had also adjusted the valves and clearances and done a lube srvc.

I will attach a picture of my bill from the dealer if anyone is curious about the starter clutch replacement parts/labor.

Anyways, That's all for my short story happy to be in a new forum!
If someone could shoot me a message directing me to the appropriate thread for my new fuel issue So I'm not Rattling off all my questions in the introduction thread that would be awesome.

Thanks all,
Cody

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
They tagged you pretty good on the gears and gasket, but your back in action. I thought their notes said, "Loose exhaust valves" which won't ever happen. After re-reading I see the valves were adjusted AND the exhaust(Header/Muffler) was loose. If you haven't adjusted valve lash on one of these heads before, and depending on how often you ride, get ready to have that done twice a year or so. Its not hard to do, just methodical. If you do have them adjusted by a shop again, I would ask to watch them and take notes. You'll never have to have someone adjust your valves again on any motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.