replacing rear axle bearings? - Honda TRX Forums: Honda TRX 450R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

hey guys im a newbie to the site, but i gotta say... i love it. i ride a stock 07 450r its nothing special but its my baby... but here is my problem

so i was riding some trails a while back and noticed a growling coming from the rear axle. (07 450r) at first i thought it was just sand and dirt caught up in the sprocket and chain, but after washing it and rinsing it out really good, it still made the noise so im pretty sure my bearings ar shot, however ive got some questions about tearing it down to replace them.

i can remove my caliper, rear wheels etc. but from there i dont really know where to go... is it nessesary to remove the cotterpin and castle nut on the hubs?

are any of the nuts left handed threads, and if so wich side? any one with an overall knowledge of how this thing comes apart could help would be greatly appreciated. pics are helpfull too (if you have any)
todyloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
300EX Rider

Oh Oh - I hope your bearing carrier isn't all chewed up. The only left handed threads are on the axle locknut. You can go to this link and download the service manual for the 06 which is the same as the 07.

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=29267

But yes, you have to remove hub from rotor side of axle, loosen up axle lock nut, remove stopper snap ring, chain, and chain guide. Then remove rear capliper, slide off rotor, and then slide axle out of bearing carrier. Then remove the large snap ring, large o-ring and caliper holder. Now slide bearing carrier out of the swingarm. Replace bearings and dust seals, and reassemble. Make sure to grease the seals and o-rings as you are reassembling it so you don't ruin any of them. Good Luck
dyechainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
450R Rider

Send a message via AIM to vcforlife15

adding one thing to his post. remove teh skid plate first. its a hassle working around it sometimes. other than that its pretty easy. would use pb blaster on the lock nut before trying to loosen it. it can be a pain sometimes!

http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com/
vcforlife15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
400EX Rider

Send a message via AIM to rallysoob

use the step by step instructions in the manual which you can download in .pdf format. (sry, dont have the link, if you cant find it PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy) Took me about 20mins to swap out the axle without any previous know-how. The Instructions are illustrated well, you wont be dissapointed. It's just about having the right tools. it's all in the literature...

Your going to have to take off the hub on the right side in order to slide the axle off and on. I believe you can keep the left hub on, shouldnt get in the way at all if I remember right; although with a good wrench it only takes a minute to take the hubs off

note: i know you said you have the caliper handled, just make sure you dont do what I almost did and unhook it completely... which would require to re-bleed the brakes. just pop it off the disc as if you were changing the brake pads

*also, dont take the brake apart until you take the hubs off 1st, you will want someone to hold the brake while you loosen those hub nuts... learn from my mistake

http://youtube.com/rallysoob
rallysoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
300EX Rider

Not sure whjy they never upgraded those bearings, but might be a good time to get an aftermarket if things are chewed up too bad. Taper bearing about bullet proof, but a dual row carrier are also a huge improvement.

Also a good reason not to get carried away with the pressure washer, those seals are no match for 1000psi plus.
04 GASGAS
01 Wolverine

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it." G. K. Chesterton
rrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

okay thanks for the tip
todyloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
400EX Rider

Send a message via AIM to rallysoob

REF: http://www.quadforce.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89

http://youtube.com/rallysoob
rallysoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

'05 stock 450 yeah I heard the same grinding sound thought it was time to replace the brakes got under there & a piece of the carrier bearing had broke off leaving the bearings exposed. I just replaced with a whole new assembly I found online for $100 bucks hopefully it'll last. It was a pretty big pain taking everything apart because of all the mud & grime built up in the threads of everything.
Def. need to buy the lock nut wrenches & a torch makes life a lot easier taking the axel out.
BrittTRD0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
TRX90 Rider

I have a 06 450r, i bought it on July4th 2012 and i need new rear bearings already. I have no idea how to change them cause i'm a 14 year old girl but would it tell in the manual ? cause i have the book for it.
TRX450rGirl<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX450rGirl<3 View Post
I have a 06 450r, i bought it on July4th 2012 and i need new rear bearings already. I have no idea how to change them cause i'm a 14 year old girl but would it tell in the manual ? cause i have the book for it.
It would not tell you in the owner manual, but in the service manual it would.
here is the service manual for ya on pdf

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/91024473/Hon..._2004-2009.pdf

Wise man say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
Idahovandals450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yep it will have a DIY in the Service Manual. There are a few tricks that it might not have in there. Like if you don't have anything to press the bearings in, throw them in the freezer for about an hour and lightly tap them in. It really helps if you throw the carrier in the oven for a bit to warm it up too. But if your parents don't want a carrier in their oven an enclosed grill will work. Just be sure to use gloves hahaha.
#77 York Racing

Aaron Symonds
#223 York Racing

Jonah Klein
#120 York Racing

~McNett Performance Suspension~
~Thanks to all the family and friends who support me!!!~

I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
York Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by York Racing View Post
Yep it will have a DIY in the Service Manual. There are a few tricks that it might not have in there. Like if you don't have anything to press the bearings in, throw them in the freezer for about an hour and lightly tap them in. It really helps if you throw the carrier in the oven for a bit to warm it up too. But if your parents don't want a carrier in their oven an enclosed grill will work. Just be sure to use gloves hahaha.
thanks for the tip, you have any other?? I just bought new axle/lsr carrier bearing/sprockets.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahovandals450r View Post
thanks for the tip, you have any other?? I just bought new axle/lsr carrier bearing/sprockets.
Only tap on the very outside race of the bearing. I always take a small pick and pop the seal on the bearing itself out and pack it with grease also. It seems like theres barely ever any grease in them if any when dealing with cheaper bearing companies. Be sure to put a thin layer of grease all over the seals and pack the inside lipped part with grease also. I've seen the springs on the inside rust and completely crumple apart. The grease seems to prevent that. If I think of anything else I will post it up. Good luck, Paul.
#77 York Racing

Aaron Symonds
#223 York Racing

Jonah Klein
#120 York Racing

I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
250EX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by York Racing View Post
Only tap on the very outside race of the bearing. I always take a small pick and pop the seal on the bearing itself out and pack it with grease also. It seems like theres barely ever any grease in them if any when dealing with cheaper bearing companies. Be sure to put a thin layer of grease all over the seals and pack the inside lipped part with grease also. I've seen the springs on the inside rust and completely crumple apart. The grease seems to prevent that. If I think of anything else I will post it up. Good luck, Paul.
another question should i get bigger channel locks or buy rocky mtn atv tusk axle wrench that are 23 bucks

Old 09-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahovandals450r View Post
another question should i get bigger channel locks or buy rocky mtn atv tusk axle wrench that are 23 bucks
Axle nut wrenches are nice but a pipe wrench will work in a pinch.
#77 York Racing

Aaron Symonds
#223 York Racing

Jonah Klein
#120 York Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement