Best Trails in the US? - Page 3 - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 05:26 PM
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Thanks for all the input guys.

Our trip is booked for August 26-30 for Hatfield McCoy. We are staying at Ashland Resort (atvresort.com). I'm pretty pumped.
Gonna do this later this year, probably sept-oct. We've been to Pinnacle a few times and its very sport-atv friendly. Nice and wide, since they get a lot of SxS action, so great for fast riding,, maps are nice and really only the black trails are rocky/ rutted

'07 trx450er - dasa intake/exhaust. 45 slow 162 main. '06 HRC cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
trx450r.org Moderator

Good to know, thanks!

Can't wait to go.

~ Gumby ~
WI Trail Patrol #1224
WI DNR ATV Safety Instructor

2006 450ER
1984 ATC110
1978 CB750K
1978 Express 50
No Wing...No prayer

Quote:
..go by the pants dyno..thats usually all that matters.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 10:16 AM
250EX Rider

As Rpm said the maps are great...it's very hard to get lost at Hatfield. The southern most trails are the more tame trails that they have...if we go and are looking for a good challenge bear wallow and rock house have some very difficult trails to do on a 2 wheel drive quad. We also like to stop by coal river or ivy branch on our way home (its on the way back to columbus) they are the smaller areas but still fun.

You said you were thinking about swinging by wayne nat forest on your way....it is the exact opposite of Hatfield. We had never been until this summer but noticed a couple things. The maps are ok but the marking on the trails suck....being that we had never been... trying to follow the maps got us turned around the wrong direction 2-3 times provided we always soon learned where we were and made our way it was not as well marked as WV or TN, it reminded me of riding in MI. Also the trails are more narrow, not a problem for a 50 inch wide quad but not nearly as wide as Hatfield. A razr 900/1000 would have no chance of riding there. The trails are also extremely well maintained, to the point where a large number of them are covered in gravel...its nice because no ruts or mud but kinda made it not as interesting.

Can't wait for us to plan a trip there we try to go 4-5 times a year at least.

Red 05 450r
Early model hrc cam,Rossier full system,13.5:1 JE piston, Demon Mx Port, +1 exhaust valves, 42.5 fcr, Dasa intake,G force axle, ITP Turf Tamers on douglas beadlocks out back, razr mx on hiper front,tusk nerfs, FourWerk carbon hood,Precision Clamps,Quadtech hump seat,+2.5 Atv fourplay a arms, Jb superlink rear,stainless lines, custom +2 anti-vibe stem, full motowoz....hours of my time

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
trx450r.org Moderator

Thanks for the tip! I can't wait to go.

~ Gumby ~
WI Trail Patrol #1224

2006 450ER
1984 ATC110
1978 CB750K
1978 Express 50
No Wing...No prayer

Quote:
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 12:14 PM
300EX Rider

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I can't wait to go.
How was the trip to Hatfield McCoy? It's been a few months and we want to make sure you aren't stuck in the wilderness trying to survive on twigs and berries.

Jokes aside it would be cool if after each adventure you could post back here and leave some feedback. And that goes for anyone who posts about a trip they are excited to go on.

Needless to say, I am planning on hitting up Hatfield for the first time in the summer.

Sent from my HTC using tapatalk.

04' Black/Red
HRC Kit
12.5:1 JE Piston
Rossier Full System
K&N w/Outerwears
BARE Gusseted Frame
+2.25 Houser Slicast Arms
Tusk Adjustable Width Axle
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 08:21 AM
TRX90 Rider

Hatfields in WV. is a great choice. Also, if your up for traveling distances, Durhamtown Plantation in Union, Point Georgia is amazing. Best place too ride on the east coast. 150 miles of trails, 7 mototcross tracks through out the park, and tons of extras.

McKinney Racing 617
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 09:34 AM
300EX Rider

If Hatfield is open in the winter and anyone is planning on going, keep a look out for Gumby.

Brief description would be a bearded mountain man wearing ragged riding gear and probably some form of wild game pelts for warmth. He probably doesn't smell too good either.

Has anyone heard from him recently?

I guess he could be trying to pull off the greatest riding trip imaginable by traveling non-stop to all the places posted in this thread. That would be absolutely insane!

04' Black/Red
HRC Kit
Rossier Full System
K&N w/Outerwears
BARE Gusseted Frame
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
trx450r.org Moderator

Great idea! Sorry for my absence! It's been a crazy fall and start of winter. I'm getting into snowmobile mode.

I don't mind commenting on it. I'll try to summarize it as best I can.

We stayed at Ashland resort (atvresort.com) in one of their 4 man cabins. It was a great resort with everything you needed and was right on the Indian Ridge system. We met some great neighbors and the resort was very accommodating. I called ahead and asked some questions. The owner referred me to a local guy who has ridden the trail system over 300 times with his wife. I got his phone number and called him. He gave me some trails to avoid and some shortcuts. It was great to have the inside scoop!

