Going to Glamis Feb 11-18 (or there abouts) - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
CJM
Truck Yea

Going to Glamis Feb 11-18 (or there abouts)

So yea finally making the trip. Our shipper is taking the stuff out there and we can go anytime during that week or so. Renting an rv/trailer out there and probably a truck to get back and forth to town. Probably going from sunday to saturday but its up in the air for now

Whats the weather like around this time of year? I checked online it historically says about 70-75F high and about 45-50F low? So Im def bringing some under armor or similar with me.

How do I buy a permit before I go?

Just trying to get of needed items. So far I have the following:

-sandstar rear v paddles
-basic tools in my pack
-tow strap
-extra pairs of riding socks
-larger assortment of tools incase of breakdown/whatever
-whip antenna (maybe a fancy lighted one idk)
-jug of oil
-2-3 qts trans fluid
-plug
-some select jets just incase (although from what the trip organizer says it should be fairly close to where we are in NJ)
-camelback and pack
-bike pump
-5 gal gas can
-obviously clothes, personals, etc.
-gps of somes sort? Use my phone?

Anything else i really need to bring or should get? I planned on just running my maxxis rzr2's on the front, i cant really justify buying front paddles for this one trip as we dont need them here. Already have the v paddles tho.

Also trying to get a GOOD led lightbar. Ive tried several cheaper end ones off ebay with mixed results. Really looking into the baja designs S8 right now

Anything Im missing?

-2004 450R. Far From Stock.. Sold, crank was going
-2006 450R. New WHIP..
-Do it right the first time, and you wont have a problem later. Being cheap or taking the easy way out only makes matters worse later.
-Your Backyard Mechanic Extraordinaire: Responsible for bringing you redneck, ingenious and often interesting ways how to fix things.
-You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the H*ll happened. Captain Phil Harris

Last edited by CJM; 11-19-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:59 AM
trx450r.org Moderator

Some day I'll get out there.

Too bad I wasn't on the route, i'd give you my front dune tires to use.

Have a great time!

~ Gumby ~
WI Trail Patrol #1224
WI DNR ATV Safety Instructor

2006 450ER
1984 ATC110
1978 CB750K
1978 Express 50
No Wing...No prayer

Quote:
..go by the pants dyno..thats usually all that matters.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Making HP ainít free. . .

Tire plugs and definitely an air compressor. I keep plugs and the little C02 cartridges on me when I ride, I can’t tell ya how many times I’ve used them. And an air compressor is pretty important to have at camp, I built one into my truck, but I use it every time I go on a ride, and with the low pressures you use at the dunes it’s not uncommon to debead a tire.

A small can of extra fuel in a safe fuel rated container to put in your pack is a good idea too, I’ve ran out several times at the dunes, and when it’s a new area and you get lost TS nice to know you have a little extra if you need it.

Bring a couple different sprockets, sand changes everything, and even from day to day you may want to change gearing. One time in OK at little Sahara I was really not happy with my quad and I ended up throwing a 13 tooth sprocket on the front and it was night and day.

Those are probably the big things, but when I go I bring a lot of tools and backup parts. It just stinks to be that far away and have a problem or breakdown and not have the tools or parts with to fix your bike. I’ll try to think of any other critical things to remember.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
CJM
Truck Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Some day I'll get out there.

Too bad I wasn't on the route, i'd give you my front dune tires to use.

Have a great time!
Shame, were not driving ourselves..way to far and long lol

Thanks for the list hoser. Im not sure what I could carry a small container of gas in. We usually just use a small iced tea container (widemouth ones) from the local 7-11 or similar. I didnt think of an air comp as well, I have a small 12v one that will inflate truck tires so that should work. Ill also bring sprockets, the old chain (just changed it), Im not sure what other back up parts Id really need though. I have everything else of course.

Gonna hafta get together with the gang who is renting the trailer with me and see what else we need supply wise-whatever we can fit on the truck we can bring if we want free of charge.

-2006 450R. New WHIP..
-Do it right the first time, and you wont have a problem later. Being cheap or taking the easy way out only makes matters worse later.
-Your Backyard Mechanic Extraordinaire: Responsible for bringing you redneck, ingenious and often interesting ways how to fix things.
-You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the H*ll happened. Captain Phil Harris
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
CJM
Truck Yea

so trips on, quads were loaded and shipped last week.

Now, big question is my friend wants to go to the duner diner and we are at pad 2 over by gecko road it seems. think the 450 will make it on a tank? I figure it seems to be about 35-40 miles one way and considering the sand, probably get tops 15-20mpg on a good day if I dont goose it. I usually can ride all day at the sand pits by me on a 1/2 tank but we take breaks and sometimes the riding is a bit slower.

We called the diner and they said there is a gas station 13 miles from them. So, figure 3.2 gallons w/reserve I probably will waste gas going to get more gas but its worth it. Thinking I shoulda bought a 1 gallon can or something for my 6 pack rack...

Or is there a better way to go that wont involve so much mileage? Anyone done this ride before?

-2006 450R. New WHIP..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page