Left gas valve on, atv wont start? - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

So I have an 07 Honda TRX450er. I would say its still close to new. Just went through the first tune up not to long ago and has few hours on it since. The quad was running great and then I put it in my storage unit. We started the move process so I didnt make it back there for the past three months.

I realized that for the 3 months I left the gas valve ON. I tried starting the ATV and cant get it started. The battery finally died from me trying to start it. I checked the plug and its still good. Smells of gas pretty good. I tried pushing it in second gear and popping the clutch and cant get it started that way either.

What should I do maintenance wise to get this baby running again? Be for-warned I am not too engine/carb smart. Someone from work was saying I may have a drain bolt on my carb and I should turn the gas valve off and drain the stuff from the carb then turn gas back on and fire her up and that should work. Is there truth to that?

Thanks for any help... I hate owing 4k on something that isn't running, LOL.
NealLauderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
forced entry

Sounds like stale fuel. I would drain it and start with some fresh fuel. Disconnect the main fuel line at the carb and drain the tank. As for the carb, there is the main jet cover on the underside of the carb that looks like a large bolt head but, you do not have to remove it. Instead, when you drain it, there is a flat blade screw valve that will drain the fuel bowl out through a black fuel line that is routed from the bottom of the carb to the gap between the rear engine case and front of the swingarm. Just by loosening the screw valve will allow the fuel to be drained so there is no need to unscrew all the way out. Try new fuel and see what happens.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
450R Rider

Send a message via AIM to vcforlife15

theirs a screw on the carb to drain the float bowl. loosen that along with everything in your tank try fresh gas. give her a rip, if she doesnt start time to clean the carb!

http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com/
vcforlife15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
450r Dunner

prob. more to do with a weak battery and/or gas going bad than anything else

(I never shut my gas valve off)
08 trx400ex
08 trx250ex
2011 rzr S LE
jimmy450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to jesseray6537

Quote:
theirs a screw on the carb to drain the float bowl. loosen that along with everything in your tank try fresh gas. give her a rip, if she doesnt start time to clean the carb![/b]

turned the gas off...unscrew to bolt on the very bottom of the carb and let the fuel run out thats in the carb...thighten the screw back turn the fuel on and let it fill the bowl up in the card...a couple seconds...then it should fire...the gas in the tank will stay fresh for a while...but the gas in the card will go stale after a couple months...i did this to mine after a 4 month deployement and worked just fine...hope this helps
ATHENA PISTON STOCK COMP.
FULL LRD PRO4R EXHAUST
LRD PERFORMANCE JET KIT
BIG GUN REV BOX
PRO DESIGNED INTAKE KIT WITHOUT LID
PARKING BRAKE BLOCK OFF
AIR MIXTURE SCREW
15T FRONT
36T REAR

jesseray6537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement