Swingarm Bearing Installation - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
450R Rider

Default Swingarm Bearing Installation

I removed the bearings at the frame end of the swingarm without too many issues. Getting them back in is a bit more of a pain then I expected!

I don't have any bearing tools so I used a 3/8 bolt and washers to drive the one bearing in. It went in straight but now I'm out of ideas to get it in that extra 1/4". Do you think I could use the collar that sits in on the bearings outter lip to drive it in the rest of the way or would it flatten out?

I put both bearings in the freezer and the swinger in the sun.

Also is there anything I should know about installing the seals? I was reading the service manual and they said to measure the distance that you drive them in. I figured just drive the lower seal in until it hits the bearing and call it good?
derek_thompson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
300EX Rider

I just got through doing this. I used a socket that has a slightly smaller OD that the swingarm bearing to push the bearing in. I used a very large c-clamp to press it in the extra 1/4. You could use your 3/8 bolt if it's long enough of a vise. Make sure you put a piece of tape on the socket so you'll know what depth to go to. For the seals on the other side, I just put one all the way in there up against the bearing and the other one flush with the outside of the swingarm.
bobbo97f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
450R Rider

I gave it another go tonight. Bought some really low quality bolts at the local hardware store and the threads stripped before I even put any torque on them. Garbage. So I went back and bought a 1/2" bolt that barely fit through the bearing and it still wouldn't budge that extra little bit. So I figured I'd (hard to explain) put the bolt with the collar that goes in that extra 1/4" to keep it in place and then I started smackin it with a hammer. Just my luck, the bearings outter edge bent in and the bearing is ruined. I got it back out and threw it in the garbage. Now I'm going tt have to wait another month for the new bearing to get here.

On a good note I did get most the rebuild done, all I have to do is bleed my front brakes and install the rear end.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
250EX Rider

this is where old parts and large washers come in handy......i used a 17mm impact socket and that smashes them outta the swinger real easy.
to install, i used the heat up and freezer method and an old swing arm bolt with a STEEL bolt (something from a vw has the same thread, dont ask me, ive owned so many i dont know where i got it from) and you use the extra washers/collars and impact the bearing it cause it will go in straight and equal pressure will be applied to the side of the bearing.
punk rock kiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
450R Rider

It's getting pressed in at work tomorrow along with my hub bearings and seals. Then you guys can vote for QOTM for me! Lol
Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
250EX Rider

before i install the bearings i usually polish the inside on the swingarm with a diamond burr or emery clothe. U usually can install them with a dead blow hammer or a socket with a smaller o.d.
quadstard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
450R Rider

I wrecked my second one today at lunch. I was with the best mechanic we have at work and we used a bearing driver that was the same size as the od as the bearing. We pressed it in about an eighth of an inch and went to press some more and she crushed the outer lip AGAIN. He felt pretty bad and said he'd buy me one but I told him he could just bring beers and we'd do 'er up again tomorrow. He said we should polished the inside a little first so maybe I'll try that. If that doesn't work I guess I'll send it to the new Honda dealer in town. They can wreck the bearings all they want and replace em free! Haha. Wish me luck guys, I seriously need it at this point..
Old 02-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
300EX Rider

The last set I did tapped in with very light taps from a rubber mallet. The bearings came straight out of the freezer and into the swingarm. It was a JB swingarm so I don't know if that will make a difference or not. You might want to try hitting the swingarm with a heat gun in addition to putting the bearings in the freezer.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

definitely make sure you are freezing the bearings, they should go in with a decent blow. i used a socket and a mallet to get mine in.
ridingred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Wow Derek by the looks of it you will be buying some more bearings soon hahah. Here is a link to a great quality bearing shop with low prices. Trash all the bearings you want without going broke! lol Hope it helps. www.bossbearing.com
#77 York Racing

Aaron Symonds
#223 York Racing

Jonah Klein
#120 York Racing

~McNett Performance Suspension~
~Thanks to all the family and friends who support me!!!~

I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
York Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
300EX Rider

You could also use dry ice or a can of keyboard duster to get them really cold.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
450R Rider

I had them in the freezer since day one except for the very first bearing.

Yesterday I went and got 3 bearings and had 1 extra so 4 all together to start with. I let the same mechanic screw the first one up. Then I had a second mechanic think he was smarter then the first guy, so I let him screw the second one up. I had 2 more in the freezer so I told those two to sit back and watch me screw two up myself so they didn't feel bad. I pressed them both in (with quite a bit of force) and then I ended up using the flanged collar to push it in a little bit more so that the collar would be flush. I had polished the inside of the swinger each time btw. Then I went to the second side thinking my luck was about to run out and she went in smooth like butter. Then I used the collar again and she worked. I wasn't a huge fan of using those collars since they aren't a very heavy material, but they held up!

After I got the bearings in and made sure they weren't crushed and still in good working condition I started putting the seals in. Both the techs told me I was putting them in wrong, they didn't think that the one seal should go right to the needle bearing and the other at the end of the sleeve.. I had previously looked into the service manual and I remember them being in there like that in the first place, so I was 100% sure that's how they went. But they didn't think so. I'm starting to lose faith there.. but oh well.

I don't think I'll ever take a needle bearing out that doesn't need to be replaced ever again. I just figured it's the first time I've ever had the swinger off in the 8 years the quad has been alive so I should change them even though they were fine.

Anyways guys, 1-2 more solid days and my bike will be back in running condition!

It's in the project quad section under "Murdering the 04 - Teardown and Rebuild"
Old 02-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
450R Veteran

i ruined a bearing doing the same thing so i took it to the dealer and they did it for me. cheaper to pay them than to keep buying bearings you destroy haha
Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
450R Rider

Got them all installed put my rear shock on. Worked on the front end wiring and headlight for a bit then put the carb on. Couldn't seem to get the airbox in place! I've had the airbox off many-o-times and it wouldn't go in! Looked underneath and I put the fricken shock on backwards! I get too excited when I'm pullin wrenches and don't do things right.. lesson learned haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement