new guy! need head work - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By ghott

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

new guy! need head work

hey all, I'm from Kansas City, Mo. been riding for about 10 years now, and had my 06 450er for about 4 of them. i am new to any engine work but feel very confident in all bolt on things and electrical work.
I took a trip to the dunes a week ago and the bike didn't really perform as I hoped! prior to the trip I got my valves adjusted, put a new clutch in, cleaned the carb and adjusted little things. I took it for a test ride down the street and it overheated. I pulled the valve cover and the oil seemed watery. so I did some research on here and figured it was the head gasket. I borrowed a manual from my uncle and managed to put a new head gasket in with correct timing and without loosing any valve shims. the bike didn't seem to fire right up or run as should. (turns over a lot before hitting, fires multiple times before fully idling, and doesn't want to start when hot.) so I had my uncle look at it because he has way more experience with engines and 450s in general. He told me the valves were too tight, one intake in particular. I didn't have time to re-shim or take it anywhere to get done. so I took it with tight valves. the first day it started to make a "tick" sound. later that night the "tick" was more of a "knock". when I noticed it was louder I let it sit for about 30 min. to cool before I went back to the site. on my ride back it made the "tick/knock" sound and then all of a sudden quit. (like it was flooded) so I'm assuming that my intake valves were too tight and hit the top of the piston, bending one enough to not fully close. Moral of the story is I think I need new valves. I would like to ship the head somewhere to have 4 new valves installed with new springs too just so I don't have to do this again anytime soon. any recommendations about who to send it to? or what you guys think may have happened?
thanks in advance, Im excited to start using the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:29 AM
450R Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to duke416ex
You are probably going to have to take it apart to be sure. Unless the timing was bad the valve should not have been hitting, of course if the timing chain is old and worn it could have jumped time. I would worry some about the crank if it has a lot of hours on it and hasn't been rebuilt since 06. There are a lot of good shops that do porting and head work just be prepared for $1k or so for the port and valve job. Does it still kick over easy? Best route is take it apart and see what you have and go from there.

04 450r
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke416ex View Post
You are probably going to have to take it apart to be sure. Unless the timing was bad the valve should not have been hitting, of course if the timing chain is old and worn it could have jumped time. I would worry some about the crank if it has a lot of hours on it and hasn't been rebuilt since 06. There are a lot of good shops that do porting and head work just be prepared for $1k or so for the port and valve job. Does it still kick over easy? Best route is take it apart and see what you have and go from there.
I know the timing was correct because I had to re-do it 3 times before I got it all lined up as it should be. it has been rebuilt 4 years ago so I would doubt its the crank. good thought! it does turn over smooth and like usual. 1k seems like too much right now! so ill probably skip the port and just do the valves. will most machine shops do head work? might be a dumb question but I'm new to engine work. I plan on tearing into it in the next week. thanks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 06:34 AM
250EX Rider

Sounds to me that when you re assembled the head that you mixed up all of your Valve Shims. I have seen this where a guy installed a shim that was to small on one of the intakes and the him shatters and mushrooms out the tip of the valve stem. If this is the case ou might want to remove the valve cover, Cam Tower and Buckets and check out all of your shims to make sure non were shattered.

I would check the crank anyways! It's easy. Pull the Stator Cover off and push and pull on the Flywheel and see if it moves and makes "Clunk" sound when you're doing so. You do not wanna see your crank move at all from side to side.

I would gladly have you ship the head to me if you're interested... I would completely Port the head and put in stainless Steel Valves, New Valve Guide Seals, and Re Surface the head for 450.00 with receipts.

Last edited by Ryan94Wright; 12-27-2018 at 07:49 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 11:09 AM
That One Mod

Send a message via AIM to ghott Send a message via MSN to ghott
I highly recommend Racers Edge AZ for any sort of head work...porting, valves, valve job, etc. They have all the tools to do it correctly and consistently...CNC, Newen Contour for valve jobs, flow bench, dyno etc. Awesome customer service and quick turnaround time as well. Racers Edge AZ - Tucson, Arizona Motorcycle, ATV, Rhino Services
jay3216 and Ryan94Wright like this.

Gary
My 04/05 Honda TRX450R Site

(^^^TRX450R tech articles, dyno testing, pics, vids, and more)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:14 AM
250EX Rider

lol They are the ones that Do all my valve seats and Re Surfacing ha. But yes they do great work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page