Honda TRX 450R banner

How to know if clutch plates/springs are bad?

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Immortal ATV 
#1 ·
Hi normally I'd check the manual for this but I don't have one for my 2005 trx450r and can't find a download for one. What my quad is doing is when I have the clutch pulled in and in first gear it wants to roll forward. Even if I push the little tab all the way forward that the clutch cable pulls on top of the left side of the case it still rolls forward so there's no way it can be my clutch cable. So I'm guessing it's the clutch plates/springs? So what I'm wondering is how to check if those are bad. I know I'm going to have to take them out but then what? Do I measure the plate thicknesses and compare them to certain specs? Never done a clutch before so any info is appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
Sounds more like your basket is notched. Way I always tested clutches is get up to a higher gear, the higher the better and let the bike get down in the lower rpm, way down in rpm. Then cram the throttle and if the bike accelerates normal than the clutch pack is fine. If the engine starts revving but not picking up speed then the clutch is slipping, it is a lot easier to notice in a high gear. There are several links to manuals in the engine section, probably under FAQ. It will have the specs for the clutch in it if you want to measure it.

#5 ·
Very well could be your clutch basket fingers that are grooved . Most guys will attempt to file it down to smooth them out if it's to not just you will have to just replace it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I'd look at it. If the oil smells burnt, then the fibers are probably fried. If the metals are dark blue then they were overheated, maybe warped. Measure the springs to tell if they are gone. Look at the basket and inner hub to see if it's grooved. Then replace what you need to. Tusk makes a decent, affordable clutch kit for lower HP motors:

Tusk Competition Clutch Kit with Heavy Duty Springs Honda TRX 450 - Immortal ATV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.