Honda TRX 450R banner

Gearing help!

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Ltronier 
#1 ·
Here is my 'issue'

I need to win my brother in ALL of the races.
;)

Right now, our races consist of two main areas.

Ill do my best to explain it for you guys.

Race 1: Is a 800-900 ft race that's pretty steep, but its longer, and less steep then race 2, lasting about 25-30 seconds.

Race 2: Is about 700 ft and significantly steeper, the races last about 20 seconds.

I beat my brother all day long in Race 1 @ the top of third gear I'd say about 85-95% @ the top, just under the rev limiter. I pull on him from bottom, to top of the hill.

Race #2 is where I lose. I beat him up until about 3/4 of the hill, then he pulls on me [video @ bottom shows this at 2:50 ish].

I can do the 2nd race in 3rd gear, but I'm about half way to the power band (which is just under rev limiter) and I go faster in 2nd gear, but I'm ON the rev limiter almost the whole time.

Now... Here's where I need the help.

What should I do with my sprockets to get me as close to the power band for each race.

Lower rear sprocket and make third gear smaller, essentially?
Raise rear sprocket and make second gear larger?
Cut my losses and deal with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GngQmRnVReM

See less See more
#3 ·
The 450 is at the point on the hill in high gear where its just out of power' there's not a lot that can be done to fight that banshee off except less paddle and or motor work or both! as fast as that banshee comes on past mid hill, its gonna take some motor work to hold him off:frown2: or you can rent my bike for the weekend and give him a 4second head start:grin2:

#4 · (Edited)
That's not what I want to hear :frown2:

I beat him on flats, and the long hill..

I guess I can loose something :crying:

My third gear > his third gear. If i could just get into it with high enough Rpm.

But I don't to under gear for the rest of the stuff I beat him on. Oh well. Time to lose weight I guess

#5 ·
What is your current gearing?

Also riding position can affect acceleration substantially so make sure you have your weight where it needs to be. You are right though, I think if you get the rpms up in the sweet spot in third you'd have no problem.

And ya.. if you can shed a few lbs that wouldn't hurt either, I know I need to, haha.

Sent from my HTC using tapatalk.

#7 ·
Tell ya what, if you wanna go about this the cheap way, pull this extra weight off and youll have a race:grin2: remove ALL the front brake crap, and the rotors/upper motor mount/electric fan/front bumper! then go run him;) ps, just pray he never changes over to T5 pipes cause it would really be bad for ya:frown2:

#8 ·
CPI inframes are better than T5's I thought? According to BHQ and Kan Powersports :X

Like i said, I can beat him everywhere but this 1 hill. So I feel like my bike is faster gear for gear.

Ill try some gearing, and if still I cant beat him, oh well. 2 outta 3 isnt bad.

#9 ·
Not sure what's done too your bike ? But Face it dude you got too hop up your bike some more . [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.