Day 1: We got to the resort at about 11am. The riding day didn't last real long. We decided to ride South to the Pocahontas trail and not listen to the shortcut that my local reference gave me. We rode about 6 miles and blew out a sidewall on one of the Outlanders. The trail was really rocky with sharp edges. By the time we got back to the resort to get a spare tire, back to the Outlander and back to the resort again, it was dark. After driving 14 hours, we weren't that disappointed. We cracked a few cold ones around the fire and met the neighbors.

Day 2: We decided to try to ride Pocahontas again and planned a trip to Bramwell. The short cut was amazing and allowed us to actually ride! We rode to Bramwell and met up with the neighbors from the resort (Michigan folk). The views were awesome and the trails were pretty great. Taking the switchbacks up and down the mountains were awesome! Trails were mostly dirt and at most, 4" rocks. Downtown Bramwell has a cool little Main Street with tourist shops and a ice cream parlor. We had lunch there (first time I ever had coleslaw on a chili dog!) and rode back to the resort. All in all, we rode for the better part of 10 hours and put on 65 miles. It was weird considering that in Wisconsin, 10 hours of riding equals about 150+ miles.

Day 3: Day three consisted of a plan to ride North into the Pinnacle Creek System. Again, the local gave me a shortcut to avoid a crappy trail. It worked out well and we were on our way. The trail was really rocky and was beating us up pretty bad. After about 15 miles, one of the 450's in our group was having clutch troubles and wasn't participating nicely so he turned back with one of the other guys. A few more miles up the trail, one of the Polaris 4x4's was starting to throw a belt so two more people turned around. We ended up 35 miles up the trail (in 4 hours) when we all decided that we should head back. There was a different trail back so we took that. One of the highlights was watching the Polaris have to be pulled back after the belt blew! We ended up with about 70 miles in total for the day.

Day 4: We were planning on leaving later in the day so I hopped on my Outlander early in the morning and explored the Indian Ridge system since the resort was right in the middle of it. I aimed for the black diamond trails since I was now on a 4x4 and my wife's quad so I wasn't afraid to beat on it! haha! Climbing some of those rock ledges was crazy and a lot of fun! There were a lot of sheer cliffs to climb as we made our way to the highest point in the Indian Ridge system. At the top to our surprise was a huge mud hole. We played in that for a while and explored the top of the mountain. We made it short and sweet (about 3 hours) and headed back to load up.

All in all, it was great to check it off my bucket list, but I don't think I'll be back. When I ride, I like to put on miles. We found ourselves repeating the same trails in the Pocahontas system quite a bit. The trails were rough, as expected, but really wore us out. The faster you rode, the smoother things were but it also wore you out quicker. Having the local guide really helped out and saved us some headaches.

If anyone is thinking about going, let me know and I'll answer as best I can. It's snowmobile season so hit me up on PM for the best results! I'm thinking we should start a section in the forum for trail rides like this.

Anyway, pics are below. Enjoy

Loaded and ready to head out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150825_193015877_HDR.jpg (383.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150827_164905881.jpg (139.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150828_123931789.jpg (176.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150828_123945061_HDR.jpg (160.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150828_164921190_HDR.jpg (365.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150828_171949786_HDR.jpg (206.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150829_135346544.jpg (445.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150829_153923598.jpg (134.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150828_172009509_HDR.jpg (124.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150829_131109067.jpg (197.0 KB, 7 views)

~ Gumby ~
WI Trail Patrol #1224

2006 450ER
1984 ATC110
1978 CB750K
1978 Express 50
No Wing...No prayer

Quote:
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 08:48 PM
CJM
Truck Yea

Looks like a fun time. Im trying to make sure and go to hatfield this spring. THis summer Im gonna see if I can go to NH for ride the wilds.

-2004 450R. Far From Stock.. Sold, crank was going
-2006 450R. New WHIP..
-Do it right the first time, and you wont have a problem later. Being cheap or taking the easy way out only makes matters worse later.
-Your Backyard Mechanic Extraordinaire: Responsible for bringing you redneck, ingenious and often interesting ways how to fix things.
-You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the H*ll happened. Captain Phil Harris
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
trx450r.org Moderator

I plan on also doing a write up on my last trip. 2 weeks after Hatfield, I took a three day trip into and around the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It was by far the best trip of my life.

~ Gumby ~
WI Trail Patrol #1224

2006 450ER
1984 ATC110
1978 CB750K
1978 Express 50
No Wing...No prayer

Quote:
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:06 AM
300EX Rider

Quote:
I plan on also doing a write up on my last trip. 2 weeks after Hatfield, I took a three day trip into and around the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It was by far the best trip of my life.
Very interested in the U.P! Been riding the mitten all my life but have never been up that far.

I prefer the faster, sandy trails that Michigan offers as opposed to the slower, rocky terrain of other places.

I enjoy technical sections as much as the next guy but for the most part I like FAST! Looking forward to your write-up.

04' Black/Red
HRC Kit
Rossier Full System
K&N w/Outerwears
BARE Gusseted Frame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page