Black on red - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

Black on red

O.E. fenders couldn't take any more open trailer trips, aftermarket red isn't even close to o.e. red, wanting to retain a factory appearance, cut black fenders look like they belong there. Almost lol. I dig it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-10-20-20-37-17.jpg (240.6 KB, 60 views)

Jay
05 450r
JE 12.5:1 PRO series 3 ring piston
ported head
stage 2 hotcam
DASA classic exhaust
Fuel Customs intake
Dynatek cdi
175 main jet
50 pilot jet
HRC needle
pilot screw 2 3/4 turns out
Precision anti-vibe clamps
CST ambush
Skat trak 8 paddle extremes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:44 PM
TRX90 Rider

Have seen this done once before, for sure looks like it belongs! Good lookin' bike ya got there!
jay3216 likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:08 AM
Making HP ainít free. . .

Agreed, bike looks good. Fenders wouldn’t work for the type of riding I mainly do, but I bet they’re great in the dunes!
jay3216 and CJM like this.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:14 AM
CJM
Truck Yea

nice. Never seen a set up like that. I could see it working in the dunes like hoser said, but anywhere else you would get a face full of dirt/mud.

Im interested in how you have the lights mounted under the hood.
jay3216 likes this.

-2004 450R. Far From Stock.. Sold, crank was going
-2006 450R. New WHIP..
-Do it right the first time, and you wont have a problem later. Being cheap or taking the easy way out only makes matters worse later.
-Your Backyard Mechanic Extraordinaire: Responsible for bringing you redneck, ingenious and often interesting ways how to fix things.
-You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the H*ll happened. Captain Phil Harris
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

I haven't ridden in the dirt or mud yet but the stock fenders didn't seem to do much for keeping mud slinging back at me lol. I'm not a fan of cut fenders either but I had to do something, last dune trip had 45 mph side winds on the way back home and it folded my fenders over big time. They weren't up for another trailer ride.
I made these aluminum angle brackets, bought light bar clamps and originally mounted them here, but the clamps just don't squeeze tight enough to the frame tube, kept breaking clamps(not really made to support in this way). So I bought an aftermarket hood, cut notches in it, stood the angle brackets upright and bolted them to the headlight mounting bracket holes with longer bolts. Couldn't bring myself to cut stock hood lol. I wasn't sure if one 6mm bolt was capable of holding it tight but 2 years later all is well. I'll snap a few pics tonight, the bracket just barely pokes out of the hood. I plan to put a light bar there later but these rigids are plenty bright.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lights.jpg (251.9 KB, 33 views)

Jay
05 450r
ported head
stage 2 hotcam
DASA classic exhaust
Fuel Customs intake
Dynatek cdi
175 main jet
50 pilot jet
HRC needle
CST ambush

Last edited by jay3216; 03-22-2019 at 09:37 AM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:43 AM

I had to pull a pontoon out to the West Coast a while back so I had to throw two quads and a dirtbike on the bed of my truck on a platform instead of in a trailer. I had one brand new front fender crack on the way out from all of the wind. On the way back I tied all the fenders with tie wire and they didn’t budge the whole way back home. If I ever have to pull quads on the back of my truck or an open trailer again I’m going to do that again to prevent any problems.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

Sucks to tear up plastic on the highway instead of in the woods!

Jay
05 450r
ported head
stage 2 hotcam
DASA classic exhaust
Fuel Customs intake
Dynatek cdi
175 main jet
50 pilot jet
HRC needle
CST ambush
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:19 PM
Cane Rider!

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

@CJM-Aluminum brackets, now black, upright and bolted to headlamp mounting (frame) bracket. Black plastic cap covering nut/threads. Not as clean as I'd hoped but easily removed for woods/trail riding, if need be. They don't move at all so I haven't needed to take them off. And it's ready for a light bar when I'm ready to upgrade. Not really an ideal solution but I'm cheap lol, brackets could be a little longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190322_115256_1553274122861.jpg (116.6 KB, 34 views)

Jay
05 450r
ported head
stage 2 hotcam
DASA classic exhaust
Fuel Customs intake
Dynatek cdi
175 main jet
50 pilot jet
HRC needle
CST ambush

Last edited by jay3216; 03-22-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
250EX Rider

