2004 TRX450r Complete build "fulfilling a dream" - Page 4 - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 10:21 PM
TRX90 Rider

Beautiful quad! Very nice write up too. Always enjoy reading about projects!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:14 PM
TRX90 Rider

Beautiful quad. I'm hoping I can get mine to look half as nice in the future

Stay frosty
post #48 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOR124 View Post
Beautiful quad! Very nice write up too. Always enjoy reading about projects!
Thanks! I wasn't sure if anyone would take the time to read it or not so I appreciate the kudos

Quote:
Originally Posted by spewitt View Post
Beautiful quad. I'm hoping I can get mine to look half as nice in the future

Stay frosty
Thanks man. Lots of patience, time, and financial sacrifice will get you wherever you want to go

On a side note. Have only had the opportunity to ride it in my yard since getting it back from the builder. I still have no idea what this thing has but I can say MY GOD is it a COMPLETELY different bike than when I started. Im going to have respect this thing thats for sure I can already tell its an animal and I haven't even hit 3rd yet where my cam is supposed to shine. I can't wait! Hope weather permits riding it this coming weekend. (fingers crossed)

2004 trx450r

post #49 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 11:25 PM
450R Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmxguru View Post
Thanks! I wasn't sure if anyone would take the time to read it or not so I appreciate the kudos

Thanks man. Lots of patience, time, and financial sacrifice will get you wherever you want to go

On a side note. Have only had the opportunity to ride it in my yard since getting it back from the builder. I still have no idea what this thing has but I can say MY GOD is it a COMPLETELY different bike than when I started. Im going to have respect this thing thats for sure I can already tell its an animal and I haven't even hit 3rd yet where my cam is supposed to shine. I can't wait! Hope weather permits riding it this coming weekend. (fingers crossed)
Hey bud did you have it dynoed & just curios what kind of break-in procedure did they use ? Thx
post #50 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 11:56 PM
300EX Rider

Love a good quality build , nice bike for sure .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 trx450er
FCI intake
DASA classic exhaust
Stage 2 hotcam
HC piston
Green wire mod
Lowered 2 inches al the way around
PRO TAPER fatty bars
post #51 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
Hey bud did you have it dynoed & just curios what kind of break-in procedure did they use ? Thx
Have not had it on the dyno. Probably wont til spring. Not worth the $260 the guys around here charge to do it right before the winter in somewhat chilly weather. They did multiple heat cycles idling for 2-2 1/2 minutes with the radiator cap off and allowing it to cool to the touch. Then did a couple short rides running through the gears doing a moderate acceleration with hard deceleration. After than he turned it over to me and said to put somewhere between 45mins to an hour on it and do another oil change. Just ran it yesterday for about 40 minutes putting it through its paces but only just sneaking into 4th gear. GOBS of power. I absolutely love this thing. Have a few things I need to adjust and button up on it and I'm going to do the oil change on it today. Super pumped on the thing though I do need to do some jetting still though. Lots of popping on hard deceleration so any suggestions would be cool. Running a 220 main 45 leak in a 42.5mm FCR in 60 degree weather at an elevation of 1,000 ft. Might start by adjusting air screw a bit and maybe move the clip on the needle one position but let me know if anyone has any thoughts. Ill post a vid later today when I get home from work

2004 trx450r
post #52 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 05:38 AM
450R Veteran

Good looking build, very nice! Motor and suspension at the same time will make it worlds different.

Did Matt recommend the 220 main? Sounds huge but could be close with the 04/05 fci
What pilot are you running?
Also double check the headed crush gasket and the o-ring on the air screw, both could be the cause of your decel popping
post #53 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 01:46 PM
Cane Rider!

Quote:
Then its on to the next project/toy :) I plan on having 2 complete gems by the time this is all said and done

^^ This got my attention. Should have done this one first. Keep us posted.
post #54 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-trx View Post
Good looking build, very nice! Motor and suspension at the same time will make it worlds different.

Did Matt recommend the 220 main? Sounds huge but could be close with the 04/05 fci
What pilot are you running?
Also double check the headed crush gasket and the o-ring on the air screw, both could be the cause of your decel popping
He was the one who actually put the 220 main in when he bored my carb. I can't remember what he told me he put in for the pilot ill have to reach out to him and see if he remembers. Ill check that o-ring and crush gasket on the air screw though when I fiddle with it more this weekend. Thanks for giving some direction to look. I think thats why he went with the bigger main because of the 04/05 fci. Ive heard they are a fickle mistress to jet with my intake but I don't know the legitimacy of that. Didn't think I could go with an '06 version on an 04/05 engine/frame set up. I expected the differentiation to be their ability to be installed without alterations. Thanks for the compliments on the build I based every decision I made off of extensive research on this site so I have all the contributors on here to thank :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrown Stones View Post
^^ This got my attention. Should have done this one first. Keep us posted.
That was the plan!! I put about $3500 into it right at the beginning but I had nothing to ride while I was building it so I bought a used '04 trx450r so Id have something to play on while I built my baby. Then the weirdest thing happened. I fell in love with the 450r and it slowly but surely became my baby haha So i guess Ill have 2 when all is said and done but I couldn't help myself after I wadded up my 450 on the MX track and started buying parts it just started escalating quick. Pretty soon I went from fixing what I broke with upgraded parts to basically what you see in this thread. Cant wait til both are done!! Ive ridden the 250r about 5 times and its a totally different kind of experience. It will be a beautiful day when i show up at the track/trail with both of them on the trailer for the weekend

2004 trx450r
post #55 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 03:14 AM
450R Veteran

The only thing I didn't like about your build was your chain. lol

I had a 04/05 FCI for one dyno tune and one trip to sand mt. It was good on the dyno but only good a WOT at sand mt. I went to the dasa and was much happier. Very smooth a/f line and more overall power but 1/2 hp less at peak.
I went and looked at my dyno sheets I had a 210 in mine and was slightly lean, I remember we tried 3 different needles with the FCI and never got it perfect. Garett suggested a 06 intake or he offered to streach mine but the dasa was just to easy to tune.

Check your exhaust, sometimes when you crush the gasket then do heat cycles it can come loose and suck in cold air on decel causing the pop. Or the o ring on the af screw.

Also when you check your exhaust you might want to see if the crush gasket is interfering with the airflow, the oem gaskets will often flatten out enough to be smaller then your newly ported exhaust port.
post #56 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Cane Rider!

Quote:
Ive ridden the 250r about 5 times and its a totally different kind of experience. It will be a beautiful day when i show up at the track/trail with both of them on the trailer for the weekend

You got that right. Enjoy.
post #57 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 03:22 PM
450R Veteran

Very nice! I love a good 04/05 build!

2004 Honda TRX450R
1997 Honda CR500R
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
post #58 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

So I never did follow up with a good update for anyone that cared on how it rides or anything else so I figured Id update this thread with some more photos and say that I am VERY satisfied with the quad overall and can't wait to get the 250r done. Update on the 250r BTW** as I am posting this my engine is currently in its final stages at BDT motorsports and will be a Sphynx 363r. Look forward to updating this thread with the 363r pics as it gets finished up. In the meantime...

This was my first trail ride on it last fall

Dirty Girl at the car wash

All cleaned up and looking fresh again

First MX ride of the year this past weekend

any and all feedback is always welcome. Thank god BRAAAP season is here for us midwest guys
MatttBPDX likes this.

2004 trx450r
post #59 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

and one last pic of the 250r before I stripped her down to frame. Will not look even remotely the same when done

2004 trx450r
post #60 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:44 AM
TRX90 Rider

Well **** I am jelly lol
fmxguru likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page