These are the brackets. I contoured the little dogleg square part to sit flush and help keep it from rotating on top of the o.e. headlamp bracket-to-frame mount(to the right of the ignition box/fuse holder in 2nd pic), longer 6mm bolt with locking serrated flange and a dab of loctite. They stay put.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 131118_0003.jpg (94.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 131114_0009.jpg (101.9 KB, 19 views)

Jay
05 450r
ported head
stage 2 hotcam
DASA classic exhaust
Fuel Customs intake
Dynatek cdi
175 main jet
50 pilot jet
HRC needle
CST ambush

Last edited by jay3216; 03-22-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:38 PM
CJM
Truck Yea

@jay

Nice, I like the way its setup. I need to figure out a way to mount my lightbar better to my bike. I bolted it to the bumper but the crossbars cut some of my light and the aluminum bar stock i used cracked on the last trip. Thank god for 1/2" wide zipe ties the local store had! I may just chuck the stock light. But I like having that option over an LED bar. I wish there was still a plethora of aftermarket parts, but with the SxS around seems every company basically stopped making stuff for sport atv's

Ive been tying to figure out a way to support the fenders better without making them look ugly. For sure the little bracket that supports them sucks and doesnt do much. I almost want to bent a piece of metal where the mount goes and make it go out to the edge of the fender then rivet it on.

The stock hood is like 20 bucks believe it or not. I trash them every so often cause the supports that clip in on the ends tend to break after awhile.
jay3216 likes this.

-2006 450R. New WHIP..
-Do it right the first time, and you wont have a problem later. Being cheap or taking the easy way out only makes matters worse later.
-Your Backyard Mechanic Extraordinaire: Responsible for bringing you redneck, ingenious and often interesting ways how to fix things.
-You can watch things happen, you can make things happen, or you can wonder what the H*ll happened. Captain Phil Harris

Last edited by CJM; 03-22-2019 at 05:48 PM.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:16 PM
TRX90 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3216 View Post
@CJM-Aluminum brackets, now black, upright and bolted to headlamp mounting (frame) bracket. Black plastic cap covering nut/threads. Not as clean as I'd hoped but easily removed for woods/trail riding, if need be. They don't move at all so I haven't needed to take them off. And it's ready for a light bar when I'm ready to upgrade. Not really an ideal solution but I'm cheap lol, brackets could be a little longer.
. How good are those rigid lights? I’ve been eyeballing a couple of the d series pro flood lights to replace my headlight with, I ordered a fourwerx XR hood So I’m ditching the stock headlight?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:28 PM
CJM
Truck Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
. How good are those rigid lights? I’ve been eyeballing a couple of the d series pro flood lights to replace my headlight with, I ordered a fourwerx XR hood So I’m ditching the stock headlight?
Rigid is some good stuff. I have the same lights and used them before. I was disappointed just how far the throw was with them however. Didnt throw the beam very far which imho is a must. I went with baja designs 10" lightbar and its much brighter. Main reason I went with them over rigid was they have a combo lens floods on the ends with spots in the middle

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...oduct-Page.asp

-2006 450R. New WHIP..

Last edited by CJM; 03-22-2019 at 08:33 PM.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:46 PM

@CJM how long ago did you try the Rigid lights? Rigid has upped the lumens on their lights twice in a fairly short period of time. I have bought new lights that are basically the same as lights I already have and they are three times brighter. The new Pro series are really nice. And with any lights, you want to make sure you get the right beam pattern for your application. Rigid has light bars with a flood/spot combo beam as well.

I have several sets of Rigids and they are WAY better than the cheap lights out there. I have them on all sides of my job trailer and after pulling it through rain, winters, and every thing else they still work great and have no moisture in them. I have also tried the eBay special lights just to see how bad they are and they are terrible! Moisture in the lens after a day, powdercoat flakes of instantly, they just suck. Rigids are worth the money. The only other LED lights I would recommend are the Truck Lite made in USA LED lights. I have lots of them and they are amazing as well. Super high quality, completely sealed lenses, and they are smokin bright!
jay3216 likes this.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:55 PM
CJM
Truck Yea

@hoser Honestly they are fairly old Duallys, probably 5 years old or better. I was never that impressed by them. I just for the heck of it went to rigids site, new driving beam ones have 6 lights in each and cost a whopping 400 bucks for 2..wowza

I wonder if i went wrong with the baja lightbar.. IDK..

-2006 450R. New WHIP..

Last edited by CJM; 03-22-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page